PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hexblade help.

Rickerdoo
2018-02-12, 08:57 PM
I am starting a new campaign Friday night. I am playing a half elf Warlock-hexblade.

Quick background. Mother was a minor noble wood elf who fell in love with a human bard. Damn dirty bard knocked her up. My Grandfather (evil tyrant) was not happy, Father 'disappeared' before I was born. From then on my mothers life was a living hell. When she finally died from grief, I stole my Grandfathers prized possession. A long sword made from a strange black metal. The metal seemed to move and swirl when i stared at it. The more I carried the sword, the more I knew it was trying to communticate with me. This was my path to Hexblade.

I am trying to figure out who my Patreon might be for a hexblade. Any ideas?

Kane0
2018-02-12, 09:37 PM
Well hexblade is the patron, so might be best to leave the significance of the blade or what it represents open for the DM to come up with, it’s a handy plot hook.
Or pick out a cool extraplanar entity that uses or posseses the same weapon, acting as something of a proxy patron.

Consensus
2018-02-12, 09:38 PM
This seems like a good opportunity to have the same amount of knowledge as your character, I think having your dm control this aspect of the story would make all the developments that much more interesting, it they and you like that sort of thing

Callin
2018-02-12, 10:08 PM
My Hexblade has a god as a patron. The sword he carries has the last remaining essence of the God.

Malifice
2018-02-13, 12:26 AM
I am trying to figure out who my Patreon might be for a hexblade. Any ideas?

Your sword. Your sword is your patron.

Fluff wise they were placed there by the Raven Queen.

Jerrykhor
2018-02-13, 12:38 AM
Blackrazor's brother, Darkshaver.

Malifice
2018-02-13, 12:47 AM

My HB's sword is called Mournbringer.

Cough*Elric-rip-off*cough

Kane0
2018-02-13, 01:40 AM
Your sword. Your sword is your patron.

Man I would hate that. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Enserric_the_Sword)

Asmotherion
2018-02-13, 03:07 AM
Your story is interesting and legit. Your DM can have you discover a lot of things wile you play about who is the real identity of your Patron, have your Grandfather stal your weapon at 3rd level (only to have you prove that you can summon it back if you go down the Blade-lock path/or that you can channel it's essance to whatever weapon you wield), etc.

Gradually discovering lore/class abilities is the best kind of D&D a DM can offer you, so embrace it if you have the option.

It is very taxing on the DMs part on the other hand, so most DMs just go with "you just automatically know this stuff/learn it during downtime".

Unoriginal
2018-02-13, 04:25 AM

Or Blackadder

JakOfAllTirades
2018-02-13, 08:30 AM

Or maybe Occam's Cordless Electric.

I'll let myself out....

Vogie
2018-02-13, 10:14 AM
You could have the Grandfather's sword actually be a broken greatsword, with the existing blade fragment still being quite sharp, but is now the size of a one-handed sword. Perhaps it was broken in the battle where the family member disappeared.

(once you reach level 3 and choose a bladepact, it is "reformed" as either the original greatsword, a longsword, or whatever your PC is building around)

It gives a Narsil-Anduril type feel to it.

As for the Patron, you have a couple of choices:

Sentient Weapon, such as the Darkin Blades from LoL or , that actually communicates with you
Weapon with Vestige of Sentience, such as a curse or bound spirit, like a horcrux or the wraith Celebrimbor from the Shadows of Mordor game.
An Empathetic weapon, such as the Witchblade or Dr. Strange's Cloak of Levitation
A fragment or sliver of something larger. Perhaps the sword was forged from a meteor or star, pieces from other ancient weapons, armor or artifacts. It could also be a key to a mysterious lock, part of a larger suit of armor, or is an aspect/component of a more powerful weapon.