PDA

View Full Version : School Starting Soon :( or :)?

Don Beegles
2007-08-27, 12:08 PM
Today is the last day of summer for me, and probably for quite a few of you as well. I can't decide whether or not I'm looking forward to it. There's the obvious "It's School", but I think I'll like most of my classes. Of course, 5 of them are AP and one of the other two is Honors, but on the bright side, I'll probably learn alot. And it's my senior year and I have to start applying to colleges, but it goes by fast and then I'm in college. Just about the only up is that I'll be able to see my friends/girlfriends more than once a week or so.

How is everyone else feeling about going back?

PirateMonk
2007-08-27, 12:10 PM
I've never understood this concept of starting school in August. But then, I suppose it depends on when you get out.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-27, 12:15 PM
I've already been in school a week.

only reason i'm not there right now is b/c i had to go get a bone scan for my stress fracture.

the whole classes thing sucks, but the social part is awesome.

Jibar
2007-08-27, 12:19 PM
I'll be starting next... Thursday, properly. Whole new school for me, up to college.
I'm a little worried. Most of my friends are going to a different school, which means I'm gonna have to make new friends, and me being socially inept and abyssmally shy, plus extremely paranoid, makes this an Epic level challagne.

Ceska
2007-08-27, 12:22 PM
It's my final year in school and probably the only one I have to do work to get good grades (since I always got rather good grades, but I want some more A's this year) so I'm not secure if I should feel happy about it or not. It certainly will be a change of pace. The only thing I really look forward to is finding out if I can get into the elective History class as I wished since I already had too many electives. We have a system letting you choose ten hours per week in three years which means you get for example three hours to the usual classes in one year, three in the next and one in the last, but I already had more than that and yet want more, which I was assured would be possible now two years ago.

But yes, as of now I would be happy to go back to school. I still have until *checks school's homepage* tenth of September though.

Jacklu
2007-08-27, 12:24 PM
College starts for me on Thursday as well. This is my second year. It won't be too bad for me though, I decided to sing up for several classes that I don't technically need for my major but sounded fun. I'm looking forward to this semester.

Hoggy
2007-08-27, 12:27 PM
I'm not back until the 11th or something (I really oughgta find exactly when), but :(. Definately :(.

Mephibosheth
2007-08-27, 12:29 PM
My classes start next week Tuesday. It's my final semester of undergrad and I'm taking as light a credit load as possible, so I'm not too stressed. On the other hand, I am taking a graduate student seminar on the history of India, so I'll probably be doing way more work than my 12 credits (the minimum for a full-time student here) would indicate. So, um...meh.

The_Werebear
2007-08-27, 12:33 PM
School started today for me. And the laptop I take notes on blew up yesterday. The tech guys say it is going to be at least a week, maybe two, to fix, meaning it will be a month before I have it back. The Spanish class forgot to give me one of the books I need, and the union is already sold out of the tapes I have to have for that class as well. The house I rent out needs one more renter to keep the utility bills in check, and I couldn't get an add in the paper because my computer lost internet capacity before I could get it in. I am typing this in the school computer lab on a slow computer.

Not an auspicious start.

:headdesk:

Stadge
2007-08-27, 12:33 PM
Well, I've got an induction day kind of thing on Monday, but I'm starting properly on Thursday.

Bit nervous about it, as it's a whole new college for me, and, judging from its requirements, I won't seem as clever in comparison to everyone else. Not sure if thats bad or not yet, because looking like a fool sometimes has advantages.

But it should all be ok cos there's a few of us coming from my school, not as many as hoped, but still a few anyway, so its not all going to be new.

Oh and good luck in the current (academic) year. Well, you can also have good lucl in the current non-academic year as well if you want.

CrazedGoblin
2007-08-27, 12:38 PM
my first year of 6th form or college as some people know it starts soon and 4 days after we go back its my birthday which sucks... but then iagain i get to seem my friends around on my birthday :smallbiggrin:

ALOR
2007-08-27, 12:42 PM
I'll be starting next... Thursday, properly. Whole new school for me, up to college.
I'm a little worried. Most of my friends are going to a different school, which means I'm gonna have to make new friends, and me being socially inept and abyssmally shy, plus extremely paranoid, makes this an Epic level challagne.

allow someone who has/is going thru the same thing give you some advice.
Don't live your life like this. College is a new experiance. Anyone who is stuck on thier old high school "cool/not cool" mentality will get a rude awakening. I have lived my whole life shy, socially inept and paranoid and I find myself at 28 years old not having gone anywhere in life because of this. Be your self at school. Make yourself open to new experiances and people. Thier are gaming clubs for you to join if that is an easier way for you to meet people. But don't let your shyness control you. Trust me, I know it's easier said than done.
good luck to you.

The_Werebear
2007-08-27, 12:46 PM
allow someone who has/is going thru the same thing give you some advice.
Don't live your life like this. College is a new experiance. Anyone who is stuck on thier old high school "cool/not cool" mentality will get a rude awakening. I have lived my whole life shy, socially inept and paranoid and I find myself at 28 years old not having gone anywhere in life because of this. Be your self at school. Make yourself open to new experiances and people. Thier are gaming clubs for you to join if that is an easier way for you to meet people. But don't let your shyness control you. Trust me, I know it's easier said than done.
good luck to you.

ALOR is quite correct.

Seize the day. All of high school, I spent essentially away from everyone else save a close circle of friends. I kept to myself and when I had to speak, wasn't myself. I made a real effort to make friends and expand my comfort zone in college. I ended up going to a social where I met my girlfriend, as well as a bunch of other cool people.

I guess the thing to really work hard to remember is that almost no one will know you, or anything else. You essentially get a blank slate to work with.

zeratul
2007-08-27, 12:53 PM
Heh I'm remaining neutral. I have decided to be neiither pessamisstic, or optomistic about this. What will happen will happen, and I'll try hard to get good grades.

Castaras
2007-08-27, 12:54 PM
Going back not this thursday, but the thursday after.

Got a week and a bit left of the holidays...Feels like it's only been 2 weeks, rather than 5ish...:smallfrown:

Means I'll get to see my school-friends again, which is good. :smallsmile:

Starting my GCSEs is kinda =S at the moment...No idea whether that's :smallsmile: or :smallfrown:...

Jibar
2007-08-27, 12:56 PM
You essentially get a blank slate to work with.

Umm... yeah, no.
I've built up a repuation in this town, which has actually crept out beyond this into nearby centres of population.
They may not know me by name or by face, but they sure as hell know of my deeds.
(For the record that fish so totally was staring at me)

ufo
2007-08-27, 12:57 PM
School is bleh!

I started a week ago, at a new school. Lots of cool new people etc., but ack the classes are boring!

ALOR
2007-08-27, 12:58 PM
Umm... yeah, no.
I've built up a repuation in this town, which has actually crept out beyond this into nearby centres of population.
They may not know me by name or by face, but they sure as hell know of my deeds.
(For the record that fish so totally was staring at me)

how far away from your home town is the school your going to? is it a big school?

bugsysservant
2007-08-27, 01:02 PM
I'm starting on Thursday, though really all that happens then is photos, lockers, etc. While I do enjoy the social aspects of school, and the fact that I get some serious reading done by printing off books and slipping it in my notes (read the entire discworld series in the first half of last year. Sigh. Good Times.), I generally loathe school. My biggest objection is that its based largely on effort, not capability or results. I expect this year to be pretty hard for me, since I am only a junior and already have three AP classes, and a host of other advanced ones. Oh well, may as well make the best of it.

Telonius
2007-08-27, 01:07 PM
:smallfrown:
Not because I'm in school, but because that means my work is going to get busier. The scientists get back their slave la... er, their graduate students, and start submitting more papers. Boo work.

Morty
2007-08-27, 01:28 PM
I'm starting my school exactly next Monday. Bleh. It's even worse because teachers in my school belive it to be "elite" and they're bent on making our world a living hell. And I don't even like to socialize with people in my school.

Calamity
2007-08-27, 01:29 PM
Why did you remind me! I'm trying to ignore the fact that i hve to go back there, a week tommorrow!

:smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Brickwall
2007-08-27, 01:34 PM
I don't have to go until mid-September. HAHAHAHAHAAAA! :smallbiggrin:

Tom_Violence
2007-08-27, 01:37 PM
I don't start school until the beginning of October, but I've got no worries about my fourth and final year. The only real worry I have is whether or not I'm going to be able to scrape together an opportuinity to get some much-needed work experience within this year.

Jibar
2007-08-27, 01:42 PM
how far away from your home town is the school your going to? is it a big school?

It's right in the middle of my home town, and it's a relatively big school.
Trust me, I'll have no troubles though. I always seem to accidentally make friends anyway.

Duchess_of_Elysian
2007-08-27, 01:45 PM
This is the first summer I'm not going back to school, as I graduated this past winter. I keep feeling kind of twitchy, like I'm supposed to be packing or shopping or getting ready. It feels really weird.

ALOR
2007-08-27, 02:04 PM
It's right in the middle of my home town, and it's a relatively big school.
Trust me, I'll have no troubles though. I always seem to accidentally make friends anyway.

cool, well good luck.
Just try to keep my advice in mind

ocato
2007-08-27, 02:05 PM
I started today. Woke up late, missed a class, and spent 2 hours roaming campus trying to map my routes and find my buildings. Then I paid 1.75 for a bottle of pop (!?) and I sorta know where I'm going. I need to find/go to the bank so I can buy supplies/food for the house because my roommates "don't cook"

de-trick
2007-08-27, 02:06 PM
grade 10 starts for me at the end of August, I like most of my classes, but not sure what teachers I got yet till tomorrow or win I have my courses so how the year is a mystery

Pro

get to see friends I never saw for a long time
get out every day
get back in shape
maybe get a girlfriend
see hot chicks
learn stuff

Negatives

see people I hate
Get bullied
get up at 7 to get ready
homework
drama of friends and that
have to work everyday
only play D&D once a day
sending alot of money for food, supplies and that

Brickwall
2007-08-27, 02:07 PM
I always seem to accidentally make friends anyway.

No offense, but I'm just gonna despise you for a while, m'kay? :smallannoyed:

Korith
2007-08-27, 02:24 PM
I answer... :p

I graduated from university in 2005, and still kind of miss it all.

Fortunately, I got to inhale the nostalgia when I went to visit the campus back on Saturday. So many memories :smallsigh:

Mad Scientist
2007-08-27, 02:35 PM
Classes start up again on Tuesday the 4th. But seeing as I'm only registered for grad level research, it's life as usual working in the lab. (Get a PhD! You can be a student for 5 or 6 years AFTER getting your bachelors degree!) So, school starting means the bus will be running on a more convenient schedule, the gym will FINALLY be open later, and my favorite lunch cafe will be super busy. All in all, I have to say :smallsmile:

Tom_Violence
2007-08-27, 03:20 PM

No offense, but I'm just gonna despise you for a while, m'kay? :smallannoyed:

Aww, and there I was thinking that you internet people were perfectly happy with the asocial cocoon! :smalltongue:

RAGE KING!
2007-08-27, 06:41 PM
I've already been in school a week.

only reason i'm not there right now is b/c i had to go get a bone scan for my stress fracture.

I'll be in school in a week.

You have a fracture? Fracture buddies! I've fractured one bone for every 4.3 years of my life.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-27, 06:44 PM
Today was my first day, and it wasn't so bad. Just gave us a bunch of forms to fill out and our supply lists. I am pretty happy because I have friends in all my classes. :smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2007-08-27, 07:13 PM
Aww, and there I was thinking that you internet people were perfectly happy with the asocial cocoon! :smalltongue:

We are. Now drop dead you smug sociable b@st@rd! :smalltongue: :smallwink:

School? If I ever go back into a classroom again it'll either be to get another degree, or as the guy at the front. Either way, I'll be there of my own free will, doing something I want to do. That makes a big difference to how you look at the function of education (http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html).

bugsysservant
2007-08-27, 08:33 PM
We are. Now drop dead you smug sociable b@st@rd! :smalltongue: :smallwink:

School? If I ever go back into a classroom again it'll either be to get another degree, or as the guy at the front. Either way, I'll be there of my own free will, doing something I want to do. That makes a big difference to how you look at the function of education (http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html).

Love that article. I feel as though I have gotten off lucky because I am one of the best linemen on our football team, but it rings true nonetheless. I was tempted to see if I could find the article and start a thread around it, but I never had the motivation.

Lemur
2007-08-27, 08:41 PM
Well, I'm in college (still) so classes starting back up is a good thing. You don't have a choice in public school, but college loses its purpose if you don't actually want to go to class. That's not to say there's never any :P that goes on. Dealing with buereaucracy and whatnot is always a pain and it's not like coursework never gets rough. Still, despite all the trouble I've gone through in the past, I still maintain that college is vastly superior to high school.

girlfriends

Plural? I had no idea Spanish inquisitors were such smooth operators. It's the hats, isn't it? :smallwink:

Rama_Lei
2007-08-27, 08:46 PM
Today was the start of my 3rd week of school. everyone else starts Tuesday of next week. *le fail*

Icewalker
2007-08-27, 08:49 PM
Tomorrow is my last day of summer. Good because I'll see my friends again, and I think I'll like my classes, bad because I'll have less time and I'm getting Metroid Prime Three tomorrow as well...

Overall, out of 5: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Balkash
2007-08-27, 08:57 PM
im starting my second week today. you cant imagine how much i'd love to just flip the page and wow! its the end of the day and classes are over! :smallbiggrin: but sadly... its just not so. :smallfrown:

bugsysservant
2007-08-27, 09:06 PM
im starting my second week today. you cant imagine how much i'd love to just flip the page and wow! its the end of the day and classes are over! :smallbiggrin: but sadly... its just not so. :smallfrown:

Allow me. Later that year... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0155.html)
Damn, once again D&D has let me down. Sigh.

Harold
2007-08-28, 07:51 AM
Well I'm in 6th grade so that may be easyer then what most of you guys are in so I would be :-D.
I come back on the 6th of spet.

Pyro
2007-08-28, 03:47 PM
It's easier, by the way. Sorry, but I'm sorta crazy about spelling. Anyway, you should have as much fun as possible in sixth grade, because the next year is tough.

Oh and school started about 2 weeks ago for me, and in that time I've already has a test, a project and several quizzes.

Drascin
2007-08-28, 03:54 PM

Look at the bright part. You're bound to get an assload of XP out of that! :smallwink:

Emperor Ing
2007-08-28, 04:05 PM
Its all a :frown:

only psycopaths and people with -10 IQs like school (presuming its not one of those awesome schools)

DraPrime
2007-08-28, 04:06 PM
I get 2 days of school and then a 4 day weekend. Whoever planned my schools schedule is an idiot. Our superintendent is renowned for not being able to know when to close the school due to snow. He made us go to school, and halfway through the day there already 3 feet of snow on the ground and it was still coming :smallannoyed:

Ceska
2007-08-28, 04:08 PM
Its all a :frown:

only psycopaths and people with -10 IQs like school (presuming its not one of those awesome schools)
Take it that way, the sooner it starts the sooner it's over.

Em Blackleaf
2007-08-28, 05:55 PM
... (For the record that fish so totally was staring at me)

The fish was staring at you? :smallconfused:

I kinda like school, I missed my friends, and I also like school shopping.
(I like the smell of new school supplies.)

My teachers either love me, or absolutely despise me. :smallconfused:
That's odd. Mostly the first one though, so that's good. :smallsmile:

I never have trouble making friends.
School started a week ago, and I already have ten new friends, plus the ones I had last year and years before! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I would also like to add that I absolutely hate kids that come to school just because they have to. It's like, school's here for a reason! Duh! :smallannoyed:

Iudex Fatarum
2007-08-29, 12:00 AM
So I guess I'm kind of odd, I'm in seminary, just got my BS Math degree last spring so now i'm going to seminary and just started today. my greek prof has told us we have two quizes a week in his class, including thursday this week. I also am working 20 hours a week in addition to class. Oh i hate the stress but the classes i have had are great. so all in all i'd say :smallsmile: and :smallcool:

Bayar
2007-08-29, 06:23 AM
I promised myself i would not say it, but what the hell...
Hahaha! scool will start soon ! Ah, all the children going to school, like they are going to some kind of torture prison...and I dont have to! I finished High school (12 years of my life) and going to College! And I start 1 (ONE) month after :D ...sry if i sounded a wee bit offensive there :)

PlatinumJester
2007-08-29, 06:27 AM
I'm going back to school on Tuesday or Monday I think. It's kinda relieving after 2 months of doing nothing.

Zaggab
2007-08-29, 08:01 AM
I started school a week ago today. I'm in the third (and last) year of the gymnasium school (upper secondary education). I've heard it's the equivalent of year 2 in college.

So far this year seems tough and worse than previous years because
1) My class teacher, who also taught Swedish and English, has moved to Finland. My new class teacher is the worst, and least liked teacher in school. For example, she LOST our grades in a course, and she DROVE over her laptop with her car.
2) We must do a project work this year which is both boring and hard. And I haven't been able to think of anything fun to do.
3) The teachers have messed up our schedule so that a lot of courses run at the same time
4) I have virtually no good teacher from last year
5) The school managment somehow thought it a good idea to add 3 classes to an already crowded school, making it extremely crowded
6) The building is really built as a office building, meaning that the ventilation isn't supposed to handle this many people.

The_Werebear
2007-08-29, 11:40 AM
I started school a week ago today. I'm in the third (and last) year of the gymnasium school (upper secondary education). I've heard it's the equivalent of year 2 in college.

1) My class teacher, who also taught Swedish and English, has moved to Finland. My new class teacher is the worst, and least liked teacher in school. For example, she LOST our grades in a course, and she DROVE over her laptop with her car.
2) We must do a project work this year which is both boring and hard. And I haven't been able to think of anything fun to do.
3) The teachers have messed up our schedule so that a lot of courses run at the same time
5) The school managment somehow thought it a good idea to add 3 classes to an already crowded school, making it extremely crowded
6) The building is really built as a office building, meaning that the ventilation isn't supposed to handle this many people.

Lovely. scrubbing bubbles

Bayar
2007-08-29, 12:59 PM

scrubbing bubbles Or maybe you can just skip classes