PDA

View Full Version : Mortalbane question

skunk3
2018-02-12, 02:50 PM
"A mortalbane ability is a damaging spell-like ability that deals 2d6 points of additional damage when used against living nonoutsiders, but only half damage (rounded down) against outsiders, undead, and constructs. For example, if a mortalbane cone of cold froma gelugon would normally deal 45 points of damage, it actually deals 45 + 2d6 points of damage to a humanoid, but only 22 points of damage to a night hag. Creatures immune to cold--regardless of their type--still take no damage from a mortalbane cone of cold. Mortalbane can be applied to each of a creature's spell-like abilities five times per day, though the feat does not allow the creature to exceed its normal usage limit for any ability. Thus, if a gelugon chooses to apply Mortalbane to its cone of cold ability, it can use a mortalbane cone of cold up to five times that day. Thereafter, it could use its cone of cold ability again normally (since it can use cone of cold at will)."

I have an Eldritch Disciple.

From reading the feat description, my understanding of it is that you don't merely get 5 uses of mortalbane total per day - you get 5 uses per day PER each SLA that you can use that can benefit from mortalbane... in other words, by taking mortalbane I can use it 5x/day with my eldritch blast and also 5x per day with, say, chilling tentacles. Am I correct here? It specifically says: "Mortalbane can be applied to each of a creature's spell-like abilities five times per day, though the feat does not allow the creature to exceed its normal usage limit for any ability." A warlock has no usage limit per day, so that part doesn't matter.

To me it's clear that Mortalbane is basically a "must-have" for warlocks, especially mine since I will have EB, chilling tentacles, caustic mire, and nightmares made real. I can use mortalbane on each of those 5x a day unless I'm mistaken?

AnimeTheCat
2018-02-12, 03:07 PM
With most feats and other things like this, you have to pick a SLA that it applies to. You would have to take the feat Mortalbane (Eldritch Blast) for it to apply to your EB and then you would need to take it multiple times to apply to each of your other SLAs. Now, I'm AFB ATM, but that how feats like that usually work. I'm basing this primarily off of concept and my vague recollection of that feat.

EDIT:
I got to my phone. It would seem that it does indeed apply to all SLAs and stacks with itself each time you take it...

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-12, 03:22 PM
They way it is worded, if a creature has 2 SLAs then it can be applied to the first SLA 5 times and the second SLA 5 times. I don't know if that was the original intent, but that is how it is worded.

The only example I can recall of seeing it being used where the user had more than one applicable SLA the DM allowed the player to use Mortalbane 5 times per day total, but that could be divided up among any of his SLAs. However in other instances where an ability works that way the rules have usually been clear that was the case. So the DM was likely more strict than the wording implies.

Note that the SLA has to be a damaging SLA to begin with, so it's not going to apply in the case of every invocation a Warlock can use.

skunk3
2018-02-12, 05:03 PM
I always assumed that it was 5x/day total amongst all abilities but I guess not. This feat will get better and better as I continue to level and pick up more invocations. I'm glad that I decided to re-read the feat description lol.

Nebuul
2018-02-12, 06:45 PM
Also I wanted to point out that mortalbane does damage "when an ability is used against a living nonoutsider." This is sometimes misinterpreted as "if cast against a living nonoutsider," which is an extremely important distinction. Take eldritch glaive as an example: If you have iterative attacks, you could easily use it multiple times.

What I'm getting at is this: a mortalbane spell-like ability deals bonus damage every single time it deals damage against a viable target. So is much more valuable on some invocations than others.