PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Seven Bandits: Running the Seven Samurai

smasher0404
2018-02-14, 12:01 AM
If you are playing in my campaign titled Land of Stories, keep out!

So, my party have enlisted as mercenaries for a less than scrupulous organization, and a big part of my campaign is that most of the adventures are plots from pop culture with some sort of twist or after the events of the original story (like being hired in place of Vizini, Fezzick and Inigo to kidnap Buttercup, or trying to rescue Alice from Wonderland and having her turn out to be the Queen of Hearts).

As a result of the campaign's premise, I thought trying to run an adventure based off of the Seven Samurai might be a good idea. However, given how the campaign is going, it makes much more sense for the party to be the bandits rather than trying to defend the village. I plan for the party to be reinforced by a largeish group of low level devils (most likely Lemures) just to put some bodies on the field that are simple to run (and kill off) but to also give a larger sense of scale.

I'm currently in the process of stating up the eponymous Samurai, and need ideas for how they would defend such a village from bandits. I plan for the Samurai to be around level 11ish, but the only access to spellcasters I have planned so far is a level 11 Cleric who is one of the Samurai (I'd prefer not to have too many of the defenders being spellcasters, but I can change one of the Samurai into an arcane caster if necessary). The Samurai won't have any idea that the party is coming but rather would be prepared for a frontal assault from low-ish CR devils.

Most of the rest of the Samurai are currently planned to be various Martial builds, making some use of Book of Nine Swords. However, I'm pretty flexible to change their skills or classes if needed.

So I beseech the general knowledge of the forums. What are some ways a mid-level mostly martial party could defend a village from devils?

Malroth
2018-02-14, 12:36 AM
Based on the ones in the movie

1 Bard1/ Marshal 2/ Paladin of Freedom 9 with smite to song and knowledge devotion provides group buffs and tactical support.
1 Ranger6/craigtop archer5. Arrows arrows and more arrows.
1 Crusader 11, focus on white raven tactics
1 Factotum 4 Fighter 2 Iaijutsu master 5. Canny strike, Knowledge devotion and Iaijutsu strike make a very very deadly opponent
1 Cleric 11
1 Paladin of Freedom7 the kid has the spirit but not the traiing
1 Whirling frenzy Lion Spirit Totem barbarian 4 Warblade 7

Ukimoni
2018-02-14, 02:43 PM
Plus make sure they have the right material of weapons for Devils...that way it's a super surprise when some PCs wreck the party too

AnimeTheCat
2018-02-14, 03:53 PM
I was in the process of building a goblin swordsage for a campaign I'm running and I came across Giant Killing Style. It's pretty nice for a small character since most opponents are going to be medium or larger. You practically get a free bonus to hit and damage all the time that can stack with weapon focuses and insightful strikes. Maybe a Halfling version of one of the samurai that focuses on two handing a bastard sword could fit one of the themes.