PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Blue Flame Conjurer [Base Class/Very Simple]

gooddragon1
2018-02-12, 12:06 AM
The Blue Flame Conjurer

Blue flame conjurers are magical practitioner who devote themselves to the use and understanding of the energy they wield for their own ends.

Adventures: Blue flame conjurers use their power to further their own ends. Some of them devote themselves entirely to the understanding of the magic they wield while others have additional motivations.

Characteristics: Due to the tendency for less chaotic alignments and studious nature, blue flame conjurers are frequently regarded as bookworms. However, a blue flame conjurer with other motivations can have any sort of personality that would accomodate those motivations.

Alignment: The knowledge required to become a blue flame conjurer is available to any willing to seek it, though it is a demanding path. As such, a blue flame conjurer may be of any alignment, but less chaotic alignments tend to be more likely to have the dedication required to garner the requisite knowledge.

Religion: Blue flame conjurer's tend to revere deities of knowledge and magic, but this is not required for their craft.

Background: More often than not, a blue flame conjurer has an innate talent for magic (as a sorcerer would), but through study anyone may become a blue flame conjurer (use the fighter age modifier in this case).

Races: Races with an inherent talent for magic (gnomes) or with longevity (elves) are more likely to become blue flame conjurers than those without such talents or shorter life spans.

Game Rule Information:
Blue Flame Conjurer's have the following game statistics.
Ability Scores: A blue flame conjurer's exhalation benefits from constitution whereas his strikes benefit from dexterity.
Alignment: Any
Hit Dice: d8.
Starting Wealth: As sorcerer.
Starting Age: As sorcerer (or fighter, see background).

Class Skills:
The Blue Flame Conjurer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Any)(Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at First Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

The Blue Flame Conjurer

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+2

+0

+2
Blue Flame Conjuration, Blue Flame Exhalation, Blue Flame Strikes

2nd

+1

+3

+0

+3
Social Grace +2

3rd

+2

+3

+1

+3
Blue Flames 2d6

4th

+3

+4

+1

+4
Bonus Feat

5th

+3

+4

+1

+4
Blue Flames 3d6

6th

+4

+5

+2

+5
Social Grace +4

7th

+5

+5

+2

+5
Blue Flames 4d6

8th

+6/+1

+6

+2

+6
Bonus Feat

9th

+6/+1

+6

+3

+6
Blue Flames 5d6

10th

+7/+2

+7

+3

+7
Social Grace +6

11th

+8/+3

+7

+3

+7
Blue Flames 6d6

12th

+9/+4

+8

+4

+8
Bonus Feat

13th

+9/+4

+8

+4

+8
Blue Flames 7d6

14th

+10/+5

+9

+4

+9
Social Grace +8

15th

+11/+6/+1

+9

+5

+9
Blue Flames 8d6

16th

+12/+7/+2

+10

+5

+10
Bonus Feat

17th

+12/+7/+2

+10

+5

+10
Blue Flames 9d6

18th

+13/+8/+3

+11

+6

+11
Social Grace +10

19th

+14/+9/+4

+11

+6

+11
Blue Flames 10d6

20th

+15/+10/+5

+12

+6

+12
Bonus Feat

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Blue Flame Conjurer's are proficient with all simple weapons, with light armor, and with light shields.

Blue Flame Exhalation (Ex and Su)

A blue flame conjurer's flames are a magical phenomenon that are a part of him in some ways yet still somewhat related to conjuration. A blue flame conjurer may exhale a line of blue flames out to a distance of up to close range (25 feet + 5 feet per 2 levels) or less if desired. Creatures struck by the flames take 1d6 untyped damage for every odd numbered level the blue flame conjuerer has (Reflex DC 10 + 1/2 level + Con mod for half damage). The flames are partially subject to spell resistance (their damage is halved against successful spell resistance which stacks with a successful reflex save to divide the damage by 4 instead). In cases where the magical component of the flames would not function (such as the blue flame conjurer or his target or both being inside an antimagic field), treat the damage as being subject to unpassable spell resistance. Against incorporeal targets, only half of the damage is treated as supernatural (again, treat as unpassable spell resistance). A blue flame conjurer has a caster level equal to his class level.

Blue Flame Strikes (Ex and Su)

A blue flame conjurer may focus his energy into his hands (or another part of his body, but not into any sort of weapon) to make melee touch attacks that deal damage as his blue flame exhalation would upon a successful melee touch attack. These strikes do not allow reflex saves, but are subject to all the other damage impairments that applied to blue flame exhalation (spell resistance, incorporeal targets, etc.). The blue flame conjurer may make as many strikes with this ability as his base attack bonus affords him, but extra attacks (from haste or attacks of opportunity) beyond the number of attacks he could make with his base attack bonus do not benefit from this extra damage.

Blue Flame Conjuration (Su)

A blue flame conjuerer can heal wounds (his own or those of others) by touch. Each day he can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to 1/2 x his blue flame conjurer level × spellcraft check (made once per day). A blue flame conjurer may choose to divide his healing among multiple recipients, and he doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using blue flame conjuration is a standard action.

For the purpose of activating magic items, a blue flame conjurer may treat any conjuration spell as being on his spell list.

At 5th level, multiply the amount of healing this ability can produce by 2. At 15th level and every 10 levels thereafter, increase this multiplier by 1 (3x at 15th level).

Social Grace (Ex)

A blue flame conjurer can pursue knowledge through charm as well as exploration. At 2nd level, a blue flame conjurer gains a +2 competence bonus on all bluff, diplomacy, gather information, and sense motive checks made for social interactions (not feints with a bluff check for example). This bonus increases by +2 at 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter.

Bonus Feat

At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, a blue flame conjurer may select a bonus feat from the following list for which he meets the prerequisites:
Ability Focus (Blue Flame Exhalation), Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Casting, Great Fortitude, Greater Spell Penetration, Investigator, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Magical Aptitude, Negotiator, Persuasive, Skill Focus, Spell Penetration, Weapon Focus (Blue Flame Strikes).

===

Another very simple base class. I seem to like having healing as an option. Area attack, eldritch glaive sort of attack, and some healing. Wasn't concerned about dead levels. Took about 2 hours to make (not 2 hours solid though).

Aniikinis
2018-02-12, 08:39 AM
In my opinion, this is basically warlock lite. That's not to say it's bad, it's actually pretty good. However it's kind of a one trick pony and those dead levels really hurt. And although common sense and occam's razor dictates what type of damage is dealt, you really might wanna put that in the description simply because there are quite a few people that would see that and go "sweet flames that deal untyped damage!"

I know you're not concerned with dead levels, and didn't really ask for this, but I have a few ideas for the dead levels:

Maybe give a few bonus feats throughout the class, say every 4 levels or so?
Possibly some degree of control over the flames, like the ability to breathe a cone instead of just a line or a 1-4(or scalable by level)/day usable fireball of blue flames that uses damage as though it were a number of levels lower?
What about a form of flight like blue flame propulsion as though it were a jet pack?
Or the ability to change what type of damage is dealt by the flames?
How about a small number of fire-based cantrips like light, spark, or so added over a few class levels for more out of combat utility?

Anyways I like the class.

gooddragon1
2018-02-12, 08:55 AM
In my opinion, this is basically warlock lite. That's not to say it's bad, it's actually pretty good. However it's kind of a one trick pony and those dead levels really hurt. And although common sense and occam's razor dictates what type of damage is dealt, you really might wanna put that in the description simply because there are quite a few people that would see that and go "sweet flames that deal untyped damage!"

I know you're not concerned with dead levels, and didn't really ask for this, but I have a few ideas for the dead levels:

Maybe give a few bonus feats throughout the class, say every 4 levels or so?
Possibly some degree of control over the flames, like the ability to breathe a cone instead of just a line or a 1-4(or scalable by level)/day usable fireball of blue flames that uses damage as though it were a number of levels lower?
What about a form of flight like blue flame propulsion as though it were a jet pack?
Or the ability to change what type of damage is dealt by the flames?
How about a small number of fire-based cantrips like light, spark, or so added over a few class levels for more out of combat utility?

Anyways I like the class.

You might have doubts after this: it is untyped damage. That's why spell resistance partially applies to it. Slightly better than the Warlock in the damage department. Meant to be very simple though. Maybe bonus feats, but I'll wait to see how the untyped damage news is recieved.

Aniikinis
2018-02-12, 01:26 PM
You might have doubts after this: it is untyped damage. That's why spell resistance partially applies to it. Slightly better than the Warlock in the damage department. Meant to be very simple though. Maybe bonus feats, but I'll wait to see how the untyped damage news is recieved.

Okay, I wasn't too sure on that part. So this is literally just warlock lite because Eldritch Blast is untyped by default, although essences can change the type. This class has almost nothing to do that isn't blasting and practically zero out of battle capability, save for healing. I know you want it to be simple, but I'd implement the bonus feats and probably something else to at least bring the class's power up a tad. Also, I'm not sure why you gave it 3/4ths BAB, the best thing it can do is attack and with little other usage I'd have given it full BAB.

gooddragon1
2018-02-12, 07:04 PM
Okay, I wasn't too sure on that part. So this is literally just warlock lite because Eldritch Blast is untyped by default, although essences can change the type. This class has almost nothing to do that isn't blasting and practically zero out of battle capability, save for healing. I know you want it to be simple, but I'd implement the bonus feats and probably something else to at least bring the class's power up a tad. Also, I'm not sure why you gave it 3/4ths BAB, the best thing it can do is attack and with little other usage I'd have given it full BAB.

Added a bonus feat list. Skills to 6+int and added in all the diplomatic skills + listen and spot. Going to add in a class feature that gives a flat bonus to diplomatic skills as well. That and the bonus feats will ensure no dead levels while giving out of combat usage and still keeping the class simplistic.

3 attacks at 19th level dealing 10d6 each is 30d6 which on average is 30 x 3.5 damage = 105 average damage ignoring damage reduction (assuming spell resistance beaten on each one). Another attack would bump that damage up to 140 damage. Eldritch glaive with a chausible of fell power 2d6 is 33d6, but spell resistance entirely negates the damage for each strike instead of halving it.