PDA

View Full Version : Complex Traps?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-02-10, 06:02 PM
I really like the look of the "Complex Traps" bit in Xanathar's guide, but the samples are a bit sparse. Does anyone have a link to a good collection of these? Alternately, does anyone want to share ones they've come up with?

MrStabby
2018-02-10, 07:20 PM
I havent seen these yet. Are they similar to the UA complex traps?

I loved those - probably the best unearthed arcana by quite some way for me.

Chugger
2018-02-10, 11:00 PM
Haven't spent that much time in XgtE - let me look at it to see what you mean - will get back to you.

Tetrasodium
2018-02-11, 12:06 AM
There aren't any examples in xge, but they sound a lot like a challenge (https://fate-srd.com/fate-core/challenges) (as opposed to a contest (https://fate-srd.com/fate-core/contests), or a conlict (https://fate-srd.com/fate-core/conflicts)) in fate & the writeup there has a lot of examples.
Basically thing a seres of obstacles while under the gun for time like all the stuff going on just before most every time indiana jones needs to scramble for his hat.

For example (https://youtu.be/WFFgSu2fnGI?t=150)

as you are crossing the rickety rope bridge that seems hundreds of years old, the fraying ropes begin to snap gimme a dex save
It was only like dc8 so you you you & you pass & manage to cling to something in time, but some of your guides & cultists others don't & fall to the river below
The falling bridge swings down to slam into the cliffside gime a strength save to hang on
Great! those of you still clinging to the bridge hear the soundsof your guides screaming as giant river gators begin to devour them along with some of the cultists who were following you. However, the cultists who hung on are climbing towards you
meanwhile the cultists who rode the other side of the bridge are setting up with bows on the other side of the canyon & that is when the boards crack dropping a cultist ahead of you after he fails his save to grab something
hmm, yea shield could let you deflect him if you aren't feeling good about using dex as a dump stat.
as you manage to barely bounce the cultist off your shield spell you notice the cultist being torn apart, give me a con save to resist your body's urge over the gruesome sight
while you are climbing up again, one of the cultists has climbed down to begin kicking you in the face
.. after that bit of back & forth struggle of him kicking & you pulling he winds up pretty much level with you on the dangling bridge. Given the situation you are pretty much restricted to a straight up brawl & dex is not really going to help you because you are both clinging to the bridge.
It seems like you are beating him in the brawl when the cultist sticks his hand on you & begins draining the life away with vampyric touch to completely turn the tables
Yea, you can pull his arm away to punch him with it, but make a strength check at disadvantage
after smacking the cultist good he begins climbing away, but con save
not good enough, but you are left gasping for air & clutching your heart long enough for him to drop a cultist on you & call for the archers to fire!
those moments of fighting the cultist & trying to protect yourself from the arrows gives the cultleader a chance to catch up to the halfling & the bard!
.... annnd they stomp on his hands until he falls on you!
you both manage to grab on, but he begins fighting you for control over your pack with the macguffin!
you start channeling your shocking grasp through the pack while chanting to the cultist's dark god causing the macguffin to begin burning through the pack
so on & so forth

this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b5aYKaKc6I) with the ants & nazi's is a better one in some ways. I couldn't find a video, but the fight scene with the tribal folks attacking indy & co in crystal skull while they are trying to unlock the sand locks is another good one. The opera scene in mission impossibe rogue nation has multiple people working together in a fairly simple but traplike situation. [url=""]The dive scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU2TU--E6OE) from mi rogue nation is unquestionably a posterchild for a complex trap. in my experience, players don't care if you play with the rules a little for stuff like that as long as they can creatively play back (ie like using shield or shocking grasp above& fairlygive them enough opportunities to be incredible.

Chugger
2018-02-11, 02:56 AM
I looked at the complex trap examples in XgtE and like you, I was underwhelmed. The first one was a mess and not at all original - standard Indy Jones stuff - and way too much dice rolling with no intelligence required to solve. At least the second one allowed players to wonder where the poison was coming from and clog the pipes - as a solution.

The most clever and inventive "complex trap" I've seen in 5e I encountered while playing a module at AL - it's called "Cloaks and Shadows". And the trap is the trip the party can take to the inventor's house.

Spoiler warning - if you might play this module you may not want to continue reading.

Basically the party has been blamed for a murder they didn't commit and are being hunted by the city guard. While at the inventor's house the city guard arrives outside and demands entrance. The inventor says to delay them _and_ help him do finishing touches on his flying machine so you can fly away and escape.

At least one party member must go to the door and try to delay the guard. This can be as stupid as an intimidation roll - at least you have to know to send someone good at that - or other - you can do all sorts of stuff to delay them if you're creative.

At least one party member has to help the inventor gather his notes before he's willing to leave. This is a perception roll. A certain number must be made and then the inventor says all his notes are found, he's ready to leave.

At least one party member has to help put the finishing touches on the flying machine itself, which is an int roll. If you roll below 10 you actually damage it and set back progress. A dc 15 must be hit to make a unit of progress - and x units of progress have to be hit before it is flight-worthy.

If the guard catches you, you can bribe your way out later (way too many guards to just kill or beat into unconsciousness) - you lose exp because you didn't solve the encounter - but if you can get airborne before they reach the top floor...

...you get to make other dice checks to either fly to safety or not.

Anyway, I thought it was very creative - and even if DC heavy you did have to figure out whom to assist. It's the int DC guy, because only his roll on a heavy fail = a set-back. Guidance and assist or help (to get adv) that guy. Not the person finding papers.

It's hard to cast spells on the guard because no windows - it's designed so you can't easily trick them - you shout through door - there is no door slot either. But if you're clever you can find ways to delay them.

Finlam
2018-02-12, 02:15 AM
I have put out one complex trap. It's a little unusual for a 5E trap in that it takes a perfectly innocuous task (climbing the stairs on a tower) and turns it into a deadly encounter where the entire party will probably drown.

It's originally published here (http://purplelizardman.com/finlam/the-tower-of-tears/).

Stairwell of Tears
Complex Trap (level 3-6, dangerous threat)

Background: Hidden within the cursed walls of the Larmes Keep, there is a cold, stone stairwell that winds its way up to a room atop a spire. In days long passed the Lord Larmes had fallen madly in love with the princess of a neighboring country. His status was not enough to secure her hand. When his attempts failed, she was betrothed to a prince and though they met only a few times, they found a rare, true love. The strength of their love inspired a rage in Lord Larmes that was equally strong.*

On the eve of their wedding, the lord of the keep kidnapped the princess, stole her wedding gifts, and locked them away in the tower. The Prince did not hesitate to pursue them, brave the traps of the keep, and to fight off the Lord's guard, until at last he came to the steps of the tower. As he climbed the stairs and approached the door to room where the princess stayed, the Lord Larmes crept up behind him and slew him at the door. The Princess, cried at the loss of her love and the rage of her broken heart became a curse cast over the tower. Her tears flowed as mighty river and flooded the tower, drowning the Lord Larmes and herself in maelstrom of her sorrow.

Description: The tower is 80 feet tall, with stone steps winding around the walls of the tower. The steps are difficult terrain.* A creature must traverse 160 feet to reach the door at the top.

Trigger: This trap activates as soon as any creatures reach 20 feet up the stairway (about 40 feet of movement). The entrance door of the tower slams shut and locks as if under the effect of an Arcane Lock spell.

Initiative: This trap acts on initiative count 10 (for the first face) 14 (for the second face) and 18 (for the third face)

Active Elements: When the trap is activated, the stone face of the heartbroken princess emerges from the wall. She is distraught and begins asking the PCs (addressing no one in particular) if they have seen her betrothed prince.

Distraught Face 1 (Initiative 10): The PCs have 1d4 rounds to calm the stone face with a DC 15 Charisma (Persuasion) check. On each successful persuasion check, she will continue pressing them for details about the her prince for the next 1d4 rounds, at which point the persuasion check must be repeated.

If 1d4 rounds pass without a successful Persuasion check to calm the stone face, she begins to sob violently. Tears flow from her eyes and other stone faces emerge from the walls to begin crying. The tears flow down the stairs in a torrent and each attempt to move up or stand on the stairs requires a DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If this check is failed, the PC is unable to make progress up the stairs, if it is failed by more than 5, the PC is swept 10 feet down the staircase.

If this stone face is crying at the end of its turn, tears fill the tower, raising the water level by 5 feet.

Distraught Face 2 (Initiative 14): When the PCs reach 40 feet up the stairwell, the stone face of Lord Larmes appears. He cries out in desperation, asking why she does not love him. As with Distraught Face 1, every 1d4 rounds requires a DC 15 Charisma (Persuasion) check. On a success, the stone face is placated for 1d4 rounds. On a failure, it begins to weep. Tears flow from its eyes and they eyes of hundreds of other stone faces that emerge, sweeping down the stairs in a torrent. Each attempt to move up or stand on the stairs requires a DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If this check is failed, the PC is unable to make progress up the stairs, if it is failed by more than 5, the PC is swept 10 feet down the staircase.

If this stone face is crying at the end of its turn, tears fill the tower, raising the water level by 5 feet.

Distraught Face 3 (Initiative*18): When the PCs reach 60 feet up the stairwell, the stone face of the Defeated Prince appears. He cries out in desperation, calling to his love; she is so close, but he cannot reach her.*

As with Distraught Face 1, every 1d4 rounds requires a DC 15 Charisma (Persuasion) check. On a success, the stone face is placated for 1d4 rounds. On a failure, it begins to weep. Tears flow from its eyes and they eyes of hundreds of other stone faces that emerge, sweeping down the stairs in a torrent. Each attempt to move up or stand on the stairs requires a DC 10 Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If this check is failed, the PC is unable to make progress up the stairs, if it is failed by more than 5, the PC is swept 10 feet down the staircase.

Drowning:*As the tears begin to fill up the tower the PCs may begin to drown. See rules for Suffocating on page 183 of PHB (why are there no rules for drowning?)

Escape (Breaking into the Tower):*The door at the top of the stairs is sealed shut and will require a DC 20 Strength check to break it down. Once in the tower room, the PCs may loot it to their hearts content as the water level rises. Eventually, the water will flood the room.*

The PCs can escape through the window up to the roof, with only a DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check. In 1d4 hours, the water will subside and the curse of the tower will be inert for the next 24 hours.

Escape (Hidden Passage):*A DC 18 Investigate check reveals that behind Distraught Face 2 is a secret passage. Once the passage is found, it can be opened by pushing on a brick in the wall. It leads to a thin stair that winds its way around the outside of the tower. PCs can use their Climb speed to move along the stair, hugging the wall to reach the top of the tower.

Each move along the wall requires a DC 10 Athletics check. One failure means that PC has nearly fallen and is barely clinging to the edge, wasting their move. If they fail a second time, the PC falls from the tower.

After moving 120 feet along the staircase in this way, the PCs will arrive at the window to the tower room where they may climb in.*Once in the tower room, the PCs may loot it to their hearts content as the water level rises. Eventually, the water flow under the door and will flood the room.*

The PCs can escape through the window up to the roof, with only a DC 15 Athletics or Acrobatics check. In 1d4 hours, the water will subside and the curse of the tower will be inert for the next 24 hours.

The original post is a lot easier on the eyes. You can find it here (http://purplelizardman.com/finlam/the-tower-of-tears/).

Joe the Rat
2018-02-12, 12:14 PM
My players are about to get into a vault of First Age Giant wonders... which also includes security/pest control. I'm using it to try out some complex system ideas.

I'm adapting the poison vortex trap into a cold gas trap.

I have a Death Ray "vermin defense system" I am stealing and adapting from Demonac's Polaron security system:
The bottom 10 feet of the walls and display stands in this room are covered in a strange blue metal. There are two guardians (I'm using Large-sized Helmed Horrors for the base, adjust as best fits your party level) bearing massive tower shields of the metal. The other hand is a triangle grip on a clanking, oversized forearm. The corners of the room are set at 45-degree angles.

Actions:
20: A panel slides up, revealing a Dragon-head statue holding a crystal in its mouth. The crystal begins to glow
10: a 10' wide ray blasts from the mouth for (setback-level) damage. The head retracts and you hear mechanical sounds at it moves to a new location (random).
Shield guards move on their initiative. They may ready an action to set and angle its shield.

The blue metal reflects the ray like a mirror - a straight-on hit essentially stops it, but an angled hit, such as at the corners of the room or bounced off a shield will redirect the beam (for those characters smart enough to hide between the pillar-like display cases). The guardians are programmed not to direct beams upwards, but have a 30' hook-shot to try and grab fliers and drag them down to get fried.

Disabling the system can come in a variety of ways - destroying the emitter being the most obvious. A head-on beam simply gets absorbed by the crystal, but an angled shot would damage the stonework. Forcing the plates shut (or preventing it from opening) will either force a reset or stall for a round. Anyone who wants to risk getting inside the wall will have a new hazard (grinding gears), but will have an opportunity to thieves' tool things apart.

Or you could enter the 4-digit code on the security panel, if you know it, and can reach it 12' off the ground. Something a little less Barrier Peaks would be having a carved key that deactivates the system.

Shulk
2018-02-12, 12:21 PM
So, generally, these are traps with multiple phases to them, correct? Just so I don't mess up when giving an example if I try...

Marcloure
2018-02-12, 12:39 PM
I looked at the complex trap examples in XgtE and like you, I was underwhelmed. The first one was a mess and not at all original - standard Indy Jones stuff - and way too much dice rolling with no intelligence required to solve. At least the second one allowed players to wonder where the poison was coming from and clog the pipes - as a solution.

The most clever and inventive "complex trap" I've seen in 5e I encountered while playing a module at AL - it's called "Cloaks and Shadows". And the trap is the trip the party can take to the inventor's house.

Spoiler warning - if you might play this module you may not want to continue reading.

Basically the party has been blamed for a murder they didn't commit and are being hunted by the city guard. While at the inventor's house the city guard arrives outside and demands entrance. The inventor says to delay them _and_ help him do finishing touches on his flying machine so you can fly away and escape.

At least one party member must go to the door and try to delay the guard. This can be as stupid as an intimidation roll - at least you have to know to send someone good at that - or other - you can do all sorts of stuff to delay them if you're creative.

At least one party member has to help the inventor gather his notes before he's willing to leave. This is a perception roll. A certain number must be made and then the inventor says all his notes are found, he's ready to leave.

At least one party member has to help put the finishing touches on the flying machine itself, which is an int roll. If you roll below 10 you actually damage it and set back progress. A dc 15 must be hit to make a unit of progress - and x units of progress have to be hit before it is flight-worthy.

If the guard catches you, you can bribe your way out later (way too many guards to just kill or beat into unconsciousness) - you lose exp because you didn't solve the encounter - but if you can get airborne before they reach the top floor...

...you get to make other dice checks to either fly to safety or not.

Anyway, I thought it was very creative - and even if DC heavy you did have to figure out whom to assist. It's the int DC guy, because only his roll on a heavy fail = a set-back. Guidance and assist or help (to get adv) that guy. Not the person finding papers.

It's hard to cast spells on the guard because no windows - it's designed so you can't easily trick them - you shout through door - there is no door slot either. But if you're clever you can find ways to delay them.

This really reminds me of 4e Skill Challenges. I thought they have dropped the concept of that, but I'm glad to see they masked it instead of just never doing again (even though I think explicitly "ruling" Skill Challenges would encourage more DMs to do it).

Zejety
2018-02-13, 06:14 AM
I've written one for D&December but be warned that it was written in 1 day and I've yet to play test it; the numbers might well be completely bonkers.

Check out the Guardian Glade: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1BZXOmVfG

N810
2018-02-13, 10:16 AM
https://youtu.be/23Hzq8BG2YE