PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Role playing stats

sathes39
2018-02-12, 05:55 AM
One of my party members commented on how difficult it is
to roleplay a 20 INT, CHA or WIS.

So I want to do is create a set of guidelines
to help players roleplay stats of various levels.

Trouble is, there's a lot of overlap. For example, considering the consequences of
your actions considered wisdom or intelligence?

hymer
2018-02-12, 06:19 AM
Very ambitious!

For example, considering the consequences of

Economic consequences: Int.
Social consequences: Wis.
Political consequences: Could be either.

In other words, it depends.

nickl_2000
2018-02-12, 08:02 AM
This is a very challenging thread, because many people play it differently. Here's my take on the differences

Intelligence - This is RAW mental acumen. Your ability to learn, your amount of knowledge, your ability to apply your previous education into new situations. Also, it would be your ability to do research and plan ahead for situations. Often this would be called book smarts in today's society.

Wisdom - Street Smart and Common sense. Your ability to adjust to situations on the fly. Your ability to apply knowledge into the real world. Learning quickly from your mistakes. Reading people emotionally and understanding what makes them tick.

Charisma - Your ability to fit into social situations. Your ability to bend other to your will. Your presence in a room. Your personal magnitude. Someone with high charisma will naturally be the center of attention when they enter into a room. Others will hang on their every word and want to be around them.

From the Harry Potter World (not perfect, but it's something)
Highest Intelligence - Hermoine. She can learn anything and apply that knowledge, but is horrible with people much of the time and doesn't care as much about personal interactions
Highest Wisdom - Madam Pomfrey and Remis Lupin are probably the best examples I can think of in the stories. They quickly react to the situations and do what is needed and they read the room very well.
Highest Charisma - Harry (or even more so Gilderoy Lockhart), he easily makes friends and gets along with most people. When he enters a room, he is often the center of attention. However, he only knows about 4 spells in truth and doesn't make the best choices at time.

However, I am very much willing to listen to other peoples take.

Darth Ultron
2018-02-12, 08:42 AM
Trouble is, there's a lot of overlap. For example, considering the consequences of

It is not really ''trouble'', it's just that lots of actions fall under more then one. And it does not help that most people mix everything and all the words. Like when someone does something they know is a bad idea and dangerous, like say jump over a canyon on their bike, a lot of people say that guy was ''dumb'' or ''stupid''.....but what people really mean is more ''unwise''.

The consequences of your actions is definitely Wisdom. The pure facts and data are intelligence.

Intelligence is represented by things like memory, math in general, and problem solving. Most people you know have ''average memory'', like INT 10. They can remember a bit of a vague sampling of anything they saw or heard...but not too much, and not everything. To think like a computer, each point of intelligence is more memory. How many books, movies, tv shows or songs can you remember? How many do you remember just vaguely? How many do you remember lots of details? How many do you remember everything? Math is a bit more final. Think of each ''type'' of math as being another intelligence point or so...as long as you do it all in your head. Problem solving is a bit hard to show.

Wisdom is more the vague feelings/knowing of what to do and not to do.

Charisma is how well the person is liked and how likeable that person is to others.