PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help Optimizing my Factotum/Warblade/Eternal Blade

Arakune
2018-02-13, 09:15 AM
So I already got this concept I saw from another site.

Basically it's a Factotum 3/Warblade 8/Eternal Blade 9, and while I don't want to cheese him to the gills I do want him to be as strong as possible without using silly methods.

So far this is what I got:

Abilities: 14 13(+2 Elf) 12(-2 Elf) 15 8 10

Feats:

1st: Power Attack
Murky Eyed: Font of Inspiration
Shaky: Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)
3rd: Knowledge Devotion
6th: Font of Inspiration
8th: Ironheart Aura
9th: Stormguard Warrior
12th: Combat Reflexes
15th: Robilar Gambit
18th: Font of Inspiration

I tried to get as many varied skills as possible in order to cover the basics, but what do you recommend me to take, and what to think is a trap?

Certain skills are planned to be maxed due to character concept, such as Concentration, Diplomacy and Sense Motive.

Assuming an Int mod as high as possible, what is the comfortable cut off point for skills that get it as a bonus from Brains Over Brawl?

Darrin
2018-02-13, 10:01 AM
Shaky: Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)

Although technically you're proficient with a bastard sword as a two-handed weapon... wouldn't a greatsword work better here? Or if you're going exotic, maybe an elven courtblade?

I tried to get as many varied skills as possible in order to cover the basics, but what do you recommend me to take, and what to think is a trap?

Well, the temptation with Factotum is to max out Iaijutsu Focus as much as possible, but that's going to suck up resources from other areas to do it well. This doesn't appear to be an Iaijutsu build, though.

Put 5 ranks in Balance. Max out Concentration (for Diamond Mind stuff), Jump (for charging over obstacles/terrain) and Tumble (avoiding AoOs). UMD is always tempting, as it can open up wands/wand chambers, but that's going to soak skill points away from your Knowledge skills. Diplomacy and Sense Motive... I'm tempted to say, "That's not your job", but you said it's part of your character concept. If I'm doing a Knowledge Devotion build, I think I'd rather have those skill points in Knowledge skills. So... put 5 ranks in Diplomacy and 5 ranks in Sense Motive for the synergy bonus, and then put the rest of your points into Knowledge stuff.

Assuming an Int mod as high as possible, what is the comfortable cut off point for skills that get it as a bonus from Brains Over Brawl?

Depends on the skill:

Balance (Dex): 5 ranks to avoid being flat-footed.
Climb (Str): Meh. Useless when flying and teleport are available.
Escape Artist (Dex): Meh. Anklets of Translocation are cheap.
Hide (Dex): Useful for sneak-based builds, but how often will you be trying to hide?
Jump (Str): Max.
Move Silently (Dex): As with Hide, how often are you going to be sneaking?
Open Locks (Dex): Use Mountain Hammer instead.
Ride (Dex): At higher levels, horses are fragile and intelligent mounts more common.
Sleight of Hand (Dex): Optimizable but could be problematic.
Tumble (Dex): Max.
Use Rope (Dex): Does not come up often enough to be useful, and difficult to optimize.

Arakune
2018-02-13, 03:37 PM
Turns out that Diplomacy is a class skill for all three classes, while Sense Motive is a class skill for Eternal Blade.

Since by that point I could have maximized my Concentration anything else is gravy. I'm just not sure what the use would be for a max Martial Lore would be. Epic Martial Maneuvers? :smallconfused:

As for the choice in weapon focus, that's basically feat tax to enter Eternal Blade and with Martial Adept it's not like it will be fixed in place.

Thanks for the help though.

Any tips on what kind of maneuvers I should get? Also is it too bad to allow for you to retrain some maneuvers as an Eternal Blade, or is that unnecessary?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-02-13, 11:34 PM
Needs moar Able Learner.

Arakune
2018-02-14, 09:49 AM
He can't because he's an Elf in order to qualify for Eternal Blade.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-02-14, 11:49 AM
He can't because he's an Elf in order to qualify for Eternal Blade.Half-elves (blurghl) count as both human and elf, I do believe.