PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Blue Flame Conjurer [Base Class/Very Simple]

gooddragon1
2018-02-12, 12:06 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Aniikinis
2018-02-12, 08:39 AM
In my opinion, this is basically warlock lite. That's not to say it's bad, it's actually pretty good. However it's kind of a one trick pony and those dead levels really hurt. And although common sense and occam's razor dictates what type of damage is dealt, you really might wanna put that in the description simply because there are quite a few people that would see that and go "sweet flames that deal untyped damage!"

I know you're not concerned with dead levels, and didn't really ask for this, but I have a few ideas for the dead levels:

Maybe give a few bonus feats throughout the class, say every 4 levels or so?
Possibly some degree of control over the flames, like the ability to breathe a cone instead of just a line or a 1-4(or scalable by level)/day usable fireball of blue flames that uses damage as though it were a number of levels lower?
What about a form of flight like blue flame propulsion as though it were a jet pack?
Or the ability to change what type of damage is dealt by the flames?
How about a small number of fire-based cantrips like light, spark, or so added over a few class levels for more out of combat utility?

Anyways I like the class.

gooddragon1
2018-02-12, 08:55 AM
In my opinion, this is basically warlock lite. That's not to say it's bad, it's actually pretty good. However it's kind of a one trick pony and those dead levels really hurt. And although common sense and occam's razor dictates what type of damage is dealt, you really might wanna put that in the description simply because there are quite a few people that would see that and go "sweet flames that deal untyped damage!"

I know you're not concerned with dead levels, and didn't really ask for this, but I have a few ideas for the dead levels:

Maybe give a few bonus feats throughout the class, say every 4 levels or so?
Possibly some degree of control over the flames, like the ability to breathe a cone instead of just a line or a 1-4(or scalable by level)/day usable fireball of blue flames that uses damage as though it were a number of levels lower?
What about a form of flight like blue flame propulsion as though it were a jet pack?
Or the ability to change what type of damage is dealt by the flames?
How about a small number of fire-based cantrips like light, spark, or so added over a few class levels for more out of combat utility?

Anyways I like the class.

You might have doubts after this: it is untyped damage. That's why spell resistance partially applies to it. Slightly better than the Warlock in the damage department. Meant to be very simple though. Maybe bonus feats, but I'll wait to see how the untyped damage news is recieved.

Aniikinis
2018-02-12, 01:26 PM
You might have doubts after this: it is untyped damage. That's why spell resistance partially applies to it. Slightly better than the Warlock in the damage department. Meant to be very simple though. Maybe bonus feats, but I'll wait to see how the untyped damage news is recieved.

Okay, I wasn't too sure on that part. So this is literally just warlock lite because Eldritch Blast is untyped by default, although essences can change the type. This class has almost nothing to do that isn't blasting and practically zero out of battle capability, save for healing. I know you want it to be simple, but I'd implement the bonus feats and probably something else to at least bring the class's power up a tad. Also, I'm not sure why you gave it 3/4ths BAB, the best thing it can do is attack and with little other usage I'd have given it full BAB.

gooddragon1
2018-02-12, 07:04 PM
Okay, I wasn't too sure on that part. So this is literally just warlock lite because Eldritch Blast is untyped by default, although essences can change the type. This class has almost nothing to do that isn't blasting and practically zero out of battle capability, save for healing. I know you want it to be simple, but I'd implement the bonus feats and probably something else to at least bring the class's power up a tad. Also, I'm not sure why you gave it 3/4ths BAB, the best thing it can do is attack and with little other usage I'd have given it full BAB.

Added a bonus feat list. Skills to 6+int and added in all the diplomatic skills + listen and spot. Going to add in a class feature that gives a flat bonus to diplomatic skills as well. That and the bonus feats will ensure no dead levels while giving out of combat usage and still keeping the class simplistic.

3 attacks at 19th level dealing 10d6 each is 30d6 which on average is 30 x 3.5 damage = 105 average damage ignoring damage reduction (assuming spell resistance beaten on each one). Another attack would bump that damage up to 140 damage. Eldritch glaive with a chausible of fell power 2d6 is 33d6, but spell resistance entirely negates the damage for each strike instead of halving it.