PDA

View Full Version : My 17 DEX is taunting me...

Matrix_Walker
2018-02-11, 05:49 PM
I've got a Lore Bard that just hit 4th. Very fortunate on the rolls and with my (Yuan-Ti) raicials, ended up with 20 CHA and 17 DEX.

I play him as a bit of a scoundrel (Urchin background, subs as the party troubleshooter with locks and traps, as we do not have a Rogue), and now that it is time for Feat selection, I'm looking at the feats that include a +1 to DEX, and I'm not really impressed. If I go that route, I'll probably go with Athlete, but it doesn't really blow my proverbial skirt up.

Am I nuts for considering shopping for another Feat when I could be getting my DX to 18?

Unoriginal
2018-02-11, 05:55 PM
You're not nuts, no.

Though, do you have any other stat with an uneven score?

You can use your ASI to have +1 in two stats too

Sinon
2018-02-11, 05:58 PM
You're not nuts, no.

Though, do you have any other stat with an uneven score?

Or create an uneven stat with the longterm goal of taking another feat, like Resilient next time.

Arkhios
2018-02-11, 06:01 PM
Or create an uneven stat with the longterm goal of taking another feat, like Resilient next time.

Or take Resilient now, and catch both next time.

MxKit
2018-02-11, 06:09 PM
do you have any other stat with an uneven score?

You can also go +1 Dex +1 Con even if you have an even Constitution score right now, if you feel like you'll want to pick up Resilient (Con) at lv8.

ETA: Ninja'd. :smallredface:

Matrix_Walker
2018-02-11, 07:10 PM
I've been considering the +1 CON and later Resilient CON option... It is even now...

But there is some question as to whether this game will see level 8 causing me some hesitation. When we finish the module and reach level 5, we will be discussing the future of the game.

Sigreid
2018-02-11, 07:22 PM
You should develop the character assuming a leve 8 in my opinion. If it were me, I'd add one to Dec and con this level.

Willie the Duck
2018-02-12, 09:27 AM
I've been considering the +1 CON and later Resilient CON option... It is even now...

But there is some question as to whether this game will see level 8 causing me some hesitation. When we finish the module and reach level 5, we will be discussing the future of the game.

The question then becomes--is there any feat that grants a +1 DEX, along with a special ability, that will provide more net satisfaction in these levels you are expecting to see, then the net satisfaction you would gain by having a character you will be able to play on through (happily), if the campaign does end up continuing past the module? If so, then you should simply do some mental calculus on how likely the campaign is to continue, and make your decision based on that.

TheTeaMustFlow
2018-02-12, 11:06 AM
Moderately Armoured can give a +1 to dex, and getting shield proficiency is very nice.

Mikal
2018-02-12, 11:37 AM
What race are you? Depending on that there are some good +1 Dex feats in Xanathars.

Beelzebubba
2018-02-12, 11:43 AM
Am I nuts for considering shopping for another Feat when I could be getting my DX to 18?

Nah, at 4th my Druid did Resilient Con, and now have a 17 Wis and 17 Con staring me in the face.

It's worth it, though. I've been keeping track, and the feat's paid off for me three times already. And it is nice looking at three high saving throws on the character sheet. It fits the character.

At 8th, when I bump both stats, it's going to feel like Christmas.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-12, 01:34 PM
Moderately Armoured can give a +1 to dex, and getting shield proficiency is very nice.

This is worth considering as it opens up your armor options (ex: dragonscale) and shield proficiency is no joke in the first two tiers of play. But it could interfere with spells.

Resilient dexterity is also quite good as others have said and it sounds like that may be more up your alley.

Allimath
2018-02-12, 01:48 PM
A while ago there was some UA about skills. It was usually stuff like +1 to stat, expertise and a neat bonus. Since you are a bard you might not need the expertise but dex increase feats are indeed in short supply.

Willie the Duck
2018-02-12, 01:56 PM
This is worth considering as it opens up your armor options (ex: dragonscale) and shield proficiency is no joke in the first two tiers of play. But it could interfere with spells.

Resilient dexterity is also quite good as others have said and it sounds like that may be more up your alley.

Bards already have a dex save proficiency. Did you mean resilient con?
A shield would probably work for a Lore bard, as they will be making weapon attacks infrequently enough that they can usually have their rapier at their belt.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-12, 02:03 PM
Bards already have a dex save proficiency. Did you mean resilient con?
A shield would probably work for a Lore bard, as they will be making weapon attacks infrequently enough that they can usually have their rapier at their belt.

Whoops, my mistake. Thought the OP didn't have that for some reason, think I misread the thread.

In that case, yeah I think I'd take Moderately Armoured or +1/+1 out of all of the choices.

Matrix_Walker
2018-02-12, 03:02 PM
I'm concerned that without Warcaster, taking a shield will mess with my spellcasting too much... I'll review the spell list and see how it looks for a full handed bard.

A while ago there was some UA about skills. It was usually stuff like +1 to stat, expertise and a neat bonus. Since you are a bard you might not need the expertise but dex increase feats are indeed in short supply.

As I've been functioning as the substitute rogue, these options were very attractive. Alas, my GM is not allowing UA content.

What race are you? Depending on that there are some good +1 Dex feats in Xanathars.

Yuan-Ti Pureblood... or I'd be all over that Elven Accuracy. Sadly, no Feats in Xanathatrs for the snake-folk.

I'm going to have a chat with the GM tonight before the game and try and get a feel for if the game will continue.

solidork
2018-02-12, 03:12 PM
If you're using a spell component pouch, Shield + Free Hand shouldn't pose any problems for spell casting even without Warcaster.

Sigreid
2018-02-12, 03:25 PM
If you're using a spell component pouch, Shield + Free Hand shouldn't pose any problems for spell casting even without Warcaster.

Can always try to sell your DM on playing your shield like a drum too.

Tanarii
2018-02-12, 03:30 PM
Its also not a problem with a focus. You dont need to hold a focus in your hand prior to casting. Just have a hand free to access it during M component spells.

Obviously shield and weapon is a different matter.

Matrix_Walker
2018-02-12, 04:41 PM
Currently, I spend a decent number of actions on Rapier or crossbow attacks. I'll likely rely on these less and less, but they are still going to be a staple for the foreseeable future (with 6-8 encounters in the dungeon between long rests, those 7 spell slots for 4th level don't last too long if I'm using them too readily.

I suppose I should rely more on Vicious Mockery, and I likely will after level 5. The damage isn't very satisfying during the first tier compared to the D8+DEXMod though obviously.

The Drum-Shield is an interesting notion... I doubt it would fly, but I can run it up the flag pole and see who salutes ;)

Tanarii
2018-02-12, 04:58 PM
It's an object interaction to put your Rapier away if you're not going to use it and instead cast one of those spells. If you're not casting frequently, you can probably get away with doing it when needed, then redraw next round. Minor problem is you can't do an effective OA that round.

Light Crossbow is a bigger issue. That prevents using a Shield at all.

Vicious Mockery is a V cantrip only, which means you can do it with hands full. :)

Spore
2018-02-13, 12:23 PM
As I've been functioning as the substitute rogue, these options were very attractive. Alas, my GM is not allowing UA content.

Talk to your DM about UA though. If I have learned anything from my first DM is that with mutual respect and understanding you can convince a DM of many things.

You pride yourself on your quickness and your close study of certain clandestine activities. You gain the following benefits:

Increase your Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.

You gain proficiency with thieves’ tools. If you are already proficient with them, you add double your proficiency bonus to checks you make with them.

Why would he allow this just for you? Just tell him how your group needs someone to solve problems. How your story can benefit from someone able to circumvent the most basic of hindrances, a locked door. He can place more difficult obstacles, devious traps, and he can still expect you to pass them eventually.