PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Falcata or scimitar for S&B inquisitor?

Nadlor
2018-02-11, 02:02 PM
Hello, everyone.

I'm preparing a character for the CotCT campaign. Group needs a tank and could use some divine magic, so after giving it a lot of thought I think I'm going for a sword and board dwarf inquisitor. Before I post my planned build to gather your feedback and criticism, let me explain the character creation rules in place for our campaign:

- Only Core rulebook and APG are allowed. No exceptions.
- No multiclass allowed except to apply for a prestige class and then to follow it. No other exceptions.
- Racial favored class bonuses giving extra spells to spontaneous casters are forbidden. No exceptions.
- Some other minor restrictions, like some forbidden feats and combos, but I don't think any of those affect my build.

So I'm thinking on a dwarf inquisitor of Abadar. I know other gods (like Sarenrae) might be mechanically more optimized, but I'm set on Abadar for RP reasons. I also want to go S&B because I want to be very tanky, so that's also decided. From there on, optimization is the priority.

I'm aware that a TWF S&B build is too feat intensive for an inquisitor, especially with the restrictions above, so what I'm thinking is to build a classic two-handed weapon inquisitor that can also use a shield. My current build involves using a quickdraw shield and the quickdraw feat, in order to be able to do two-handed attacks with a one-handed weapon in my turn, and still have a shield between turns (I checked with my DM and this particular combo is allowed). Since I'll wield a one-handed weapon, I will also be able to do attacks of opportunity between turns (in this case, wielding the weapon in one hand). I plan on having non-magic weapon, shield and mithral full plate. Rod of extend lesser + magic vestment x 2 (shield and armor) + magic weapon would give me the magic bonuses that I need for the whole day, every day. Bead of Karma (from string of prayer beads) can be added to further improve all these bonuses every morning when casting those spells for the day. With this + steel soul + stalward, I think the tank part is covered.

Starting attributes and progression (20 point buy): STR 16, CON 14 (12+2), DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 16 (14+2), CHA 6 (8-2). All increases into STR.

Expected feat progression is
1: Heavy armor proficiency. 3: Quickdraw. 5: Power Attack. 7: Exotic weapon proficiency (falcata) 9: Combat Reflexes. 11: Improved critical (falcata). 13: Steel Soul.

For Teamwork bonus feats I'm thinking
3: Precise Strike. 6: Outflank. 9: Lookout. 12: Paired Opportunists.

Potential domains: Protection and Travel.

Group includes a ranger who also has the outflank feat.

Any thoughts? I can't decide if I should go for Falcata or Scimitar proficiency. With Outflank, I can grant my ranger ally a an AoO when I crit. His AoO will then give me another AoO thanks to paired opportunists. This makes a high crit range weapon very important for the build, favoring scimitar over falcata (15-20 vs 17-20 after improved critical). But 17-20 is not bad, and the x3 crit range is quite tempting. Besides, I'm not sure if that's the beast order for feat progression, and I would like love to hear trait suggestions!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Florian
2018-02-11, 02:32 PM
S&B TWF is still fine on an Inquisitor, you just don't have to go all that deep into the necessary feat chains. Basic TWF, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Master, then Twin Bane to round it out.

I'm actually a bit skeptical with your choice of Abadar, as that will lead to major trouble when it comes to the main plot of that AP.

Nadlor
2018-02-11, 04:28 PM
S&B TWF is still fine on an Inquisitor, you just don't have to go all that deep into the necessary feat chains. Basic TWF, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Master, then Twin Bane to round it out.

I would also need martial weapon proficiency: shield, since a shield as a weapon is a martial one. That's way too many feats considering I also need power attack, heavy armor proficiency, proficiency in an adequate weapon with a good crit range, improved reflexes, and improved critical (these days last two are prerequisites for paired opportunists). And that's if I forget about steel soul, which is awesome. Being able to multiclass Fighter would change things A LOT, but since that's not an option I don't really think I can go the TWF route.

I'm actually a bit skeptical with your choice of Abadar, as that will lead to major trouble when it comes to the main plot of that AP.

Mmh. I'll have to check with my DM, then. Worshipping Sarenrae does not fit at all with what I had in mind RP-wise, though.