PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Stealing from the Hulk.

FireCaller128
2018-02-10, 06:48 AM
I am working on a character that started life as a Minotaur Gladiator/ Slave. He requested to be permanently polymorphed to human. But in times of stress, low HP, etc., he transforms back.
Having trouble with mechanics to enable transformation back by party.

JackPhoenix
2018-02-10, 07:12 AM
Play a barbarian and say that Rage is actually transforming?

Specter
2018-02-10, 07:49 AM
Just like The Hulk can't control when he turns or not, neither should the player - make it clear to him that you will be the one deciding.

Caelic
2018-02-10, 08:39 AM
When I read the title, I got this horrifying mental image of a thief running down an alley with a pair of torn purple pants...

Unoriginal
2018-02-10, 09:33 AM
Just to say, "Stealing From the Hulk" would be an awesome name for an adventure module.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-10, 10:27 AM
Play a barbarian and say that Rage is actually transforming?
This is probably your best RAW solution.

strangebloke
2018-02-10, 02:25 PM
Just to say, "Stealing From the Hulk" would be an awesome name for an adventure module.
Great for a one shot.

You've pulled off the heist of the century, stealing the Hulk of Whitewall's most valued possession.

Now you have to survive the aftermath.

willdaBEAST
2018-02-10, 03:55 PM
As others have mentioned, a raging barbarian is probably the simplest replication. I'd argue that a moon druid with flavored bears could be closer in theme though. Then you could really emphasize the difference between the fragile scientist and a hulking monster. A big part of the Hulk is the duality of the character and I think you achieve more of that through a moon druid than a barbarian.

FireCaller128
2018-02-10, 09:02 PM
Great for a one shot.

You've pulled off the heist of the century, stealing the Hulk of Whitewall's most valued possession.

Now you have to survive the aftermath.

GREAT HOOK! I will definitely start on that.

FireCaller128
2018-02-10, 09:20 PM
As others have mentioned, a raging barbarian is probably the simplest replication. I'd argue that a moon druid with flavored bears could be closer in theme though. Then you could really emphasize the difference between the fragile scientist and a hulking monster. A big part of the Hulk is the duality of the character and I think you achieve more of that through a moon druid than a barbarian.

I considered the Barb Rage but it lacks the flavor of what I love most about the Hulk mythology, just as you mentioned. The Human side of the character is simpler for me. I had thought to use a Warlock whose Patron effected the polymorph.
The Mr. Hyde/Hulk-esque change to a raging Minotaur rests in the Infernal nature of both the Minotaur's origin and the nature of the Patron.
What I am having trouble with is a logical, not necessarily simple or safe; method for the party to both "aim" the beast and to effect the reverse transformation; besides a built in time limit and/or hp zero-out. I am considering a ring charmed for the specific Character, i.e.; a personalized charm monster like effect?

FireCaller128
2018-02-10, 09:26 PM
When I read the title, I got this horrifying mental image of a thief running down an alley with a pair of torn purple pants...

LOL!! That IS a really Bad Day for a thief.
Maybe he could run to an orc camp. Just hope he makes all his DEX rolls.

FireCaller128
2018-02-10, 09:34 PM
Just like The Hulk can't control when he turns or not, neither should the player - make it clear to him that you will be the one deciding.

I am working on a three angle qualifier. HP, Percentage Roll, my assessment of His emotional connection to the party and their danger level.
The new season of "Critical Role" and the relationship between Liam and Sam's characters has made me lean towards a similar symbiotic hook for the guy.

FireCaller128
2018-02-10, 09:38 PM
Please keep the awesome suggestions coming. This is exactly why I asked here.
:smallsmile:

Vogie
2018-02-13, 12:14 PM
I don't know, I really think creating a, for lack of better word, Monomorph spell would be put on the player, requiring concentration for them to put/keep it on.

Actually, a really niche form of Alter Self would be better - where you only can change appearance (no natural weapons or aquatic adaptation, or making yourself larger). Basically, Lessen Self.

I wouldn't have a problem, at my table, to give you an at-will Lessen Self as a warlock invocation, as it's basically a really, really terrible version of Disguise Self, so getting a sub-par version of Mask Of Many Faces would be par for the course.

Edit: Mask of Only One Face :smalltongue:

Joe the Rat
2018-02-13, 12:29 PM
Druid really is a strong contender for core function.

- Physical transformation, the only automatic ends being hit point reduction and time limit.
- An entirely different set of abilities (spellcasting) only usable when not transformed. In D&D magic covers a lot of science-things, and "Medical Origins" versions align well with strong Wisdom.
- No need for good physical stats to be good at beating things up; more points for that prodigious INT.
- Growing power allows for not just a reversion, but also an enhancement of the form.
- Gear transforming or not is at your discretion. Purple pants power activate!

Adding Barbarian (13 str, 13 con needed), and stipulating you only rage in wildshape gives you a controlled way to enhance forms... plus extend the hit point pool through resistance.

willdaBEAST
2018-02-13, 12:47 PM
Druid really is a strong contender for core function.

- Physical transformation, the only automatic ends being hit point reduction and time limit.
- An entirely different set of abilities (spellcasting) only usable when not transformed. In D&D magic covers a lot of science-things, and "Medical Origins" versions align well with strong Wisdom.
- No need for good physical stats to be good at beating things up; more points for that prodigious INT.
- Growing power allows for not just a reversion, but also an enhancement of the form.
- Gear transforming or not is at your discretion. Purple pants power activate!

Adding Barbarian (13 str, 13 con needed), and stipulating you only rage in wildshape gives you a controlled way to enhance forms... plus extend the hit point pool through resistance.

That might be the best of both worlds, since anger is pretty integral to the Hulk as a concept, that and the ability to take punishment. I like the idea that there can be different stages to it. The transformation is powerful, but if you make the transformation angry... Remember "brown bear" doesn't have to be what you transform into. If your DM is onboard "brown bear" can become "big green guy" or whatever flavor you want, even minotaur (using brown bear stats).

FireCaller128
2018-02-28, 03:57 AM
That might be the best of both worlds, since anger is pretty integral to the Hulk as a concept, that and the ability to take punishment. I like the idea that there can be different stages to it. The transformation is powerful, but if you make the transformation angry... Remember "brown bear" doesn't have to be what you transform into. If your DM is onboard "brown bear" can become "big green guy" or whatever flavor you want, even minotaur (using brown bear stats).

Excellent ideas! I had the concept & back story w/ no issue but I'm still learning the mechanics. I think y'all have given me a solution that keeps the integrity

GreyBlack
2018-02-28, 06:33 AM
I'm surprised no one has brought up a lycanthropy variant. You're a human afflicted with lycanthropy, with the trigger being that you transform into a minotaur when you get angry (maybe contingent on a wisdom save DC: 5+ damage dealt as per concentration)?

FireCaller128
2018-02-28, 10:06 PM
I'm surprised no one has brought up a lycanthropy variant. You're a human afflicted with lycanthropy, with the trigger being that you transform into a minotaur when you get angry (maybe contingent on a wisdom save DC: 5+ damage dealt as per concentration)?

Well the backstory is that the character started life as a Minotaur, soo...

GreyBlack
2018-03-01, 12:54 AM

And wolfweres are.....

;-)

Vogie
2018-03-01, 08:39 AM
From the UA, Primeval Guardian Ranger. It's very un-ranger-ish, which is why it didn't come immediately to mind, but for this concept it's perfect

Refluffed as turning into a minotaur instead of turning into a tree. You keep the transformation stats:

Your size becomes Large, unless you were larger.
Any speed you have becomes 5 feet, unless the speed was lower.
Your reach increases by 5 feet.
You gain a number of temporary hit points at the start of each of your turns. The number equals half your ranger level. When the form ends, you lose any temporary hit points you have from it.

Piercing Thorns could be explained as being so strong you piercing armor with your strikes
Ancient fortitude works fine as is, Rooted Defense could be indicative of you Hulk-smashing the ground while jumping, landing or both.
The 15th level ability doesn't fit, but if you're going to be dabbling in something like Warlock, Barbarian or Druid, that won't be a problem.

xen
2018-03-03, 08:44 AM
Ok so they're a minotaur that got bit by a person.

Once a normal raging minotaur, all he wanted was to kill all the PC's.

Until one fateful day, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Bit by a sleepy PC that mistook him for a side of beef...

Now, in times if great stress or just when he's tuckered out... he becomes...

Duh duh duhhhhhhh....

The Normal Guy!