PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic loot ideas for a pathfinder game.

EightBitEngine
2018-02-13, 02:19 PM
I'm looking for magic stuff to put in my dungeons for a pathfinder game.
I don't want to accidentally give my players overpowered stuff but I don't want the loot
to feel like trash ether.

So I guess what I'm looking for is "Useful but low-powered" magic items.

Hit me with your suggestions if you have any.

edathompson2
2018-02-13, 02:26 PM
Depends on the style of game you're running. If it's high skill based, minor items that grant skill bonuses.

Combat based. +1 items. single use items (I.E. potions, etc.)

What kind of game are you running?

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-13, 02:59 PM
It's also going to depend on what level you are currently running. Something overpowered at 1st-5th might be just fine at 6th-10th and under-powered beyond that.

EightBitEngine
2018-02-13, 03:05 PM
Depends on the style of game you're running. If it's high skill based, minor items that grant skill bonuses.

Combat based. +1 items. single use items (I.E. potions, etc.)

What kind of game are you running?

Basically I'm taking the classic approach to game design. Build challenges for the players to try and solve/defeat around the systems in the game and once I've done at lest one for every system then I'm done and I make a campaign around what I have.

What I'm trying to deliver

Combat challenges: one for at lest every class to shine at lest once per dungeon.

Skill challenges: Common skill challenges tied to skills my players have (Both in and out of dungeons)

Narrative Challenges: Puzzles/questions/mysterious that will force the players to consider known facts about the story or world lore to find the answers to

These are the ways I plan to challenge the players through out the game.
As for style I guess I would describe it as the kind of d&d game that the players craft with their actions rather then a railroad style game.

EightBitEngine
2018-02-13, 03:06 PM
It's also going to depend on what level you are currently running. Something overpowered at 1st-5th might be just fine at 6th-10th and under-powered beyond that.

players are currently 2nd level

Malimar
2018-02-13, 03:07 PM
Horn of Chickens: a large spiral goat's horn: if you blow into the horn (as a standard action) a chicken (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/birds/chicken/) appears. If you attempt to abuse it (what constitutes 'abuse' is at DM discretion), some of the chickens that appear may start to be dangerous (Dire Chicken, Chicken of Legend, Kaiju Chicken...).

Elder_Basilisk
2018-02-13, 03:32 PM
magic item compendium for 3.5 had a lot of nice useful low priced items that could easily port to Pathfinder. (I was disappointed that Pathfinder's comparable book did not have anything like the selection of useful, low priced items that the MIC did).

Two of my favorites are the meteoric dagger. It's a +1 dagger with three charges per day. You can spend one to give it returning for one round two to give it flaming and returning for one round or all three at once for it to get flaming, returning, and explode for 4d6 to Target and everyone adjacent for one round. Essentially a +1 dagger, but less boring.

The other favorite is the cape of elemental protection. Once per day immediate action to get resist 10 against any energy type for one round. Not too powerful but a flavorful alternative to a cloak of resistance +1.

EightBitEngine
2018-02-13, 03:56 PM
magic item compendium for 3.5 had a lot of nice useful low priced items that could easily port to Pathfinder. (I was disappointed that Pathfinder's comparable book did not have anything like the selection of useful, low priced items that the MIC did).

Two of my favorites are the meteoric dagger. It's a +1 dagger with three charges per day. You can spend one to give it returning for one round two to give it flaming and returning for one round or all three at once for it to get flaming, returning, and explode for 4d6 to Target and everyone adjacent for one round. Essentially a +1 dagger, but less boring.

The other favorite is the cape of elemental protection. Once per day immediate action to get resist 10 against any energy type for one round. Not too powerful but a flavorful alternative to a cloak of resistance +1.

Cape of elemental protection sounds like a perfect fit for my needs especially sense one of my early game dungeons is full of fire enemies.
I'll add that one to the list.

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-13, 10:08 PM
Immovable Rod has 1001 uses for creative players. Facing escape room type physical puzzles it can often be a key ingredient to an out-of-the box type solution.
Sheath of Bladestealth is a nice option for rogue types to keep a holdout weapon on them. By no means overpowered, but very useful.
Insistent Doorknocker is another great option to hang onto. Need a quick exit without leaving a gaping hole behind? No problem!