PDA

View Full Version : Druids and Dwarves, making magical armor

KorvinStarmast
2018-02-13, 10:01 AM
While not desiring to see the flame war return regarding druids wearing armor (or not) made from metal, the Folks at the University of Maryland are doing some interesting stuff in terms of treating wood to make it as strong as steel. (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/stronger-than-steel-able-to-stop-a-speeding-bullet-mdash-it-rsquo-s-super-wood/) With this in mind, perhaps some inspiration here for crafting a special armor (magical or otherwise) at some expense that takes advantage of this research and development.

The team’s compressed wood is three times as dense as the untreated substance, Hu says, adding that its resistance to being ripped apart is increased more than 10-fold. It also can become about 50 times more resistant to compression and almost 20 times as stiff. The densified wood is also substantially harder, more scratch-resistant and more impact-resistant. It can be molded into almost any shape. Perhaps most importantly, the densified wood is also moisture-resistant: In lab tests, compressed samples exposed to extreme humidity for more than five days swelled less than 10 percent—and in subsequent tests, Hu says, a simple coat of paint eliminated that swelling entirely.

A five-layer, plywoodlike sandwich of densified wood stopped simulated bullets fired into the material—a result Hu and his colleagues suggest could lead to low-cost armor. The material does not protect quite as well as a Kevlar sheet of the same thickness—but it only costs about 5 percent as much, he notes. I can see a nice breast plate made from such a material fitting the theme ... but at a cost. (Which is right back to the DM and player coming up with a way to make armor to fit that purpose ...)

nickl_2000
2018-02-13, 10:05 AM
There is an option for magical armors that they have a minor property of being made from a strange materials.

Some or the more common natural materials seen in previous additions that a druid could wear
Ironwood
Dragon Scale
Crab Chiton
Umberhulk Shell

Tetrasodium
2018-02-13, 10:33 AM
Ironwood has been a thing since like second or third edition, 5th (maybe 4th) did away with it. not every setting has the same style of druids that would care about it... but pretty cool article that inspired me into goving my players something interesting :D specifically a wooden dhakaani substance that provides resistance to missiles when fashioned into armor :smallbiggrin:

Sigreid
2018-02-13, 12:14 PM
Back in the olden days there were 2 spells, Ironwood and Glasssteel that could get you around the restriction. It appears in 5e these spells were lost, but they're still part of the overall lore.

Likewise, there is Dragon Scale armor, and at least used to be a variety of wood and other materials that could do it. And a couple of the published adventures have armor made from the hard outer shells of some animals.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-13, 12:27 PM
The Black Earth cult in Princes of the Apocalypse has magically shaped armor made of stone. Using this for druids was my first thought when I saw those.