PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Smuggler

Naanomi
2018-02-13, 09:02 PM
I have to admit it, I love an underwater character for some reason. I loved Water Gensai, I’m currently playing a Hexblade dedicated to Davy Jones. With MToF on the horizon, Aquatic Elf gives us a DEX based aquatic race, which makes me want to play...

Aquatic Elf/Ranger (Gloomstalker)/Criminal

8/17/16/10/14/8

Perception, Stealth, Survival, Athletics,
Deception, Nature
Common, Elven, Aquan
Thief Tools, Poisoner’s Kit

ASI: Crossbow Master, Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter, +2 Dexterity, Skulker

Favored Enemy: Beast, (Sahuagin, Merfolk), Monstrosity
Natural Explorer: Coast; Underdark; Swamp
Fighting Style: Archery

1) Disguise Self, Hunter’s Mark, Ensnaring Strike, Absorb Elements
2) Rope Trick, Pass Without Trace, Healing Spirit
3) Fear, Conjure Barrage, Nondetection
4) Greater Invisibility, Guardian of Nature, Conjure Woodland Being
5) Seeming, Swift Quiver, Conjure Volley

Characterization: Started as an opportunistic looter of shipwrecks and progressed into a full on criminal and smuggler; using waterways to effortlessly move contraband in both the surface and aquatic world. Taking up ‘treasure hunting’ (adventuring) as a natural progression. A somewhat unscrupulous type, and a little cowardly (she would say ‘cautious’); still has a touch of Hero in her heart, and wouldn’t do anything too horrible in her quest for ‘easy’ wealth

Obviously some details would change to fit the campaign (racial enemy, terrain, spells) but... Thoughts? Improvements?

Chugger
2018-02-13, 11:08 PM
Looks good to me. I'm not an expert on Ranger - maybe someone else can help you w/ that.

Water breathing is ritual castable by druids and wizards, iirc (do rangers get it? I don't have the phb on me right now). So underwater campaigns are very much doable.

Way too few of them.

Anyone remember (speaking of underwater campaigns) an old old ruling that lighting bolts worked like "fireballs" when used underwater? I think this came from a DnD magazine or article before AD&D - and my old DM used it once upon a time. On land lighting was normal (though back then lightning bolts could _bounce_ off walls!) - but underwater it made a crackling lighting sphere instead, w/ fireball radius - and fireball possibly didn't work at all (not how 5e works).

Naanomi
2018-02-14, 12:04 AM
Now we just need a fully aquatic (water breathing and swim speed) race with +INT to have every option open