PDA

View Full Version : Making a short campaign based in Ravnica, help please!

the_brazenburn
2018-02-14, 10:04 AM
I'm planning to run a campaign based in Ravnica, in which the players will choose a guild to be affiliated with, then go on a mission through the Dragon's Maze to infiltrate an opposing guild's base and assassinate their guildmaster. I'm estimating a Gruul, a Selesnya, a Golgari, and two Simics, so I've planned for their enemy to be the Izzet guild.

My favorite thing I've done so far is to scrap random encounter tables altogether. Instead, I'll draw a card from one of my old Return to Ravnica decks and make that the encounter.

Does anybody have suggestions for how to run something like this?

Zanthy1
2018-02-14, 10:09 AM
It does sound like you have a pretty solid foundation for a campaign, and I really like the idea of using your old deck as an encounter table. However, aside from fluffing that they're residents of Ravnica, what about using an altered race or some abilities for guilds based off of the cards? Just to make it feel more like being in the city?

the_brazenburn
2018-02-14, 10:14 AM
It does sound like you have a pretty solid foundation for a campaign, and I really like the idea of using your old deck as an encounter table. However, aside from fluffing that they're residents of Ravnica, what about using an altered race or some abilities for guilds based off of the cards? Just to make it feel more like being in the city?

I have done that. I wrote a thread on Ravnica Planeshift (which is sadly dead now).

Vogie
2018-02-14, 10:29 AM
I would pick out the Boss, then shuffle up other creatures for mobs. Have a conception of what the toughness to HP, Mana Cost to AC ratios are, what the various Bite/claw/strike/blast damage, then take cues from the card art on what type of attacks and how many attacks they'd get. These will be more based on the level of the group than anything else.

I would suggest Ral Zarek or Melek, Izzet Paragon as a boss other than Niv-Mizzet, and have them flanked by a pair of Nivix Cyclopes.

Mix up some flavorful spells for legendary actions for the BBEG. The Benefit of Melek as a BBEG at the end is it makes them really disgusting. Ral Zarek, on the other hand, has very straightforward core of abilities.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-14, 10:35 AM
I would pick out the Boss, then shuffle up other creatures for mobs. Have a conception of what the toughness to HP, Mana Cost to AC ratios are, what the various Bite/claw/strike/blast damage, then take cues from the card art on what type of attacks and how many attacks they'd get. These will be more based on the level of the group than anything else.

I would suggest Ral Zarek or Melek, Izzet Paragon as a boss other than Niv-Mizzet, and have them flanked by a pair of Nivix Cyclopes.

Mix up some flavorful spells for legendary actions for the BBEG. The Benefit of Melek as a BBEG at the end is it makes them really disgusting. Ral Zarek, on the other hand, has very straightforward core of abilities.

I had planned on using Niv-Mizzet as a boss, and possibly having Ral Zarek hanging out in the Dragon's Maze somewhere. The campaign will be reasonably high level, so they can tangle with a few high-level enemies over the course of the adventure.

Vogie
2018-02-14, 11:17 AM
I had planned on using Niv-Mizzet as a boss, and possibly having Ral Zarek hanging out in the Dragon's Maze somewhere. The campaign will be reasonably high level, so they can tangle with a few high-level enemies over the course of the adventure.

Yeah, I had gotten that - I'm just worried about having a brand new campaign and the final boss be... another Dragon. Bit on the Nose. Especially if you want to start spinning off things, having a Weird (something unique to Ravnica) or having a planeswalker (Unique to the MTG multiverse as a whole) be the boss is gold...

Besides, wasn't the whole point of Dragon's Maze was that Niv-Mizzet announced the discovery of the Maze that Azor created... he wasn't actually the bad guy in any of it.

Zanthy1
2018-02-14, 12:47 PM
I have done that. I wrote a thread on Ravnica Planeshift (which is sadly dead now).

I would love to have read it if you ever found it again, I am a huge fan of the Ravnica sets, as well as Mirrodin and Dominaria.

the_brazenburn
2018-02-28, 01:44 PM
I would love to have read it if you ever found it again, I am a huge fan of the Ravnica sets, as well as Mirrodin and Dominaria.

I found it again! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?549620-Planeshift-Ravnica-Homebrew&highlight=ravnica

At any rate, I've had to shift my original strategy. Although my original plan was to tackle Izzet, I've decided on Dimir as the enemy, with Lazav as a BBEG. Not sure how this will affect the storyline...