PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler rogue pirate and pally multiclass.

Arthaine
2018-02-11, 08:11 PM
I am playing a pirate rogue swashbuckler, currently level 5. Due to my groups involvement with God's lately been considering dipping into paladin for smite damage. Current build.
Human Variant took dual wield feat
Dice roll score
Str 13 dex 20 int 10 wis 10 cha
I wield 2 rapiers
I was thinking with swashbuckler feats and paladin Smites I could potentially output more damage than rogue/fighter
I'm loose battlemaster but pick up 2d8 Smites on attack, extra attack, Lay on hands.
So 5 levels of pally for extra attack, twf, and smite. All the rest rogue
Thinking a good
main hand 1d8+prof wep, 3dx sneak attack, 2d8 smite damage followed by off hand attack wep 1d8+prof from twf, 2d8 smite then rinse repeat with extra attack. I know I would use most my spell slots to do so, but would that not make my burst damage extremely high? To me seems like more damage potential thab battlemaster fighter dip. Take lucky feat to improve my chance to hit getting 3 luck points to help mitigate not having superiority die from battlemaster. I know i will loose out on 1 or 2 asi.
What is everyone's thoughts.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-11, 08:16 PM
Paladins do not get twf as a style.

Their smite is good but runs out very fast.

You would be better off as ranger or fighter or just staying rogue.

Swashbuckler get a great ability at level 9.

Reliable talent is solid gold as well.

Arthaine
2018-02-11, 08:58 PM
You are right I can not get twf. Guess back to my original plan rogue 14 fighter 6. But know do i go champion or battlemaster.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-11, 09:17 PM
You are right I can not get twf. Guess back to my original plan rogue 14 fighter 6. But know do i go champion or battlemaster.

Both are solid.

A crit from a rogue is amazing, so champion has good support, but it is kind of dull.

Battlemaster is great for precision attack alone. The other abilities are great too though.

It kind of depends on how often your groups sees short rests.

Arkhios
2018-02-11, 11:24 PM
Cavalier* would actually be a decent choice as well for a Swashbuckler. Both archetypes are technically built to be "tanks" so they'd complement each other really well.

Samurai* might also appreciate the two-weapon fighting approach.

Edit: *these are Fighter Archetypes from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. And Swashbuckler can be found there, too.

...that said, two-weapon fighting style isn't really that necessary. Paladin could do well with just taking Defense fighting style while also wielding two weapons into battle.
I'm playing a 5th level paladin with Dual Wielder feat and I'm already doing more damage in weapons department than our archer ranger while keeping Divine Favor up when I need more damage.

Last time it was rather awesome to roll 3d8+3d4+8 (my str is 18) per turn when facing down a Lizard King (CR 4 with 78 HP) alone. I made swift work of it.

bid
2018-02-12, 12:04 AM
Improved critical is... decorative.

Riposte gives you a second SA, the best DPR increase.

Malifice
2018-02-12, 02:30 AM

Both are viable.

Battlemaster gets you manouvers - Riposte (extra sneak attack when used seeing as you use it on the monters turn), fienting attack (nice way to get rid of disadvantage to ensure sneak attack) and precise attack (nice way to land those sneak attacks).

They fit perfectly, and are as fluffy as one can imagine also.

You might also want to consider Swords Bard for 6 levels instead. Also fits fluff wise, and will help damage (also granting extra attack, TWF style and some nice manouvers with damage buffs in place of superiority dice).

Vogie
2018-02-12, 08:49 AM
You'd have to have 13 Cha to dip into paladin, so that'd require at least 2 ASIs before that option is avail

I was going to suggest 3-dip into Ranger (although that has the same problem as above, but with Wisdom). That'd give a Favored Enemy and TWF as a base, then a wee bit of spell casting and:
Horde Breaker from Hunter, or
Blinking attacks from Horizon walker, or
Darkvision, additional movement speed & extra attacks at the beginning of the fight, and anti-darkvision from Deep Stalker

I'd say Cavalier would be a good fighter archetype, as unwavering mark will generate advantage, which will increase the number of Sneak Attacks available.

Randomthom
2018-02-12, 08:57 AM
A crit from a rogue...

I can't help but hear this with Seal singing (Kiss from a Rose in case anyone doesn't get the reference).

Mikal
2018-02-12, 08:58 AM
Note you can TWF without the style, you just don't get your attribute bonus to damage with it, weakening it.
You can still pick up a second weapon and use it all the live long day though, using two rapiers since you picked up dual wielder.

Theodoxus
2018-02-12, 03:21 PM
I planned my swashbuckler to be 9/11 rogue/paladin - but I liked the buckler part of the name to go with the swash part... so I was happy with rapier/shield and running around one shotting things when I roll a crit...

Sadly, I didn't want to MC until after 9th level, as I wanted the rogue bennies... and the campaign ended at 8th level.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that TWF isn't the end all be all... though I'd probably ask/beg for a retrain on the feat in that case... if that can't be done, I'd probably go fighter.

Arthaine
2018-02-12, 04:03 PM
Ty all for the replies. I'll have to look I to the cavalier and samurai, but battlemaster appeals most to me.
HOWEVER could someone compare potential damage of swashbuckler/pally vs swashbuckler/battlemaster. Bc I do have the dual wield feat already I wonder if Twf should be a deal breaker. I wield 2 rapiers.

Arthaine
2018-02-12, 04:13 PM
Both are viable.

You might also want to consider Swords Bard for 6 levels instead. Also fits fluff wise, and will help damage (also granting extra attack, TWF style and some nice manouvers with damage buffs in place of superiority dice).
I don't know much about bards but this seems very interesting. Anyone habe more input on a bard mc?