PDA

View Full Version : BSA Eagle Project

Dawn
2007-08-27, 10:10 AM
I'm only a life scout, but has anyone else gotten Eagle? If so, what was your project?

Gaelbert
2007-08-27, 10:13 AM
We had a thread like this a few months ago, but it died off. I achieved Eagle in June, and my project was to install an irrigation system and flowers in a dirt strip of land.

Dawn
2007-08-27, 10:15 AM
Oh...I'm looking for inspiration for mine. I've still got a few years to go though.

Jacklu
2007-08-27, 10:18 AM
I got Eagle in 2005. My project was mapping the trails on a local mountain, constructing and installing an information kiosk at the base of said mountain, making and installing trail signs, and make brochures with the map on them and handing them out to local businesses for distribution.

Brickwall
2007-08-27, 10:22 AM
A friend of mine, who was actually the youngest Eagle scout in history for a short while (somebody broke his record), made wooden chessboards and sets for I think a nursing home. Five of them. And they were very nice ones. Took him a good while, and I'm not sure where he got access to the tools. But I never heard about it from him until it was in the paper, so it obviously didn't take up too much of his life.

Dawn
2007-08-27, 10:26 AM
All of these construction things, and yet it says boy scouts are not allowed to use power tools. I used table saws and crap unsupervised in school, and school is more saftey concerned than scouts. :smallmad:

Ranis
2007-08-27, 11:08 AM
I built and set up 114 bat houses across state parks all over Indiana.

HyramGraff
2007-08-27, 11:11 AM
The point of your Eagle Project is not to do the work yourself but to lead others in doing the work. That's why it's called a leadership project.

Oh and yes, I am an eagle scout. For my projcet I coordinated a Bible Bowl tournament.

Jacklu
2007-08-27, 11:36 AM
One of my friend's project was organizing an event where people could bring in old mercury thermometers and trade them for newer, more environmentally consciouses digital models. He got a local business to donate all the new thermometers and another to cover the cost of safely disposing of the mercury ones.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-27, 11:44 AM
I'm a 1st class scout, but several of my friends have completed eagle projects.

one of them put up a birdhouse with a camera that streams onto the web (its in the backyard of the local elem. school, they use it in class alot), one put up stone benches at his synagogue, several have collaborated to start a nature trail at the Church that sponsors us.

reorith
2007-08-27, 01:38 PM
my eagle scout project was back in the summer of 2000. i repainted and repaired the storage thingys of the camarillo family ymca.

yep.

Mad Scientist
2007-08-27, 02:44 PM
My other half's project was planting a small arboretum (tree species garden) at a local elemantary school. Got a business to donate some baby trees and planted them himself. The hardest part was convincing some upset parents at a school board meeting that the trees would not interfer with the little baseball field. Who would think that people would be upset so much by someone wanting to plant trees? The only bad thing was that he didn't arrange properly for the school to care for them and lots of them died.
Someone else in his troop build a nice sturdy wooden bridge over a little stream on a popular walking path to make it wheelchair friendly. He had to get permission from the parks department, get a permit, and get his design approved. So, a bit more involved, but a nice project.