PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Adaptability, Brute Force, Combat Expert... (10 new feats)

rferries
2018-02-14, 06:53 AM
Adaptability [Racial]
You are a particularly versatile member of your otherwise rigid race.

Prerequisites
Level adjustment +1, must be selected at character creation.

Benefits
Your racial level adjustment is reduced by one (to a minimum of +0).

Brute Force [Fighter]
You rely on strength rather than precision.

Prerequisites
Base attack bonus +1.

Benefits
While wielding a ranged weapon, you may use your Strength modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier on attack rolls.

Special
A fighter may select Brute Force as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Combat Expert [Fighter]
You have mastered a particular combat technique.

Prerequisites
Base attack bonus +1.

Benefits
When you select this feat, choose one of the following special attacks: bull-rush, charge, disarm, feint, grapple, overrun, sunder, or trip. Whenever you make the chosen attack, your base attack bonus increases to equal your character level and you are considered to be one size category larger than your actual size.

Special
A fighter may select Combat Expert as one of his fighter bonus feats.

You may select Combat Expert more than once, each time choosing a different special attack.

Expanded Turning
Your faith is potent against more than just undead.

Prerequisites
Ability to turn or rebuke creatures.

Benefits
You may make turn attempts against all elementals, fey, outsiders, and undead with an alignment removed by more than one step from your deity's alignment (i.e. either two steps removed on the law-chaos or good-evil axis, one step removed on both axes, or some combination of the two).

You may make rebuke attempts against all elementals, fey, outsiders, and undead with an alignment within one step of your deity's alignment (i.e. one step away on either the lawful-chaotic axis or the good-evil axis, but not both).

The effects of this feat supersede any other turn or rebuke attempts to which you are normally entitled.

Special
At the DM's option, this feat may allow you to make turn/rebuke attempts against other creature types, creatures with particular subtypes (e.g. [Extraplanar], [Evil], etc.), and/or creatures with particularly powerful auras (e.g. blackguards, clerics, paladins, etc.).

Luck of the Humans [Racial]
Your outrageous luck often irritates your non-human party members.

Prerequisites
Human, must be selected at character creation.

Benefits
You gain a +1 luck bonus on all saves. Once per day when you fail an attack roll, save, ability check, or skill check, you may reroll and choose the better result.

Martial Monasticism [Fighter]
You are the best brawler at the Monastery.

Prerequisites
Improved Unarmed Strike.

Benefits
While making a unarmed strike (including as part of a full attack or flurry of blows), your base attack bonus increases to equal your character level. Your iterative attacks take a cumulative -5 penalty, as normal.

Special
A fighter may select Martial Monasticism as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Rapid Attack [Fighter]
You are skilled beyond your apparent experience.

Prerequisites
Base attack bonus +6.

Benefits
When you make a full attack, you may substitute your attack bonus (including your base attack bonus, Str or Dex bonus, weapon enhancement bonus, and all other applicable bonuses) for your base attack bonus when determining the number of iterative attacks you are permitted.

Special
A fighter may select Rapid Attack as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Savant
You have trained in many disciplines.

Prerequisites
At least one level in each of two different classes.

Benefits
Use your character level instead of your class level for the following class features: animal companion, bardic knowledge, bardic music, favoured enemy, lay on hands, monk AC bonus, monk flurry of blows, monk unarmed damage, rage, smite evil, sneak attack, special mount, summon familiar, trap sense, turn or rebuke undead, wild empathy, and wild shape.

If a skill is a class skill for any of your classes, it is always treated as a class skill for you (regain 1 skill point for each cross-class skill rank you have purchased in such a skill when you take this feat).

Special
The benefits of Savant do not apply to class features you do not possess. For example, a character must be at least a 1st-level druid or 4th-level ranger to advance his animal companion with this feat.

At the DM's option Savant may apply to other class features (e.g. non-Core classes).

Supernatural Heritage
You have a touch of inhuman blood amongst your ancestors.

Prerequisites
Must be selected at character creation.

Benefits
When you select this feat, choose a creature type (and subtype, as appropriate) from the list below. You gain the associated benefits, and for all effects related to race you are considered to be a creature of that type (and subtype) in addition to your actual type and subtype(s).

Creature Type/Subtype
Benefits

Aberration
Darkvision 60 feet.

Animal
Ignore the level adjustment and racial HD from becoming a lycanthrope.

Construct
+1 bonus on saves against effects that do not also affect objects.

Dragon
+1 natural armour bonus.

Elemental (air)
Gain a +5 bonus on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks.

Elemental (earth)
Damage reduction 1/-.

Elemental (fire)
Fire resistance 5.

Elemental (water)
Can breathe underwater.

Fey
Damage reduction 1/cold iron.

Giant
You may forfeit your other 1st-level feat to gain the Powerful Build special quality.

Magical Beast
Scent.

Monstrous Humanoid
+1 bonus on Fortitude and Reflex saves.

Ooze
25% chance to ignore critical hits (stacking with the fortification armour quality).

Outsider (chaotic)
Constant, inherent protection from law.

Outsider (evil)
Constant, inherent protection from good.

Outsider (good)
Constant, inherent protection from evil.

Outsider (lawful)
Constant, inherent protection from chaos.

Plant
Do not need to eat or sleep while exposed to at least 8 hours of sunlight per day.

Undead
Negative energy resistance 5, +2 bonus on saves to remove negative levels.

Vermin
+2 bonus on saves against disease and poison.

Special
At the DM's option, instead of granting the above benefits Supernatural Heritage may grant you the racial ability adjustments of a Planetouched race of your choice (e.g. +2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom for an Aasimar).

Weather Wizardry
You have mastered the magic of the elements.

Prerequisites
Knowledge (nature) 9 ranks, Spellcraft 9 ranks, wizard level 6th.

Benefits
You may spontaneously cast any spell with the [Air], [Cold], [Electricity], or [Water] descriptors or any spell that manipulates the weather (e.g. control weather) as a good cleric spontaneously casts cure spells, provided that you have that spell in your spellbook.

Special
At the DM's option this feat may only allow you to spontaneously cast spells with one particular descriptor, and/or may allow you to cast spells with other descriptors (e.g. [Fire], [Death], [Light], etc.).

rferries
2018-02-14, 06:56 AM
Power level for these is probably all over the map; one aim I had in mind was to buff noncasters more than casters. Adaptability is probably ripe for abuse (prereqs could be bumped up to 6th level or higher, similar to buyoff). Supernatural Heritage was unfocused too, I was just churning out a lot of benefits without regard to actual utility or potential brokenness.

khadgar567
2018-02-14, 08:12 AM
when you say adaptability to weather wizard people ofthen think you build couple of spells few feats maybe some wondrous items instead of here is couple of feats to adress mistakes of system.

rferries
2018-02-14, 08:01 PM
when you say adaptability to weather wizard people ofthen think you build couple of spells few feats maybe some wondrous items instead of here is couple of feats to adress mistakes of system.

Righto, I've renamed the thread. And yep, a bunch of these might even work better as houserules but if you have to pay a feat tax for them it might be easier to persuade a DM, depending.

Goaty14
2018-02-19, 01:13 PM
Adaptability depends on whether or not buyoff and retraining is allowed. If both are then it's good to take early and retrain later (possibly allowing LA +5 characters to drain their LA with feats, buyoff some of it, and then retrain adaptability to get a lower LA to buyoff again). If buyoff but no retraining, then it's one of those low-level feats that are pretty meh. If retraining and no buyoff, then it's weak, and same for neither.

Brute force is... uh... Weird. I honestly don't have too much of an opinion on against it except that STR is easier to pump than DEX, but ranged is already pretty lacking...

Combat Expert ages with time, and is only worth looking at for grapple or trip. But it's really good for those who do want to use it.

Expanded Turning weirdly grants both turn AND rebuke. Might want to add an "if channeling positive/negative" or "this feat can be taken again, applying to the option not taken before". Stupidly good for Clericzillas, as it gives them another turning pool, and with really optimized tables, might give another pool for each creature type. (Also completely invalidates the point of the elemental domains, leaving just a few still unaffected by the feat. I.e scalykind).

Luck of the Humans. At first I'm confused why you're giving halfling bonuses to humans, but strongheart halflings exist so... 'meh'.

Monatistic Mona-----: Cool! Gives full BaB without giving them full BaB for feats. Except it might be too drastic of a change for some tables. I.e the 9th level monk just went from +5/+5/+0 to +9/+9/+9! Also has weird prerequisites how a fighter has to dip monk to get it as a bonus feat, and no love for unarmed swordsages...

Rapid Attack: HOLY @!R!!*T#&!*&#%&^&#*()!!!! At first I read it and was like "It does nothing, it substitutes his BaB for his character level, which changes nothing". But dang!!! It needs an upper limit, something like ECL + 5.

Savant: Completely invalidates Able Learner, and definitely better. Do you need to have the class feature in order to select it?

Supernatural Heritage: Does it have to be human? I mean, other races breed with other ra- I don't want to talk about it, but stuff happens, you know. Shouldn't change type (remember how kobolds are broken for getting the dragon type??? This feat does that for any type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#aberrationType)!). Subtype is equally screwing with balance (fun fact: the fire subtype makes you immune to fire and vulnerable to cold, which overlaps the fire elemental's actual benefit).

jqavins
2018-02-19, 03:43 PM
Expanded Turning
Your faith is potent against more than just undead.

Prerequisites
Ability to turn or rebuke creatures.

Benefits
You may make turn attempts against all elementals, fey, outsiders, and undead with an alignment more than one step removed from your deity on both axes.
Did you mean "one step or more"? As written it only works for LE ↔ CG and LG ↔ CE.

Supernatural Heritage
You have a touch of inhuman blood amongst your ancestors.

Prerequisites
Human, must be selected at character creation.

Benefits
When you select this feat, choose a creature type (and subtype, as appropriate) from the list below. You gain the associated benefits, and are treated as a creature of that type (and subtype) in addition to your actual type and subtype(s).

Creature Type/Subtype

Benefits

Aberration

Darkvision 60 feet.

Animal

Ignore the level adjustment and racial HD from becoming a lycanthrope.

Construct

+1 bonus on saves against effects that do not also affect objects.

Dragon

+1 natural armour bonus.

Elemental (air)

Gain a +5 bonus on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks.

Elemental (earth)

Damage reduction 1/-.

Elemental (fire)

Fire resistance 5.

Elemental (water)

Can breathe underwater.

Fey

Damage reduction 1/cold iron.

Giant

You may forfeit your other 1st-level feat to gain the Powerful Build special quality.

Magical Beast

Scent.

Monstrous Humanoid

+1 bonus on Fortitude and Reflex saves.

Ooze

25% chance to ignore critical hits (stacking with the fortification armour quality).

Outsider (chaotic)

Constant, inherent protection from law.

Outsider (evil)

Constant, inherent protection from good.

Outsider (good)

Constant, inherent protection from evil.

Outsider (lawful)

Constant, inherent protection from chaos.

Plant

Do not need to eat or sleep while exposed to at least 8 hours of sunlight per day.

Undead

Negative energy resistance 5, +2 bonus on saves to remove negative levels.

Vermin

+2 bonus on saves against disease and poison.

How the heck do you end up with "a touch of [construct, ooze, plant, or undead] blood"? That is, how did one of your ancestors mate with an ooze?

rferries
2018-02-19, 09:43 PM
Thank you both for the insights!

Adaptability depends on whether or not buyoff and retraining is allowed. If both are then it's good to take early and retrain later (possibly allowing LA +5 characters to drain their LA with feats, buyoff some of it, and then retrain adaptability to get a lower LA to buyoff again). If buyoff but no retraining, then it's one of those low-level feats that are pretty meh. If retraining and no buyoff, then it's weak, and same for neither.

Brute force is... uh... Weird. I honestly don't have too much of an opinion on against it except that STR is easier to pump than DEX, but ranged is already pretty lacking...

Combat Expert ages with time, and is only worth looking at for grapple or trip. But it's really good for those who do want to use it.

Expanded Turning weirdly grants both turn AND rebuke. Might want to add an "if channeling positive/negative" or "this feat can be taken again, applying to the option not taken before". Stupidly good for Clericzillas, as it gives them another turning pool, and with really optimized tables, might give another pool for each creature type. (Also completely invalidates the point of the elemental domains, leaving just a few still unaffected by the feat. I.e scalykind).

Luck of the Humans. At first I'm confused why you're giving halfling bonuses to humans, but strongheart halflings exist so... 'meh'.

Monatistic Mona-----: Cool! Gives full BaB without giving them full BaB for feats. Except it might be too drastic of a change for some tables. I.e the 9th level monk just went from +5/+5/+0 to +9/+9/+9! Also has weird prerequisites how a fighter has to dip monk to get it as a bonus feat, and no love for unarmed swordsages...

Rapid Attack: HOLY @!R!!*T#&!*&#%&^&#*()!!!! At first I read it and was like "It does nothing, it substitutes his BaB for his character level, which changes nothing". But dang!!! It needs an upper limit, something like ECL + 5.

Savant: Completely invalidates Able Learner, and definitely better. Do you need to have the class feature in order to select it?

Supernatural Heritage: Does it have to be human? I mean, other races breed with other ra- I don't want to talk about it, but stuff happens, you know. Shouldn't change type (remember how kobolds are broken for getting the dragon type??? This feat does that for any type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#aberrationType)!). Subtype is equally screwing with balance (fun fact: the fire subtype makes you immune to fire and vulnerable to cold, which overlaps the fire elemental's actual benefit).

Adaptability - good point about feat retraining, I had only considered LA buyoff.

Brute Force - yeah, I was just aiming for an inverse Weapon Finesse, couldn't think of a logical justification for it haha.

Expanded Turning was definitely meant to give both turning and rebuking - evil clerics can now turn good outsiders and rebuke evil fey, for example. Alignment should be more important than creature type - it never sat well with me that a good-aligned undead would be turned/destroyed by a good cleric. It sort of gives a lateral benefit to the elemental domains, depending on the alignment of the cleric and elemental in question (though I agree it's very broad), however I've added a clause that it now supersedes the normal domain effects (so might not be worth taking). Also I made a grammatical error as pointed out below, so with the correction it will now usually be a turn attempt rather than a rebuke.

Martial Monasticism - I think I might have worded it poorly; you use your full BAB but are still penalised for iterative attacks. So a 9th-level monk would get +9/+9/+4. I've switched the prereq to Improved Unarmed Strike, you're right that it shouldn't be monk-only.

Rapid Attack - Indeed, really boosts martials. "Attack roll" is probably a clumsy metric - especially if you roll a 20 or something; I've switched it to a bonus that included everything except the actual die roll.

Savant - I probably should have left the skill point thing out to preserve Able Learner, but at that point I was like "why not throw it in too, I've already obliterated Natural Bond" haha. Added a clause specifying you need the class features to benefit though, thanks.

Supernatural Heritage - I wanted it restricted for flavour reasons, but FINE we can have elf subspecies #90902899. Good catch about Fire etc. type - I was thinking more about the Orc Blood etc qualities so I've rephrased it. I suppose it still allows Dragon abuse but at least you're investing a feat?

Did you mean "one step or more"? As written it only works for LE ↔ CG and LG ↔ CE.

Indeed I did! Thanks, corrected now.

How the heck do you end up with "a touch of [construct, ooze, plant, or undead] blood"? That is, how did one of your ancestors mate with an ooze?

Well, you see, when a mummy paladin and a daddy black pudding love each other very much...

Or, the same wizard that made owlbears decided to look into magicking humans.

Or, the gods got drunk (again).

Thanks again, guys!