PDA

View Full Version : Maxing a Warlock @ Level 1 !

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-02-09, 10:41 AM
I think I went about this wrong in another post. So how about a super not the most exciting optimization build.

What does it take to build the most damaging Warlock at Level 1.

Here is what I think (which is probably wrong, I've never played a Warlock)

-I'll expect to put a 16 in CHA and use Variant Human to get the Lucky Feat.

Cantrips
-Eldritch Blast, averages 5.5 points of damage on a hit
-What other Cantrip? Minor Illusion does no damage but is probably more useful than Poison Spray.

Spells L1
-Hex, ads 3.5 damage a hit all encounter long
-Burning Hands, 3D6 AOE! What's that, 3.5 x 3 damage so 10.5 with the chance of actually hitting a couple guys at once and no chance of not doing any damage!

Or should I take -Sleep from the ArchFey believe it or not. Its an area of effect spell that rocks at lower levels.
(Dissonant Whispers has been great for my Bard though and the save is only for half?)

What simple weapon do I want? Any real drawbacks to a Great Club? Its two handed but that shouldn't be a thing very often, right?

dreast
2018-02-09, 10:45 AM
Minor Illusion lets you do up to a 5'x5'x5' static image. That's more than enough to hide behind, and the rogue(s) in your party will thank you for it (and it takes an action for an enemy to make it useless for hiding against that enemy only, so it at least eats an action and at best gives you battlefield control... not a bad cantrip!).

Sleep is a good spell. Don't forget you can swap it out as soon as you get 2nd level spells (mirror image!), which makes this not the most important decision in the world. Hex is always worth having around, especially as your EB grows, of course.

Crgaston
2018-02-09, 07:24 PM
At level 1, it’s probably going to be a variant human using the Polearm Master feat (2 handed Quarterstaff) and Hex. 1d8+1d4+2d6+6 (avg 20) if both attacks land.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-09, 07:46 PM
At level 1, it’s probably going to be a variant human using the Polearm Master feat (2 handed Quarterstaff) and Hex. 1d8+1d4+2d6+6 (avg 20) if both attacks land.

Probably so. Choose Hexblade for additional damage vs the target of Hexblade's Curse (I believe that comes at level 1) and the ability to swing it with Charisma. That boosts damage to a quite consistent 24.

Sinon
2018-02-09, 08:46 PM
What simple weapon do I want? Any real drawbacks to a Great Club? Its two handed but that shouldn't be a thing very often, right?

I’m using a dagger over a great club – it is finesse-able and Strength is probably my second-lowest stat after Int.

Dex is second or third on my list, for AC and initiative and a save I will use a lot. As rarely as I want to rely on a weapon, I want a better to-hit over a higher damage.

Unless your intention is to focus on melee, and then you should consider a dip for weapons and armor or a race like drow for a rapier.

What others have said about the quarterstaff is good, but if melee is going to be your "thing", a dip in fighter gets you better armor and a glaive. If melee isn't, allocate your feats for what you are emphasizing.

(In your other post, you specified PHB only. That informs my response here as well.)

Willie the Duck
2018-02-09, 09:58 PM
What does it take to build the most damaging Warlock at Level 1.

Do you care at all what happens after level 1?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-02-09, 10:30 PM
Thanks dor the advice guys. I had not considered the blade.

Do you care at all what happens after level 1?

Yeah, we'll probably make it up to level 5 eventually.

I'm curious, what level one traps are you hinting at?