PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for Outsider/Aberration Rules: Progression via HD

GrayDeath
2018-02-09, 11:05 AM
Hi!

A Friend and myself will be DMing an upcoming Adventure.
Said adventure willf eature a lot of High Power Outsiders and some Aberrations, and we would like toa dvance them according to the rules as much as possible.
(Exact examples atm are Horned Devils, but other stuff is going to come up as well).

Now its been ages since I did that, and somehow I cant seem to remember where the rules for that were in....

I mean the general Table in the SRD is clear, but regarding new/improved Special Abilities and such I seem to remember there being rules as well....

Anyone willing to help me out?

Thanks!

GrayDeath
2018-02-12, 10:45 AM
So... are there no "hard rules" for it, or is it just that nobody wants to point me in the right direction?

Florian
2018-02-12, 10:59 AM
The rules are in the back of the Monster Manual/Bestiary. Each creature type has a generic racial advancement table, special abilities are advanced by a general formulae, also found in that section and they generally don't gain new abilities unless you apply a template or something is especially called out in the monster entry (like with Djinni and Noble Djinni). Advancement by class works as usual.

GrayDeath
2018-02-12, 05:18 PM
OK, so there isnt any particular Race advancement with new abilities outside Dragons and special Cases isted in the MM/Be, check.

Too bad.

Thanks.

Florian
2018-02-12, 05:29 PM
OK, so there isnt any particular Race advancement with new abilities outside Dragons and special Cases isted in the MM/Be, check.

Too bad.

Thanks.

Sorry. Nothing exciting about it. Maybe you misremembered the Savage Species rules?

GrayDeath
2018-02-12, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, since I only ever used them once (dont have Savage Species) that should not be it...... and I know what I remember was in a colored Book....
Ah well, must have been some third party stuff then.
WIll make do with the Guidelines for new Abilities then. ;)

Deadline
2018-02-12, 06:36 PM
Hmmm, since I only ever used them once (dont have Savage Species) that should not be it...... and I know what I remember was in a colored Book....
Ah well, must have been some third party stuff then.
WIll make do with the Guidelines for new Abilities then. ;)

You can make a variety of interesting fiends with the Half-Fiend template. They are all outsiders, so technically good there. I made an entertaining fiend for a PbP game here. The game died early on, but here's the sheet: Vilehorn The Bellower (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1278683).

But yeah, if you are just using the "Advance by HD" rules, then it's not particularly exciting. Just bigger, beefier versions of the regular fiends. Adding class levels spices things up dramatically. There are a handful of PrC's centered around fiends in the Fiend Folio I think. Fiend of Posession, Fiend of Corruption, and Fiend of Blasphemy. Those are some interesting ways to add abilities to existing fiends. You could also do so with Meldshaping Feats.

And if you don't have them yet, I recommend both of the Fiendish Codexes. Those cover Demons and Devils in-depth. It's a shame they never did one to cover Yugoloths. Oh well.

GrayDeath
2018-02-12, 07:09 PM
I have the Fiendish Codex 1 I think, somewhere. GOnna check it before we start.

And yeah, I know Class Levels can be MUCH better, and the ultimate Bosses are going to ahve them. But for the normal stuff I need (campaignwise) to keep it to "pure" Outsiders and Abarrations, hence the search for rules other than "Add X HD, thing gets one size category bigger, increase Saves and BAB".

Ah well, more work then. ^^

Thurbane
2018-02-12, 10:35 PM
This site can be quite handy: http://www.monsteradvancer.com/