PDA

View Full Version : Best adventure for noobs?

Schwann145
2018-02-12, 01:00 AM
So if you were going to be doing a semi/monthly game to introduce new players to D&D, and you were going to use a published adventure, which one would you go with? (ie: Most new-player friendly or captures the essence of D&D, etc?)
Hoard of the Dragon Queen/The Rise of Tiamat, Lost Mine of Phandelver, Curse of Strahd, etc.

Kane0
2018-02-12, 01:19 AM
Lost Mine of Phandelver is an excellent starting point, and feeds into other adventures too when you’re done with it.

Afrodactyl
2018-02-12, 03:46 AM
I've used The Horror At Helms Cross for new players and it worked well. It's on DMs Guild as a pay what you want module.

Nice mix of basic combat to intro which you can deal with as a social encounter if your players are that way inclined, a puzzle and then some combat with some status effects (ghouls), and then a boss with some spellcasting to round it off.

It's aimed at four level one characters, but I had a party of three so I gave them premade level two characters and tweaked the encounters slightly to accommodate. I also gave them an NPC who assisted with her crossbow and drawing aggro from badly wounded players. The NPC was the quest giver, who I statted as a commoner so she wasn't too influential.

The group had a blast and it went really smoothly.

:EDIT:

I didn't read the OP properly. I second Lost Mines of Phandelver, suggest Death House from the Curse of Strahd intro pack.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-12, 12:09 PM
Me and my friend Brazenburn took on a group of noobs this year and the first module we played was CoS and we are now in my dungeon based around Atlantis. I think that CoS went well but was tough on the new players. I say go with Lost Mine of Phandelver of SKT. Both are fun.

ImproperJustice
2018-02-12, 12:41 PM
I haven’t gotten to play Phandelver, but many others say it is good.

Our group started with Siege of the Sunless Citadel from Tales of the Abyss.
It was a good mix of dungeon crawl and NPC interactions as we had to wheel and deal with the NPCs inhabiting the dungeon.

dreast
2018-02-12, 01:05 PM
SKT is fun, but the first five levels are a travesty. I recommend the sunless citadel from TftYP for 1--3, and the follow-up dungeon from that book for 4--5, before you bring in the SKT plotline.

Cespenar
2018-02-13, 04:39 AM
Phandelver is surprisingly well-designed. Has its dungeon, its town, character hooks, roleplaying opportunities, kinda direct bits, kinda open-worldy bits, etc.

Almost like they did some actual thinking.