PDA

View Full Version : absolute power corrupts absolutely

Aliquid
2018-02-11, 02:06 PM
So, imagine you were suddenly given super-powers. Anything you want, super strength, nigh invulnerability, mind control... you name it.

There are no other super powers out there, no super villans... everyone else in the world is just normal like they are today.

How long until the power goes to your head and you become corrupt?

Would you try to be a super-hero? A world dictator? Do you think you could avoid the temptations of corruption?

— edit —
Ok one exception. You can’t have a super power that stops you from being corrupted. Otherwise that’s the obvious answer.

Tvtyrant
2018-02-11, 02:13 PM
I don't even think I would try to stop myself, honestly. If I was say Superman my first act would be to begin carving up outer space, pushing ships full of people I like to their new space colonies. The ships would be paid for by delivery of people I don't particularly like to different space colonies.

Mystic Muse
2018-02-11, 02:16 PM
Step one: Force myself to become omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent simultaneously (or in the opposite of that order).
Step 2:????
Step 3: profit.

Because the easiest way to prevent yourself going mad with power, is making it so you won't do so in the first place.

Comrade
2018-02-11, 02:50 PM
Well, I always did imagine (whenever this question comes up, I don't just sit around thinking 'gee, I'd better have a superpower in mind in case a magic genie offers me one or something') I'd opt for omnilingualism over any other superpower if I had the chance. Not much you can corrupt that with. I suppose the worst you could do is pretend you don't speak a given language and snoop on folks' conversations, but you can do that without the superpower, too. If anything I'd just use it to try and preserve moribund languages.

Aliquid
2018-02-11, 02:56 PM
Step one: Force myself to become omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent simultaneously (or in the opposite of that order).
Step 2:????
Step 3: profit.

Because the easiest way to prevent yourself going mad with power, is making it so you won't do so in the first place.yeah I thought of that right after I posted... I’m going to change the original post...

Frozen_Feet
2018-02-11, 03:02 PM
I've done this thought experiment enough times that I know I'll be back to lazing in my apartment. Right after I've erased a certain rogue nation off the map.

After that, I can't say. It depends on how fast people figure it was me and how much they insist on pestering me about it.

Mystic Muse
2018-02-11, 03:07 PM
— edit —
Ok one exception. You can’t have a super power that stops you from being corruptible. Otherwise that’s the obvious answer.

The ability to heal any disease, illness, affliction wound, ETC. No matter how bad.

If I could get nigh-invulnerability/immunity to pain so I can't be assassinated, or tortured, and can effectively help people in extremely dangerous places, even better.

Liquor Box
2018-02-11, 03:13 PM
It depends what you mean by corrupt. Is personally profiting from your superpower corrupt (eg, by charging for special services)? Usually, the word implies dishonesty, but I think that's is not what you mean?

Florian
2018-02-11, 03:13 PM
Do you think you could avoid the temptations of corruption?

For a while. Only out of fear to test out the limits of it. Even with full Superman powers, I don't know how long it would take me to really test if the whole being bullet proof thing works or whether being nuked is survivable or not. After that phase passed? Welcome your new overlord!

Tvtyrant
2018-02-11, 03:21 PM
It depends what you mean by corrupt. Is personally profiting from your superpower corrupt (eg, by charging for special services)? Usually, the word implies dishonesty, but I think that's is not what you mean?

I think here they mean how long until a real superhero begins changing the status quo? In cape stories they aren't allowed to make a difference in the world, because it would disrupt the viewers suspension of disbelief. So superheroes always uphold the status quo, acting like demi-god beat cops.

I take corruption here to mean "subverting the status quo," like overthrowing despots, ending poverty, etc.

hamishspence
2018-02-11, 03:25 PM
I figured this was the OP's trope for "superpowers & corruption":

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScrewTheRulesIHaveSupernaturalPowers

Aliquid
2018-02-11, 03:31 PM
I think here they mean how long until a real superhero begins changing the status quo? In cape stories they aren't allowed to make a difference in the world, because it would disrupt the viewers suspension of disbelief. So superheroes always uphold the status quo, acting like demi-god beat cops.

I take corruption here to mean "subverting the status quo," like overthrowing despots, ending poverty, etc.I wouldn’t call that corrupted.

Subvert the status quo all you want. Be a benevolent dictator, end all wars... etc. That isn’t corrupt.

Corrupt is when you become one of the bad guys. When you become mad with power.

Making the world a better place is good. Profiting and not helping is ok... I guess. Making anyone who disagrees with you suffer, then you are corrupt.

I figured this was the OP's trope for "superpowers & corruption":

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScrewTheRulesIHaveSupernaturalPowers
The quote that is in the title of the thread is well over 100 years old... way older than super heroes. But that link is a good example of what I would mean by becoming corrupt.

hamishspence
2018-02-11, 03:39 PM
Subvert the status quo all you want. Be a benevolent dictator, end all wars... etc. That isn’t corrupt.

Enforcing one's "way" and one's hatred of war upon others might cross the line into tyranny though:

C.S. Lewis:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”

Frozen_Feet
2018-02-11, 03:39 PM
I don't remember where the exact quote of "absolute power corrupts absolutely", but one memorable usage of it was Christopher Lee discussing Sauron and the One Ring in an interview.

In that context, the meaning of "corruption" was fairly obvious: "how long untill you decide the little people don't matter and start treating the world as your personal sandbox?"

hamishspence
2018-02-11, 03:41 PM
I don't remember where the exact quote of "absolute power corrupts absolutely", but one memorable usage of it was Christopher Lee discussing Sauron and the One Ring in an interview.

A bit of history on the quote, and slightly older, slightly different formulations of it:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/absolute-power-corrupts-absolutely.html

Tvtyrant
2018-02-11, 03:51 PM
I wouldn’t call that corrupted.

Corrupt is when you become one of the bad guys. When you become mad with power.

Making the world a better place is good. Profiting and not helping is ok... I guess. Making anyone who disagrees with you suffer, then you are corrupt.

The quote that is in the title of the thread is well over 100 years old... way older than super heroes. But that link is a good example of what I would mean by becoming corrupt.

Everyone is out to make the world a better place, it is the definitions of better that become problematic.

Unlimited power means unlimited ability to get what you want, which is probably not what a substantial number of other people want. If only 1% of people disagree with you, 800,000,000 do.

hamishspence
2018-02-11, 03:56 PM
Everyone is out to make the world a better place, it is the definitions of better that become problematic.

Unlimited power means unlimited ability to get what you want, which is probably not what a substantial number of other people want. If only 1% of people disagree with you, 800,000,000 do.

That figure is 1 order of magnitude too high - it's 80 million, not 800 million, in a world with 8 billion people.

Still, the basic point is sound.

I'd probably, at least for a while, try not to change stuff, or enforce my will on anyone else - my interest would be more exploring. See what's at the bottom of the ocean, or (if at the high end of the Superman power scale) on the other side of the universe.

Tvtyrant
2018-02-11, 03:59 PM
That figure is 1 order of magnitude too high - it's 80 million, not 800 million, in a world with 8 billion people.

Still, the basic point is sound.

I'd probably, at least for a while, try not to change stuff, or enforce my will on anyone else - my interest would be more exploring. See what's at the bottom of the ocean, or (if at the high end of the Superman power scale) on the other side of the universe.

I was referring, of course, to the colossal sentient mouse demographic and not simply adding 1 too many zeroes :P

Exploration would be awesome, as would be colonization and ensuring no asteroids blow up Earth for a while.

2D8HP
2018-02-11, 04:00 PM
So, imagine you were suddenly given super-powers. Anything you want.....

.....How long until the power goes to your head and you become corrupt?.

Me?

You could counts the seconds on your fingers.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/8443/APR030167_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Florian
2018-02-11, 04:04 PM

The fun thing with absolute power is that you don't have to care about such concepts like free will and human rights and dignity. Oh boy, if I had the power to force my vision of what is good and necessary on the world, mete out punishment as I see fit... society would probably break.

Brother Oni
2018-02-11, 04:16 PM
Well, I always did imagine (whenever this question comes up, I don't just sit around thinking 'gee, I'd better have a superpower in mind in case a magic genie offers me one or something') I'd opt for omnilingualism over any other superpower if I had the chance. Not much you can corrupt that with. I suppose the worst you could do is pretend you don't speak a given language and snoop on folks' conversations, but you can do that without the superpower, too. If anything I'd just use it to try and preserve moribund languages.

Depends on whether your ability can decipher an encrypted message. If it can, there's a lot you can do with otherwise private information and various government agencies will take an extremely in-depth interest in your personal well being.

2D8HP
2018-02-11, 04:29 PM
"Well we remember the dark day when every radio station played Journey to the Center of the Mind at the same time, and our televisions ran The Lord of the Rings with the John Boorman script.

Thousands noted that the great universities were emptied of their books, somehow transferred to public libraries, but millions awoke to find their automobiles gone, replaced with bicycles made in England, Denmark, and the Netherlands.

Some welcomed the changes, but most of us intend to destroy the monster who's done this...."

-A note found in a smoking ruin

"Strong and peaceful, wise and brave,
Fighting the fight for the whole world to save,
We the people will ceaselessly strive
To keep our great revolution alive!
Unfurl the banners! Look at the screen!
Never before has such glory been seen!
Every deed, every thought, 'tis for thee!"

Potato_Priest
2018-02-11, 04:42 PM
Well, my superpower choice is always teleportation, and I don't think it would corrupt me until someone tried hard to get in my way and I could outcompete them with my teleportation abilities, at which point I'd probably think what's the harm in using my power to help myself? It's a dog eat dog world. From my perspective now, I don't think I'd use it to kill people unless they were trying to do the same to me or someone I cared about, but I would almost certainly use it to trespass and bypass crowds and lines, as well as any and all commutes.

I might take to wearing a bandana and sunglasses so that I could go wherever I liked when I liked without being recognized. Conspicuous? Certainly. Catchable? Not really.

BWR
2018-02-11, 04:47 PM
I give it a year tops before I go all Injustice Superman on the world. I'd start out trying to be good and all, but quickly do worse and worse stuff against the horrible people in the world and soon start forcing everyone else to follow my ideas of what's good for people. Obviously, I'm convinced of my rightness and righteousness, and for a lot of people life would get better. It would come at the cost of freedom, fear and loss of free will for a lot of people, though.

Aedilred
2018-02-11, 05:51 PM
So, imagine you were suddenly given super-powers. Anything you want, super strength, nigh invulnerability, mind control... you name it.

There are no other super powers out there, no super villans... everyone else in the world is just normal like they are today.

How long until the power goes to your head and you become corrupt?

Would you try to be a super-hero? A world dictator? Do you think you could avoid the temptations of corruption?

— edit —
Ok one exception. You can’t have a super power that stops you from being corrupted. Otherwise that’s the obvious answer.

Depends how you define "corrupt", I guess. It's a wonderfully non-specific term that can mean almost whatever the user wants it to mean, at this point.

If you mean "how long before I start using the powers for personal benefit and/or entertainment?" then almost certainly no time whatsoever. If nothing else, since it's easier to get things done inside the system than without it, my first actions would probably be to advance my own position. And because I like doing nice things for the people I love, my friends and family would also see some benefit from it.

Before I even did that I'd probably mess about with my powers a bit just to check how they worked, and that would largely entail doing things "for fun".

That aside, however, I would generally be endeavouring to use my powers for good or at worst my own benefit. I'd be trying to change the world for the better and if in order to do that I have to give myself some collateral benefits or even just feel I deserve some reward for that, I'm not going to feel guilty about it even in abstraction.

But if the question is "how long before I turn to evil?" then that's much more variable. It would probably happen gradually in response to external stimuli: I'd reach for extreme measures to solve extreme problems, and then the extreme measures would become normalised, and eventually I'd find I stopped drawing a moral distinction. That's the sort of thing that tends to happen to good people given too much power even of the mundane variety and I have no reason to suppose I'm likely to fare any better in that regard.

Of course the only way to test it would be to put myself in that situation. It's very difficult to judge how you'd react to circumstances you've never experienced.

khadgar567
2018-02-12, 12:10 PM
Depends on what power i get like global telepathy faster than you can snap your fingers. Basic superman package nah not worth to become corrupted since you are basicly immortal in regular earth so some training to manage the power then return to my daily life. On mystical arts front takes bit of time but when i know how my spells works its same as first one. if its shape shifting like mystique then no need to getting corrupt just enjoy the benefits.

Vizzerdrix
2018-02-12, 12:23 PM
I cluld hold off long enough to learn how to be a dictator. A few years to a decade. If I didnt have a basic plan by then, Id obtain people who could get what I wanted done done. In the meantime, Id pick a fight with one of the worlds super powers. Maybe drop things on them from orbit or something just for kicks.

Telonius
2018-02-12, 12:25 PM
The question assumes I'm not already corrupt...?
:belkar:

JeenLeen
2018-02-12, 01:10 PM
A power that effectively allowed you to ignore the consequences of your actions would be rather dangerous, corruption-wise.

Some spoilers from Worm

Coil's power is to have two realities running at the same time, where he takes different actions, and (at any chosen moment) collapse one reality and make the other one his true reality. It's implied that, if he dies, that collapses that reality and he continues on fine.

It's shown that he indulges in sadistic tendencies, like torturing an underling, in his other reality when he's sure he will collapse it but has some time to spare.

Something like that coupled with superstrength, flight, mind control, etc. would be rather tricky. Even better if you had time travel and could re-set to try again, should concurrent realities both end in unpleasant outcomes.

Be great for being a superhero, too, though. If any human causalities, just reset and try again.

---
Directly to the OP, not sure for myself, but I definitely don't think ultimate power ultimately corrupts. It likely to, yeah, but not definitely. Probably easier if you aren't immortal, though, since I reckon it's hard to retain sanity after a few centuries/millennia.

Aliquid
2018-02-12, 01:32 PM
The question assumes I'm not already corrupt...?
:belkar:Hmm, so the saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely" it not true... because you can't corrupt a nefarious individual.

Kind of like "An object at rest can not be stopped!"

Depends how you define "corrupt", I guess. It's a wonderfully non-specific term that can mean almost whatever the user wants it to mean, at this point.
It is a concept that is hundreds of years old. Lord Acton coined the phrase in the late 1800s. But the idea was much older, and was applied to monarchs. The basic idea was that you can't have a benevolent King/queen/monarch, because their absolute power eventually corrupts them.

Those with power often do not have other's best interests in mind. They are primarily focused on their own benefits, and they may abuse their power to help themselves at the cost of others. Or in other words, as a person’s power increases, their sense of morality decreases.

Durzan
2018-02-12, 01:48 PM
I'd go with the most OP power imaginable... Reality Warping. If I can bend space and time itself to my will just like Rand Al'Thor can at the end of wheel of time... heh heh heh... no one is safe. I could warp reality so that I was the smartest person in the world, or give myself other super powers, etc.

Of course, it would take time for me to learn how to use my power, so reality warping would start small and simple at first... willing my car keys to be in my pocket for instance.

Corruption for me would probably be how long it takes me to go from wanting to be genuinely benevolent (I'd consider myself to be Neutral Good at best and True Neutral with slightly good leanings at worst) to deciding to screwing around with people for the lolz (Chaotic Neutral style; I doubt I would ever turn to malevolent practices in my life, even with reality warping powers).

Of course, by that point I'd probably be in a constant state equivalent to being high, so I'd probably be completely insane (I'm already a little bit unhinged as it is).

GrayDeath
2018-02-12, 02:07 PM

If you mean "how long before I start using the powers for personal benefit and/or entertainment?" then almost certainly no time whatsoever. If nothing else, since it's easier to get things done inside the system than without it, my first actions would probably be to advance my own position. And because I like doing nice things for the people I love, my friends and family would also see some benefit from it.

Before I even did that I'd probably mess about with my powers a bit just to check how they worked, and that would largely entail doing things "for fun".

That aside, however, I would generally be endeavouring to use my powers for good or at worst my own benefit. I'd be trying to change the world for the better and if in order to do that I have to give myself some collateral benefits or even just feel I deserve some reward for that, I'm not going to feel guilty about it even in abstraction.

But if the question is "how long before I turn to evil?" then that's much more variable. It would probably happen gradually in response to external stimuli: I'd reach for extreme measures to solve extreme problems, and then the extreme measures would become normalised, and eventually I'd find I stopped drawing a moral distinction. That's the sort of thing that tends to happen to good people given too much power even of the mundane variety and I have no reason to suppose I'm likely to fare any better in that regard.

Of course the only way to test it would be to put myself in that situation. It's very difficult to judge how you'd react to circumstances you've never experienced.

I give it a year tops before I go all Injustice Superman on the world. I'd start out trying to be good and all, but quickly do worse and worse stuff against the horrible people in the world and soon start forcing everyone else to follow my ideas of what's good for people. Obviously, I'm convinced of my rightness and righteousness, and for a lot of people life would get better. It would come at the cost of freedom, fear and loss of free will for a lot of people, though.

These 2 sum it up rather well, I think that might happen to me.

However more detailed:
Assuming I`d get that chance I would opt for flight, Invulnerability, Super Strength, at least one form of Energy/Telekinetic Manipulation on a "Grand Scale", and very important: the Ability to open Portals to just about anywhere or another FTL Travel ability.
And of course a massively increased Life span.

The first thing I would do would be making sure I can control everything I can do well enough.

Then I would descreetely offer the leaders of bigger nations the chance to colonize mnew planets, as long as those new Colonies and existing Countries followed some Guidelines" of mine to the letter. Any who do not/any Atomar powers etc, wills ee themselves disarmed rather quickly.

Fast forward say 0 years and mankind will have 5-30 Colonies with around 50-75 Million people each, and be exoanding.

I would likely not try to actually rule it all, but make sure that my "Guidelines are kept, or no colonization for you. THat should suffice.

Still, so much Power will change the way I look at things, and I assume I will grow more and more detached from Basic Humanity". If that is the price I have to pay for the fun to ahve these powers and to bring mankind to the stars, so what?

Maryring
2018-02-12, 05:11 PM
A lot of what I'd end up doing does depend on whatever power set I end up with. But let's for the argument say that I end up with "absolute power". The kind of absolute power where I can destroy and create whole galaxies with the snap of a finger, and the sun going supernova in my face hurts as much as a mild breeze. I need fear no consequence. And can do pretty much everything I imagine.

At that point I'd probably look into immediately end any and all armed conflicts across the globe. And I'd make a show of it. Guns turn to dust as they're fired. Knives turn to sand the moment they strike flesh. I'll make the world know that the rules of the world has changed, and leave them wondering for a while as to why. This'll give me time to create mini-me's to spread out to all across the globe, placing them in positions of weakness and vulnerability as proverbial canaries in the proverbial coalmine. Ultimately, my goal will be to improve life for those who have it worst, and these selves will be there to remind me of what it's like to be vulnerable, afraid and helpless.

From there things are a bit up in the air. Half my time I'd be busy looking into current emergencies, providing relief and "divine intervention" where it is needed. The other half the time I'd look to change the political landscape. I'd probably work within systems as much as possible, at least at first to see how effective that is. This would all focus on exposing corruption and vested interests. I'd rather effect a change through honesty and clarity rather than force.

From there... eh, we'll see. But ultimately, I don't think that, regardless of what super-power I got, I'd do nothing with it. There's too much in this world that needs fixin' and savin'.

veti
2018-02-14, 01:35 AM
From there things are a bit up in the air. Half my time I'd be busy looking into current emergencies, providing relief and "divine intervention" where it is needed. The other half the time I'd look to change the political landscape. I'd probably work within systems as much as possible, at least at first to see how effective that is. This would all focus on exposing corruption and vested interests. I'd rather effect a change through honesty and clarity rather than force.

What if the effect of "honesty and clarity" is wholesale bloody war and revolution? OK, there are no weapons, but you don't need weapons to cause harm. Con artists use their wits, demagogues use their charisma, giants use their size and strength, millionaires use their wealth, to impose their will on others. Whatcha gonna do, take away all those properties from everyone, or just from people who (in your judgment) "abuse" them?

Ignimortis
2018-02-14, 03:35 AM
Even with omnipotence, I would be an unpleasant egoist at the worst. Thing is, I would probably doubt any judgements of my own, and so I would use my powers only for doing stuff on a small scale - like winning in competitive games even when I shouldn't.
I certainly wouldn't try and change the world, unless I could reverse time and see what happens if I change some variables - then all bets are off, but I'm still not gonna be the ultimate dictator of the world. More like the guy who gets some people like this to their positions and watches them as long as they're interesting.
And if I had to choose from more constrained powers, well, it'd probably be something related to time...or number manipulation. If it's a variable number, then I can change it! Kinda like the Red Mage from 8-bit Theater - make a character sheet for myself and change numbers around, only legitimately.

Eldan
2018-02-14, 03:47 AM
No "when" about it. If I had power now, I'd already be super-corrupt with it.

I mean, yes. I'd absolutely clean up some of humanity's messes once I have flight, invulnerability, teleportation, immortality, some way to generate infinite energy, mind control and time manipulation.

But honestly? Yes, I'd help colonize Mars and the asteroid belt. But mostly because I want to go there and doing it alone would get boring after a while. Also, I want to see what people would build.

Yes, I'd probably work a bit on solving the energy crisis, shooting radioactive waste into interstellar space and reversing climate change. Sure. But honestly?

I'm so lazy I'd stop as soon as it became hard and then revert to a life of idle luxury.

And yes, I can think of some people whose heads I'd punch off.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-02-14, 04:10 AM
If I had absolute power, I could do absolutely everything with no effort at all, then what's the point in getting corrupted? Like that will somehow give me more things to do then I already can do... :smallamused:

Knaight
2018-02-14, 04:12 AM
I'd probably be fine for a while - my first targets would be the oldest enemies of humankind, diseases. First order of business is systematically eradicating every major disease I can get my hands on, and there's not really a lot of room for corruption there. With disease gone my second focus would be fixing environmental pollution, with a focus on human used drinking water. Again, there's not a lot of room for corruption.

Florian
2018-02-14, 06:49 AM
With disease gone my second focus would be fixing environmental pollution, with a focus on human used drinking water. Again, there's not a lot of room for corruption.

Oh boy, there is. Going by my actual knowledge of environmental matters, being handed the power to change something for the Greater Good, even against the will of "the masses", I´d do so, fully well knowing all the consequences it involves or will be triggered by my actions.

With your examples, you set up the stage for massive corruption. Eliminating disease will accelerate overpopulation which in turn will accelerate resource needs in an upward spiral. You'd basically have to enforce a one child policy or force a culling - Valentine-style.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-02-14, 08:32 AM
I'm kind of selfish so with all this power I would go to a place outside time and space.

Thee I would read all the stories ever written and then all the stories people are too lazy to write.

After reading all books that exist and don't exist in the history of our kind, I would come back to earth, create a utopia were golem like creatures did all the work and we could focus on art and culture, I would go back to my outside time and space plane read all the new works form this ideal society.

Then burn everything and everyone, watch as the world ends, go back in time, reset everything and just live my life as a "normal" person.

JDMSJR
2018-02-14, 06:10 PM
If I had absolute power then I would use it to make sure the fan fics I'm following update in a timely manner and those writers who have abandoned fics I like would finish them post haste or there would be....:smallfurious: consequences.

Knaight
2018-02-14, 07:30 PM
Oh boy, there is. Going by my actual knowledge of environmental matters, being handed the power to change something for the Greater Good, even against the will of "the masses", I´d do so, fully well knowing all the consequences it involves or will be triggered by my actions.

With your examples, you set up the stage for massive corruption. Eliminating disease will accelerate overpopulation which in turn will accelerate resource needs in an upward spiral. You'd basically have to enforce a one child policy or force a culling - Valentine-style.

Environmental matters in this case mostly means atmospheric and oceanic concentration changes, most notably sequestering a lot of GHGs, pulling soot and similar out of the air, and purging waterways of plastics and metals.

As for overpopulation acceleration, that's debatable. There's a general trend towards people having fewer children when wealthier, and with diseases out of the picture people are getting wealthier. There's also a trend towards people having fewer children when they don't die as often, and again that appears. There's no need to enforce a one (or two) child policy or force a culling.

If, somehow, overpopulation does happen there's still no need to enforce a one child policy or force a culling. There's milder forms of usable corruption there - just driving down human fertility levels would do the trick.

Mith
2018-02-14, 08:25 PM
Does this power come with the knowledge of foresight? If so I would be inherently corrupted as I could foresee the full impact of my decisions.

This does remind me of Jim Butcher talking about a Power in the Dresden Files being insane: "When reality bends to your will, can you really be considered insane?"

Tvtyrant
2018-02-14, 08:25 PM
Environmental matters in this case mostly means atmospheric and oceanic concentration changes, most notably sequestering a lot of GHGs, pulling soot and similar out of the air, and purging waterways of plastics and metals.

As for overpopulation acceleration, that's debatable. There's a general trend towards people having fewer children when wealthier, and with diseases out of the picture people are getting wealthier. There's also a trend towards people having fewer children when they don't die as often, and again that appears. There's no need to enforce a one (or two) child policy or force a culling.

If, somehow, overpopulation does happen there's still no need to enforce a one child policy or force a culling. There's milder forms of usable corruption there - just driving down human fertility levels would do the trick.

With unlimited power you can always just modify it so people decide when they are pregnant.

Knaight
2018-02-14, 08:51 PM
With unlimited power you can always just modify it so people decide when they are pregnant.

That would be the non-corrupt version.

Man on Fire
2018-02-14, 09:09 PM
Depending on the powers but I'd probably try to influence politics of my country towards what I perceive as improvements. Wouldn't even feel bad about it.

Maryring
2018-02-15, 07:55 AM
What if the effect of "honesty and clarity" is wholesale bloody war and revolution? OK, there are no weapons, but you don't need weapons to cause harm. Con artists use their wits, demagogues use their charisma, giants use their size and strength, millionaires use their wealth, to impose their will on others. Whatcha gonna do, take away all those properties from everyone, or just from people who (in your judgment) "abuse" them?

That's a terrible argument that suggests one shouldn't do anything. If you really think that exposing the lies and misinformation and corruption of those in power would bring revolution, you have to make an actual argument for why that happens, and why that wouldn't be a good thing. Otherwise, you might as well ask "what if the effect of catching butterflies causes a tsunami that wipes out hawaii?"

hq27
2018-02-15, 09:10 AM
i would have the superpowers of super man with one addition no matter how corrupt i become the world will become worse thus i would always be on the side of justice XD)

veti
2018-02-16, 12:13 AM
That's a terrible argument that suggests one shouldn't do anything. If you really think that exposing the lies and misinformation and corruption of those in power would bring revolution, you have to make an actual argument for why that happens, and why that wouldn't be a good thing. Otherwise, you might as well ask "what if the effect of catching butterflies causes a tsunami that wipes out hawaii?"

I'm thinking of recent-ish real-world developments that I'm not going to name because rules. But the point stands without getting specific: do you consider the consequences of your actions, or do you just say "I'm doing this because it's right, dammit, no matter what follows"?

Bohandas
2018-02-16, 05:32 AM
I think I would turn into an anti-hero or anti-villain who solves the world's problems, but in a petty and spiteful way

Like I would create some kind of unlimited clean power source. And I would find some way to integrate it into the worls with such suddenness that people in the fossil fuel industry would be ruined before they even knew what happened.

And I would cure all diseases, except in people who voted against socialized medicine, who I would cause to get all of the diseases that came out of the other people. People who attempt to make "medicine" out of rhino horns or tiger parts would also be afflicted rather than cured, as would people who say that vaccines cause autism.

And I would conjure up gold and give it to the poor, and give it to them in massive amounts, but despite the amounts they would only wind up middle class from it because I would conjure so much that it would collapse the market for gold. And I would fill a swimming pool with the tears of all the people who keep saying that gold is intrinsically precious. I would also give everybody a copy of every Disney movie ever made, in both dvd and bluray and unprotected mp4 formats, and hopefully collapse that market too. And also diamonds. There would be so many gems and diamonds that people would throw them in the garbage to get rid of them.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-02-16, 08:06 AM
I believe small doses of power corrupt, absolute power does not.

When you have absolute power you can see the whole picture and that changes your perspective, that's why beings of absolute power never act directly, they know better. The become slaves of their own powers rather than complete masters.

Bohandas
2018-02-16, 12:49 PM
I've done this thought experiment enough times that I know I'll be back to lazing in my apartment. Right after I've erased a certain rogue nation off the map.

I've run it in my head too, but I've got a longer enemies list, including probably the same rogue nation, a rogue pretends-to-be-a-nation, a rogue superpower (in the international politics sense of the word), and a faction in my own country that has been compromised by one of the above. I'd try to avoid harming civilians or military though and focus on eliminating their leaders.

NontheistCleric
2018-02-17, 01:21 AM
I would probably use my absolute power to observe whatever I wanted to and allow myself to survive effortlessly. I might help or harm a few individuals here or there, depending on my whims, but other that that I have no real desire to make any changes to the universe. It's already a very interesting place.

If Earth (or any other place I find interesting) happened to get into a nuclear war or some similarly terrible fate, though, I'd probably try to do something about that.

Aedilred
2018-02-17, 12:13 PM
Look, I know nobody likes Scotland, but it doesn't deserve that. At least leave the landmass for walking holidays.

Jormengand
2018-02-17, 01:15 PM
My immediate superpower choice would just be something, anything, which gives me nigh-omnipotence or actual-omnipotence. Having that, therefore, would eliminate anything I could possibly gain from doing evil. Good, on the other hand, is an end unto itself. So I don't see why I would be corrupted by power in that instance.

Honestly, it's not at all true that corruption is proportional to power. Corruption with near-omnipotence is pointless, precisely because there are ways to do anything you want without evil. If anything, corruption is proportional to the number of desirable things you can do in evil ways but cannot do in non-evil ways - but of course it's more complicated than that, because there need to be enough acts of minor evil to tempt you and normalise that minor evil. I don't think that anyone's first move upon gaining D&D-style spellcasting would be to scorching ray their worst enemy right in the face, but they might consider it after getting used to using invisibility to steal, then using a few mind control spells, and then...

Aedilred
2018-02-17, 01:46 PM
My immediate superpower choice would just be something, anything, which gives me nigh-omnipotence or actual-omnipotence. Having that, therefore, would eliminate anything I could possibly gain from doing evil. Good, on the other hand, is an end unto itself. So I don't see why I would be corrupted by power in that instance.

Honestly, it's not at all true that corruption is proportional to power. Corruption with near-omnipotence is pointless, precisely because there are ways to do anything you want without evil. If anything, corruption is proportional to the number of desirable things you can do in evil ways but cannot do in non-evil ways - but of course it's more complicated than that, because there need to be enough acts of minor evil to tempt you and normalise that minor evil. I don't think that anyone's first move upon gaining D&D-style spellcasting would be to scorching ray their worst enemy right in the face, but they might consider it after getting used to using invisibility to steal, then using a few mind control spells, and then...

I'm not so sure. Ultimately, a lot of the time, evil is just more fun.

Think about the way pretty much anybody plays video games. One way or another these often give you effective omnipotence (especially if you use cheats). And it's hard to resist the temptation every now and again just to do something you're not supposed to do. Shoot all the innocent bystanders in a level just to see what happens. Push the escort mission personnel off a roof because their voice is annoying. Invade the neighbouring country and execute the entire population because, ultimately, what does it matter? And much of the time, just deliberately act like a jerk to blow off steam.

To be honest, anyone who didn't do that from time to time, I'd start to worry about them. Are they suffering from a failure of imagination, or are they just so incredibly repressed they can't bring themselves to misbehave even where it doesn't matter and nobody's judging them?

Of course, that's video games, and not real life. But I think if you were to have omnipotent powers you would soon find yourself so far removed from the rest of humanity that they would become effectively like video game characters: tools, pawns, means to an end, and you'd probably also find yourself losing touch with any kind of moral scruple regarding them. At which point, the fact that it's occasionally fun to create a mess just to watch the outcome.

It's not just video games, either. It's most of art. People are just drawn one way or another to the dark side of human nature, even if it amounts merely to watching other people's misfortune. The idea that people only do evil because it is in some sense necessary misses the point, I think. People do evil because they can.

Jormengand
2018-02-17, 02:18 PM
Of course, that's video games, and not real life. But I think if you were to have omnipotent powers you would soon find yourself so far removed from the rest of humanity that they would become effectively like video game characters: tools, pawns, means to an end, and you'd probably also find yourself losing touch with any kind of moral scruple regarding them. At which point, the fact that it's occasionally fun to create a mess just to watch the outcome.

I mean, you can always actually play video games. Or make a simulation that feels one hundred percent real to you but no real people have to die. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't "Find myself removed from the rest of humanity" because I already care about people and - dear gods - animals that I'm under no societal obligation to care about. I can't rationalise my morals having an "Except when no-one important's looking" clause like that. And I can't imagine ever seeing a human - or, indeed, animal - as just a tool.

Bohandas
2018-02-17, 02:25 PM
My immediate superpower choice would just be something, anything, which gives me nigh-omnipotence or actual-omnipotence. Having that, therefore, would eliminate anything I could possibly gain from doing evil.

What about schadenfreude?

Jormengand
2018-02-17, 02:33 PM
What about schadenfreude?

Is it, like, weird that I don't want to see people suffer? Am I, like, strange in not liking making people feel awful?

Like, I'm a sadist, sure. But there are enough willing masochists to keep me happy, and honestly the thought of hurting someone unwilling makes me more sick than excited. Is... not wanting people to suffer and die something unique to me? I'm always confused when people bring up the kind of "Evil for evil's sake" arguments because... I don't have any desire to do bad things just for the evilness of doing them? It's like doing something for the sake of boredom: I can't see why anyone would possibly want to do it. If I do evil things, then evil is a side-effect and it's one I usually try to mitigate anyway, because I try to place morality quite high on my to-do list for reasons that I would think to be relatively intuitive.

Aliquid
2018-02-17, 03:31 PM
To be honest, anyone who didn't do that from time to time, I'd start to worry about them. Are they suffering from a failure of imagination, or are they just so incredibly repressed they can't bring themselves to misbehave even where it doesn't matter and nobody's judging them?

It's not just video games, either. It's most of art. People are just drawn one way or another to the dark side of human nature, even if it amounts merely to watching other people's misfortune. The idea that people only do evil because it is in some sense necessary misses the point, I think. People do evil because they can.when I play a video game the 2nd time with cheat codes and with a “just for fun” attitude, I would steal things, smash things and have fun picking the most offensive options in dialogue trees. It is a good way to burn off steam.

But never once have I had my character kill an innocent or attack a “non combatant” NPC. It isn’t repressing anything, I just have zero interest in the concept. I wouldn’t feel “guilty” if I did, (since it isn’t real) but there is no joy or entertainment either.

With other art forms, I get a sense of entertainment when a “bad guy” gets what’s coming to him, but I feel bad when someone is harmed just because they are annoying or something like that. That isn’t entertaining for me.

thirsting
2018-02-21, 10:06 AM
I already have the ability to harm, even kill many (but not any) people without getting caught, if I'm careful. I have the ability to steal or destroy many things, again, without getting caught.

But I don't.

And I seriously doubt getting superpowers would change that. Not even if I mask up and try to stop desperate or malicious people from doing their thing from time to time.

Frozen_Feet
2018-02-21, 03:26 PM
Well, power itself does not create motivation to use it. Or it needs to be of very particular kind to do so.

Theoretically, everything you can hold in your hand can be used to kill someone. In many cases, how to do so is not obvious and most people never think of a way to do it for most objects. Not because "killing is wrong, I would never do it", but because the thought literally never crosses their minds.

Or: the picture above is a library, where you can learn all you want to know for free. The picture below is a mall where they hand out free buckets. (https://m.riemurasia.net/kuva/Valintojen-maailma/191107) :smalltongue:

Strigon
2018-02-22, 03:01 PM
The first thing I'd do is install my own world government. Many things that are now illegal would become legal, and many things that are now legal would be outlawed. If I have omniscience, they'd be outlawed and very, very well enforced. Otherwise, simply well-enforced with an efficient police force. If my superpowers are as great as you say, I can generate electricity, or mine asteroids, or do something else to fully fund my government, so budgeting would become a non-issue. I'd have these enterprises be state-owned, though if someone thinks they can compete they're welcome to try. I'd also do my best to cut out whatever bureaucracy was becoming unwieldy, but with a worldwide government there would inevitably need to be some.
Schools, nursing homes, hospitals and water treatment plants would be constructed and well-funded worldwide, but their workers would be held to a much higher standard than today. Any country would be able to continue to exist with its own government, so long as they didn't interfere with the laws I set in place previously.

Naturally, many would object to this. If their objections mean I become corrupt, then there is your answer - instantly.
If, however, that doesn't count, then it's a toss up. There are a lot of things I'd be tempted to do, but when and if I'd do them cannot be predicted.

No brains
2018-02-22, 11:02 PM
So does the ban on any kind of power that mitigates corruption also ban powers that indirectly keep me from becoming corrupted? Because that actually makes a list of very few powers.

Corruption comes from attempting to meet a need or perceived need. Even the need for lulz. If I could give myself any power that kept me from any kind of need, it would also keep me from taking measures that would lead to my corruption. If I don't need to eat, I don't need to steal food. If I don't get sick or injured, I can lay around outside in on Antarctica. If I don't need social contact, I don't need to mold society or even myself to fit the other.

To make this really meta, is my corruption determined at the moment I choose my powers? If I do anything less than choosing the optimal build and distribution of powers, do I become corrupt simply for failing humanity at my one moment of omnipotence? If I don't choose something like: 'The power to make everyone free of needs and limitations', then am I corrupt for choosing any other option?

If the above ideas are considered, then I am probably only limited to choosing high-risk, high-reward powers. That way, I don't really have any means of circumventing corruption, just a very tempting means to succumb to it. If I had a superpower that kept me susceptible to all the things on my needs pyramid, then the question of my corruption becomes harder to answer.

Aliquid
2018-02-22, 11:29 PM
So does the ban on any kind of power that mitigates corruption also ban powers that indirectly keep me from becoming corrupted? Because that actually makes a list of very few powers.Sure, you can avoid corruption by removing yourself from all situations where corruption might occur. Most people would find that boring, but that would be a route you could take.

To make this really meta, is my corruption determined at the moment I choose my powers? If I do anything less than choosing the optimal build and distribution of powers, do I become corrupt simply for failing humanity at my one moment of omnipotence? If I don't choose something like: 'The power to make everyone free of needs and limitations', then am I corrupt for choosing any other option?You would only be corrupt if you currently think that you are morally obligated to do something like that... If you currently think "that's not my responsibility", then you would be acting just like your current self, rather than a corruption of your current self... if you see what I mean (I elaborate below)

If the above ideas are considered, then I am probably only limited to choosing high-risk, high-reward powers. That way, I don't really have any means of circumventing corruption, just a very tempting means to succumb to it. If I had a superpower that kept me susceptible to all the things on my needs pyramid, then the question of my corruption becomes harder to answer.You become corrupt when you start using your powers to do things that are immoral or unethical.

Considering that nobody on these boards will even come close to agreeing on what is "moral" and what is "immoral", we can't really get into specific examples without endless philosophical debates.

For the sake of this discussion... for power to corrupt you, then the baseline for appropriate and acceptable behavior is the current you, and corruption = a downward slide from that baseline. So, think about what you wouldn't do today because you consider it to be immoral, or unethical, or inappropriate behavior. Corruption would be you throwing those standards away, or forgetting them, as a result of having so much power. It wouldn't necessarily happen all at once... it might be gradual.

Aotrs Commander
2018-02-27, 07:54 AM
I AM already absolutely corrupted. I'm just working on the absolute power part.

And yes, I have a loooooooooong list of what I'd do in that position; it's not a theorhetical construct, it's a GOAL.

Co-operation of the populace to my decrees would not be mandatory, it would be - one way or another - IRRELEVANT.

Sure, you can avoid corruption by removing yourself from all situations where corruption might occur. Most people would find that boring, but that would be a route you could take.

You would only be corrupt if you currently think that you are morally obligated to do something like that... If you currently think "that's not my responsibility", then you would be acting just like your current self, rather than a corruption of your current self... if you see what I mean (I elaborate below)

For the sake of this discussion... for power to corrupt you, then the baseline for appropriate and acceptable behavior is the current you, and corruption = a downward slide from that baseline. So, think about what you wouldn't do today because you consider it to be immoral, or unethical, or inappropriate behavior. Corruption would be you throwing those standards away, or forgetting them, as a result of having so much power. It wouldn't necessarily happen all at once... it might be gradual.

Then it will never be possible to corrupt me, unless you qualify "becoming less Evil" as "corruption" which is usually entirely the opposite of what everyone means.

As the chances of me somehow becoming interested in sex and thus sex crimes is somewhat exponetially less than zero.