PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What makes a good ribbon ability?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-02-12, 07:27 PM
Note: For the purposes of this question, I'm using "ribbon" as a class feature that has little direct combat use. No disparagement is intended.

I find the hardest thing for me when building a new race, class, or even NPCs/rewards is adding flavorful ribbons. I find myself only really motivated about those pieces that are combat related, even though I intellectually realize that aesthetics as well as the exploration and social tiers are important (and often occupy as much of my games as combat).

What helps you come up with good, flavorful, useful ribbons?

suplee215
2018-02-12, 07:33 PM
Depends on the class but think of what you want them to do. If they are some sort of upper class/soldier used to being envoys for their king some type of ability to help with CHR skills. If you envision them as being wilderness survials then knowing which direction to go or which plants are safe to eat. Basically think of how you envision the class in general interacting with NPCs.

Jama7301
2018-02-12, 07:45 PM
I'm not sure how helpful it would be, but would thinking about the Ribbon affixed to a blank NPC chassis work? You could see how something like, Friends to Animals could change a regular person to someone who may be more in touch with nature or with horses. The ability kind of infers what sort of thing they're good at, outside of combat stuff.

Unoriginal
2018-02-12, 08:08 PM
I'm not sure how helpful it would be, but would thinking about the Ribbon affixed to a blank NPC chassis work? You could see how something like, Friends to Animals could change a regular person to someone who may be more in touch with nature or with horses. The ability kind of infers what sort of thing they're good at, outside of combat stuff.

Pretty good idea here, Jama7301.

ShadowSandbag
2018-02-12, 08:15 PM
I think Monk has really good ribbons, because they make for interesting roleplay. Timeless Body meaning you can't age isn't going to help in 90% of campaigns and the no food/water isn't going to come up in a decent amount of campaigns either. But it makes the character more interesting and can make you feel more important/powerful. Then on the other side you have something like Tongue of the Sun and Moon which, while not a combat skill, has a clear use. It is super easy to imagine a scenario in which it will come in handy. And again, it has cool flavor.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-02-12, 09:16 PM
So let me know what you think about these ribbons for an elemental-oriented class (summons and controls elemental pets, warlock spell-casting)--

When you reach 4th level you have gained a wide familiarity with planar manifestations. You can determine whether a particular creature is from another plane or whether a magical effect is due to an extraplanar source (such as a devil’s curse). Make an Intelligence (Arcana) check. On a result of 10 or higher, you know the source's origin plane. For every 5 points higher, you learn one significant fact (such as the type of creature that created it, a weakness or strength, how it arrived on this plane, etc.).

Starting at 9th level you have learned to communicate to all sorts of planar dwellers. You learn to speak and read two languages of your choice from the following list: Abyssal, Infernal, Aquan, Ignan, Terran, or Auran.
In addition, you have advantage on any Charisma-based ability check to persuade, intimidate, or deceive while speaking those two languages, and advantage on Wisdom (Insight) checks against speakers of those languages.

Starting at 18th level, you have adapted to the elemental energies coursing through you. You no longer suffer the effects of extreme hot or extreme cold, and you no longer need to eat, drink, or breath. This extends to the effects from being on the elemental planes.

The whole class (WIP) is here (Google Doc) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bCR5BxiOP-5w84rKvRvN_pYDKyOGHR4WNpRohwmzs0M/edit?usp=sharing)

ShadowSandbag
2018-02-12, 10:21 PM
Those all look great! The one thing I might add is proficiency in Arcana on the first one, ut even that might be too strong.

The Cats
2018-02-12, 11:24 PM
Should add celestial and sylvan to the planar languages list.

strangebloke
2018-02-13, 12:50 AM
Good ribbons are situationally overpowered.

Advantage on persuade checks against dragons? Completely changed the outcome of my game when it came up. Big persuade check against an ancient worm.

Favored enemy? Mostly irrelevant, and then the undead enter the field and the ranger's player gets that little smile.