PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Which race would be the most annoying?

SangoProduction
2018-02-13, 09:34 AM
I had the concept of a character in the tank role who wears nothing but a loin cloth, or maybe mage's robes (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/equipment-sphere#toc30), and whose primary means of getting people to target him is a myriad of insults (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2fa3as/insults_for_vicious_mockery/). (Also known as Guardian's Challenge (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/guardian), from Spheres of Might.) You know, a comedic relief, who just has dck waving competitions during a fight, annoying the enemy to no end, while hopefully making his allies such an unappealing target to...target, by means of buffs/debuffs for not targeting him.

Problem is, I am having trouble visualizing a good race for this character. Yes, Half-Orcs (particularly barbarians) are often depicted as running in to battle with just a loin cloth, but seem to be a typically serious race. Gnomes and Halflings were my first consideration, since everyone loves to punt gnomes, and being insulted by someone half your size has got to get annoying. Humans are bland and uninteresting, but have the most powerful racial - a bonus feat. (Half-) Elves come off as the pansy races, so could probably be quite annoying.

What are your thoughts?

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-02-13, 09:37 AM
Something with a dex bonus to AC, or maybe a con bonus to HP.

Psyren
2018-02-13, 10:18 AM
Kender, of course. (If first-party only, simply RP your halfling as one.)

Red Fel
2018-02-13, 10:50 AM
From an optimization standpoint, Strongtail Merfolk. They get +2 to Dex, Con, and Cha - all stats valuable to an unarmored snarker. Bonus, you can mock ruthlessly from the water, and a lot of enemies won't be able to get to you.

Frankly, the best mockers are the ones you can't get to. Merfolk are great for that. Vanara, being natural climbers, are also a good choice (although I don't know if that -2 Cha bothers you).

Tengu have the racial feat Lovable Scoundrel (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/lovable-scoundrel/), which translates to "Come on, guys, I was just joking around." While it doesn't apply directly to the Guardian Challenge, it fits the concept - when he goes too far, he hides behind "just joshing." The +2 Dex is also great, although that -2 Con might hurt.

Lapak
2018-02-13, 11:07 AM
As soon as I hit the pathfinder SRD and saw that Kitsune were an option (with +2 DEX and CHA, no less) I wondered how you could make another choice for ‘annoying, uncatchable trickster-fainter.’

redwizard007
2018-02-13, 11:52 AM

If I remember correctly, kender actually had "sh*t talking" as a racial trait.

Geddy2112
2018-02-13, 12:21 PM
At my table, Catfolk take the cake for most annoying. They are basically banned.

Not that catfolk have toxic or annoying canon. A couple players(no longer in my group for this crap) simply decided that all catfolk were antisocial secretive murderhobos. One executed people for simply being human, and antagonized other party members who did not agree that it was okay to kill humans on sight.Another decided that they could not trust anyone, to the point they horded key plot information and let the party stumble into a myriad of ambushes and traps, which they proceeded to do nothing about.

stack
2018-02-13, 12:32 PM
Also look at gladiator sphere for boasts, maybe warleader for shouts. Its an idea I had during development, a 'trash-talker' build.

Gnomes get my vote.

SangoProduction
2018-02-13, 03:05 PM
From an optimization standpoint, Strongtail Merfolk. They get +2 to Dex, Con, and Cha - all stats valuable to an unarmored snarker. Bonus, you can mock ruthlessly from the water, and a lot of enemies won't be able to get to you.

Frankly, the best mockers are the ones you can't get to. Merfolk are great for that. Vanara, being natural climbers, are also a good choice (although I don't know if that -2 Cha bothers you).

Tengu have the racial feat Lovable Scoundrel (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/lovable-scoundrel/), which translates to "Come on, guys, I was just joking around." While it doesn't apply directly to the Guardian Challenge, it fits the concept - when he goes too far, he hides behind "just joshing." The +2 Dex is also great, although that -2 Con might hurt.

I actually really rather like the Tengu Lovable Scoundrel suggestion. Like...yeah. I think I'm sold.

On the topic of Con, Guardian sphere grants 3xBAB in delayed damage pool, Sentinel provides d12 base HP, and 2xBAB+Wis as temp HP as a swift action, and Berserker gives BAB+3 temporary hit points as a swift action. I don't think a small penalty to Con will matter too much.

Red Fel
2018-02-13, 03:18 PM
I actually really rather like the Tengu Lovable Scoundrel suggestion. Like...yeah. I think I'm sold.

On the topic of Con, Guardian sphere grants 3xBAB in delayed damage pool, Sentinel provides d12 base HP, and 2xBAB+Wis as temp HP as a swift action, and Berserker gives BAB+3 temporary hit points as a swift action. I don't think a small penalty to Con will matter too much.

On a related note, Tengu are really, really good with languages (Gifted Linguist trait), so insulting someone in their native tongue (or any language but that) - is totally a thing.

grarrrg
2018-02-13, 04:19 PM

Eh, Merfolk kinda defeats the whole "loincloth" vibe though.

ngilop
2018-02-13, 04:19 PM
First of I need to apologize to the OP an any other posters. I just read the first paragraph in the first post, SO I somebody brought this up already, sorry.

HALFLING most definitely, the class does not really matte at all, but there is something about something that is like 3 feet or under talking tough to somebody that is beyond annoying and lead to eventually making one 'snap'

too bad PF does not have Kender though. that is literally their thing.

Calthropstu
2018-02-13, 08:21 PM
Anyone not saying Kender has never played with one in the party, clearly.

Any race with a severe detriment to the party for just being around. Drow can be a serioys headache for example.

vasilidor
2018-02-13, 08:43 PM
OK, the guy with the cat folk problem has problem players, and for the kender comments, I have actually seen kender being played non-clepto-psycho. to be honest this was back in first edition, before the changes made to them in third. Annoying race, in my experience, is not really a thing. annoying players and jerks however...

Red Fel
2018-02-13, 08:49 PM
too bad PF does not have Kender though. that is literally their thing.

I think this is the first time I've heard anyone lamenting the absence of Kender.

Just... wow. This moment.

vasilidor
2018-02-13, 09:35 PM
I think this is the first time I've heard anyone lamenting the absence of Kender.

funniest thing I heard all day.

Long_shanks
2018-02-13, 09:42 PM

Note that you can get Lovable scoundrel on a human (or half-elf or half-orc for that matter) with the racial heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/racial-heritage/) feat.

Palanan
2018-02-13, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by SangoProduction
I actually really rather like the Tengu Lovable Scoundrel suggestion.

I love the fact that you can try to pass off an attempt at larceny as "an awkward tengu tradition."

"Actually, among my people this is considered a polite and respectful greeting." :smalltongue:

Zanos
2018-02-14, 12:50 AM

The worst thing about no Kender is that there's no Kender to kill.

grarrrg
2018-02-14, 12:52 AM
I love the fact that you can try to pass off an attempt at larceny as "an awkward tengu tradition."

"Actually, among my people this is considered a polite and respectful greeting." :smalltongue:

"What? You humans don't shove your hands into the pockets of new friends in a gesture of togetherness?"

RFLS
2018-02-14, 01:04 AM

Anyone not saying Kender has never played with one in the party, clearly.

Any race with a severe detriment to the party for just being around. Drow can be a serioys headache for example.

This was my first thought when I read the title, too. I'm just so happy I've never been at a table with one.

Bohandas
2018-02-14, 04:38 PM
If I remember correctly, kender actually had "sh*t talking" as a racial trait.

Indeed they do

PaladinX
2018-02-14, 07:44 PM
Gnome would be great as well!

Eldonauran
2018-02-15, 01:21 AM
Definitely a gnome with Bewildering Koan (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/bewildering-koan-general/)

denthor
2018-02-15, 11:08 AM
I like to play 1/2 orc mage I am told that is annoying and crime in D&D