PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Drunken Master weapons?

Miz_Liz
2018-02-12, 05:13 PM
So I'm about to start off on a new campaign that takes place in a homebrew world that is essentially magical ancient Egypt. We are starting at level 4, so my character is a fire genasi Drunken Master monk 3/bard 1 (Mainly for story reasons, I'll be sticking mostly to monk). Because we are starting at a higher level, DM is offering everyone the chance to create their own unique magical weapon to begin with and frankly, I'm at a loss. She is very silly and dramatic, and *pretends* to be actually drunk about 90% of the time.

Any advice on a scale-able monk weapon to fit the character/ locale?

SkylarkR6
2018-02-12, 05:18 PM
How about... Magical wrist bangles that make music while you fight? Give them a scalable bonus to your unarmed damage or add +x <element> and a bonus to Performance checks.

strangebloke
2018-02-12, 05:29 PM
Depends on how loosely you're willing to define 'weapon.'

If it's restricted to: "Stuff you hit people with" then I'd roll up some kind of wrist strap. You probably don't want to be cutting guys, I'm guessing, what with this being a silly character and all. I would probably makes something that interacts with Ki, since that's where all the fun of the monk class is.

Like: whenever I expend three ki points on a turn, I get one back. This allows you to be a little burstier without running out of resources.

If it's more general? How about a flagon that enchants the alcohol in it to be super-extra flammable.

Something like: As an action, a character may take a swig from the Sunfilled Wineskin and expel the fluid as 10-foot cone of fire. Creatures in the cone must make a reflex save. They take fire damage equal to the damage of the character's unarmed strike on a failed save, or half damage on a successful save.

This feature can be used a number of times between short rest equal to the character's CON modifier.

NO idea how balanced either of these are.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-12, 05:32 PM
How about... Magical wrist bangles that make music while you fight? Give them a scalable bonus to your unarmed damage or add +x <element> and a bonus to Performance checks.

That works. Bracelets are stereotypically one of the common accessories to find in ancient Egypt-inspired settings.

If you really want to be silly, ask for a totem pole mace that does 4d12 damage but has - 10 to hit. Then hand it to another party member and tell him to hit you with it when you're standing next to the boss. When an attack misses a Drunken Master, she can force that attack to hit (not target, but hit) another creature within 5'. This is a goofy trick to play with a Barbarian friend.

Ventruenox
2018-02-12, 05:41 PM
What about an unbreakable Amphora (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphora) on a rope? Treat it as a 1d4 bludgeoning weapon with reach. You can use your object interaction to roleplay taking a sip from it between attacks. As long as it is considered a monk weapon, the damage die will scale. If you need an additional property, give it charges to refill itself with wine similar to the Alchemy Jug.

Miz_Liz
2018-02-12, 05:43 PM
This is definitely one to think about. I'll mention it to my DM.

If it's more general? How about a flagon that enchants the alcohol in it to be super-extra flammable.
I didn't mention it because I already figured that one out but we're getting a standard magical item as well. Mine is going to be a sort of nerfed alchemy jug. Basically a flask that provides water at will, and can be switched back and forth between water and alcohol. It's to maintain the allusion she's actually drunk. great idea, though.

If you really want to be silly, ask for a totem pole mace that does 4d12 damage but has - 10 to hit. Then hand it to another party member and tell him to hit you with it when you're standing next to the boss. When an attack misses a Drunken Master, she can force that attack to hit (not target, but hit) another creature within 5'. This is a goofy trick to play with a Barbarian friend.
That is hilarious, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Miz_Liz
2018-02-12, 05:45 PM
What about an unbreakable Amphora on a rope? Treat it as a 1d4 bludgeoning weapon with reach. You can use your object interaction to roleplay taking a sip from it between attacks. As long as it is considered a monk weapon, the damage die will scale. If you need an additional property, give it charges to refill itself with wine similar to the Alchemy Jug.

Oooooooh. This might be the one. Time to do some brainstorming!

Pelle
2018-02-12, 06:11 PM
As the ancient Egyptians were famous for their beer, a mash paddle could be appropriate. That piece of equipment might be anachronistic, though.

Dudewithknives
2018-02-12, 06:41 PM
Well technically all monk weapons would scale, how about a Khopesh as a reflavored sickle.

RickAsWritten
2018-02-12, 07:39 PM
This is a goofy trick to play with a Barbarian friend.

Kinda off topic, but...This. Is. Awesome.

Step 1- Be a level 6 Drunk Monk
Step 2- Have a Gnome or Halfling GWM Barbarian friend
Step 3- Drunkenly wander up to BBEG, but facing the wrong direction and shout in a slurred, questionably menacing way, "Hit me with all you've got, big guy." BBEG is worried you may be a little too drunk.
Step 4- Tiny little Barbarian friend with comically oversized hammer waddles up and wails away(with -5/+10 and disadvantage) at drunky.
Step 5- A stumble and a clonk.

ImproperJustice
2018-02-13, 02:44 PM
In honor of the great Jackie:

A coat which takes 1d4 rounds to remove. Once removed you can entangle a foe with it as a bonus action or gain advantage on checks to disarm.
On a successful grapple you can place the coat half on you, and half on them and drag them about the battlefield at half speed while continuing to make future attacks unimpeded.

xroads
2018-02-13, 04:11 PM
What about an unbreakable Amphora (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphora) on a rope? Treat it as a 1d4 bludgeoning weapon with reach. You can use your object interaction to roleplay taking a sip from it between attacks. As long as it is considered a monk weapon, the damage die will scale. If you need an additional property, give it charges to refill itself with wine similar to the Alchemy Jug.

I agree with the OP. That does sound like a fun idea.

If your DM doesn't like the reach idea, another idea might be to hang it from a long stick and treat it like +1 quarterstaff. Or wield a magical beer stein/jug and treat it like a +1 club.

danpit2991
2018-02-13, 04:13 PM
i cant believe no one has stated the obvious adamantine beer mugs that are always full of ale and never spill that you hold and punch with like brass knuckles give em a plus one or some such.

i know from my navy days that a beer mug makes great knuckleduster and if it shatters its a sharp knuckleduster lol

EDIT_xroads ninjaed me

Miz_Liz
2018-02-13, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone so much for the help. I am definitely going to have to keep these ideas in mind for future plans. I've decided to go mostly with the amphora idea, combining it with the other magical item I will get. I think this should be relatively balanced, and thanks to those lovely martial arts dice it will scale with me. Tell me what you think:

Amphora of Endless Staggering
This magically unbreakable jug is permanently attached to a six foot rope that can be used to swing the jug and make an attack at reach. The weapon is +1 and on a hit deals 1d6+dex bludgeoning damage. Additionally, this jug can fill with water on command, and as an action the user can magically switch the water to hard liquor and back. Once per day, the jug can produce one cup of any liquid it has had inside it in the past.

This is going to be soooooo much fun!

Vogie
2018-02-13, 04:44 PM
My immediate thought was that fan-made Punisher short film (The Punisher: Dirty Laundry) where the titular character takes on gang members in an alley using only a bottle of Jack Daniels.

... and I see you've already got it stat'd out. Oh well.

xroads
2018-02-13, 04:55 PM
Thanks everyone so much for the help. I am definitely going to have to keep these ideas in mind for future plans. I've decided to go mostly with the amphora idea, combining it with the other magical item I will get. I think this should be relatively balanced, and thanks to those lovely martial arts dice it will scale with me. Tell me what you think:

Amphora of Endless Staggering
This magically unbreakable jug is permanently attached to a six foot rope that can be used to swing the jug and make an attack at reach. The weapon is +1 and on a hit deals 1d6+dex bludgeoning damage. Additionally, this jug can fill with water on command, and as an action the user can magically switch the water to hard liquor and back. Once per day, the jug can produce one cup of any liquid it has had inside it in the past.

This is going to be soooooo much fun!

It doesn't strike me as being a weapon that has finesse. Plus it already has reach. I recommend having it do a 1d4 dmg and use strength as the attack and damage modifier. That way you should be able to get it classified as a simple weapon as opposed to a martial weapon.

Fortunately, all simple weapons can be treated as monk weapons. So you can still use dexterity for your attacks and damage. And within a couple levels, the damage goes up to d6 anyways.

Ventruenox
2018-02-13, 05:08 PM
That looks like a lot of fun. You get a signature weapon with lots of roleplay value. I feel that the liquid recall feature is fantastic, but needs some sort of safeguard in the wording. As written, I could easily munchkin it.

Do you want it to be able to replicate highly valuable liquids for profit? How about liquid forms of non consumable materials (molten metals, rock, poison, oozes)? If you pour a magical potion in it, will it replicate those? Carry a water elemental once, then you can make mini-mentals once a day?

Maybe change that last line to: "Once per day, the jug can produce one cup of any non-magical consumable liquid it has had inside it in the past. This liquid may only be consumed from this jug."

That way you get to collect your favorite liquors from the campaign without allowing your toy to break the game.

Miz_Liz
2018-02-13, 08:58 PM
It doesn't strike me as being a weapon that has finesse. Plus it already has reach. I recommend having it do a 1d4 dmg and use strength as the attack and damage modifier. That way you should be able to get it classified as a simple weapon as opposed to a martial weapon.

Fortunately, all simple weapons can be treated as monk weapons. So you can still use dexterity for your attacks and damage. And within a couple levels, the damage goes up to d6 anyways.

That is very true, the dex bonus is just for simplicity. This is a unique weapon for me that probably won't be used anywhere else, so I just plugged it in as dex automatically. If I were to put it out somewhere I'd probably make it strength. The 1d6 was a decision I made with the approval of my DM because I really don't like the idea of my weapon attack being the same damage as my unarmed attack from the get-go. Eventually my unarmed will catch up of course, but it was just something I requested and he agreed with.

That looks like a lot of fun. You get a signature weapon with lots of roleplay value. I feel that the liquid recall feature is fantastic, but needs some sort of safeguard in the wording. As written, I could easily munchkin it.

Do you want it to be able to replicate highly valuable liquids for profit? How about liquid forms of non consumable materials (molten metals, rock, poison, oozes)? If you pour a magical potion in it, will it replicate those? Carry a water elemental once, then you can make mini-mentals once a day?

Maybe change that last line to: "Once per day, the jug can produce one cup of any non-magical consumable liquid it has had inside it in the past. This liquid may only be consumed from this jug."

That way you get to collect your favorite liquors from the campaign without allowing your toy to break the game.

Also true, but this is actually already the toned down version and the DM has approved pretty much on the basis of I'm not a "Let's break the game" type of player. Originally I had it as "Once a day the jug can fill to capacity with any liquid" and my DM's response was "I do not need a party with access to half a gallon of alchemist's fire everyday!" so apparently he is down with magical liquids being a possibility, although I have no plans to try and use it for healing pots because, frankly, **** move. This is again something I would probably tighten the wording of if I were to put it out there for use other than by myself, but with understanding of the weapon I think it's good.

Finback
2018-02-14, 04:28 AM

There's a bit in the opening of Kung Fu Hustle that showcases what an awesome "weapon" large iron bracelets can be in combat for a monk..

Dudewithknives
2018-02-14, 07:50 AM
There's a bit in the opening of Kung Fu Hustle that showcases what an awesome "weapon" large iron bracelets can be in combat for a monk..

I love that movie, saw it in the theater 4 times.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-02-14, 09:29 AM
I suggest a tankard of ale. An adamantine plated tankard that deals 1d6 bl and is always full when you take a sip. Great for bar fights.

Flikis
2018-03-05, 04:44 AM
I would like to suggest a small wooden bench. It's magical properties could also explain why it is leveld on all surfaces in addition to the combat bonus. If you travel, it is important to concider comfort.

Arkhios
2018-03-05, 06:01 AM
A "bit" late to the discussion, but having read the Amphora suggestion, another alternative sprung up in my mind. But, as I said, I'm late so feel free to ignore this (maybe someone else likes the idea):

A magical amphora, which, when held in one hand, bestows you the ability to treat any hand-held item in the other hand as a monk weapon, dealing damage according to your Martial Arts. As an action, you can expend 1 ki point, making the item a magic weapon with a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls for 1 minute. You can use this ability once before you must finish a short or long rest to do so again.