PDA

View Full Version : Ammo and special materials

arkol
2007-08-27, 11:42 AM
Could anyone please confirm that the price listed in the special materials (cold iron/silver/etc..) for ammo is for a single piece of ammo? Or is it for he usual package (20 in case of arrows)?

daggaz
2007-08-27, 01:50 PM
I do believe its per fifty.

Douglas
2007-08-27, 02:07 PM
The extra cost is for each individual shot. Just like masterwork and magical enhancements, it works on a basis of 50 shots costs the same as one weapon.

UserClone
2007-08-27, 02:12 PM
Adamantine= +60gp ea. (free Mwk)
Darkwood= 170 gp per 20 (7 ea. Mwk+10 gp per pound)
Silver= +2 GP ea.
Cold Iron= 14 GP ea. (double cost of a Mwk arrow)
Mithral= +1500 per 20 (+500 per lb. /free Mwk)

That's what I extrapolated from that section in the DMG, anyway.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-08-27, 05:11 PM
The Official Word:

When buying ammunition using the special materials from Chapter 7 in the Dungeon Master’s Guide, is the cost given to upgrade a single piece, or do you get twenty pieces, as you do when buying nonmagic ammunition? For example, do twenty adamantine arrows cost 61 gp (twenty arrows for 1 + 60 gp for adamantine ammunition), or 1,201 gold pieces (twenty arrows for 1 +60 gp per arrow for adamantine ammunition)?

The ammunition prices for special materials are per piece. A single adamantine arrow costs 60 gp + 5 cp (the price for a single arrow). Twenty such arrows would cost 1,201 gp.

Generic Archer
2008-02-02, 02:37 AM
Sorry to res this thread, but i was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on this, or how they play it

The main reason is that an adamantine arrow for example costs 1201 times that of a normal one,
a adamantine weapon costs, at most, 3001 times as much (shortspear[1gp]) or, at the minimum 31 times as much (two bladed sword[100gp])
weapons average 27gp, or 112x base cost
light armour averages 143x base cost
medium armour averages: 98x
heavy armour averages:24x
and each of these are able to be used repeatedly, this makes me believe that these prices would be better used for a quiver (20 arrows) at a rate of 61x the normal base rate or possibly for 10, 122x

Cold iron I believe is fine as it doubles all costs, and I haven't seen anything that requires a special material weapon to be masterwork

mithral is per weight which again makes sense

Alchemical silver averages
Ammunition: 2.05gp/arrow = 41x base
3gp/20 arrows = 3x base
light weapons = 4x base
one handed = 8.1x base
two handed = 7.1x base
again my verdict is that it should be /20, or /10 arrows

Frosty
2008-02-02, 03:38 AM
Forget the arrows. Get your bow enchanted with the Force enchantment. You now bypass ALL DR, even DR/- for a +2 enchantment cost.

leperkhaun
2008-02-02, 04:39 AM
Cold iron I believe is fine as it doubles all costs, and I haven't seen anything that requires a special material weapon to be masterwork

Check out the description of various special matrieals.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm

The specifically state if items made from that material are masterwork.

I think basically except for Silver and Cold Iron all of them are.

Edivad
2008-02-02, 04:54 AM
Adamantine arrows would be quite expensive...I'd suggest using an house rule where projectiles made of tougher-than-steel materials have a decreased chance to break when used.

I think normal arrows are always destroyed if they hit, and have a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost if they miss. Perhaps adamantine arrows should never be destroyed by shooting them? It would make sense, if you think about it.

Swordguy
2008-02-02, 05:07 AM
Adamantine arrows would be quite expensive...I'd suggest using an house rule where projectiles made of tougher-than-steel materials have a decreased chance to break when used.

I think normal arrows are always destroyed if they hit, and have a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost if they miss. Perhaps adamantine arrows should never be destroyed by shooting them? It would make sense, if you think about it.

"Black Arrow...you've never failed me, and I've always recovered you..."

Edivad
2008-02-02, 05:30 AM
"Black Arrow...you've never failed me, and I've always recovered you..."

Yes, you got it. Basically, I think it would be nice if magical and "special"arrows just didn't break like normal ones, and maybe you could use a very powerful arrow as an artifact or heirloom - just like the Black Arrow of Bard.

Zenos
2008-02-02, 05:40 AM
Yes, you got it. Basically, I think it would be nice if magical and "special"arrows just didn't break like normal ones, and maybe you could use a very powerful arrow as an artifact or heirloom - just like the Black Arrow of Bard.

"And then the dragon Smaug wrecked havoc on the Men because Bard had used his black arrow
to shoot a sparrow (whee, that rhymed).

Generic Archer
2008-02-02, 05:55 AM
my apologies leperkhaun you were right, must have missed that because i expected it to be like the magic enhancements, an overall rule. i can't find anything that says that they are destroyed on a hit, maybe i also assumed that from the magical ammunition as well.
Those numbers still don't look right to me, but I'll give that decision to my DM/s
but i'd still like those ratios to be a little closer to those of weapons