PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Adding spells to spell lists or making a spell a ritual so it can be added by feat

Talionis
2018-02-14, 10:41 AM
I have a player that really wants to work towards getting the clone spell. Mostly for Role Play because he wants a character that's end goal is to be able to live forever young.

That puts some real limitations on classes that can access it. Wizard 15, Bard 18, Arcane Cleric 18, Sorcerer 17 (wish)

The player says that he wouldn't trust anyone else to cast clone for him and that its his goal. The character really likes Warlock and Rogue and Monk. I get the feeling he'd rather play a half caster with some multiclassing.

How would you handle this type of situation?

Would you allow Warlock to add it to its spell list?
Would you allow the Clone spell to be a ritual so that it could be added with the Ritual Caster Feat?
Would you grant some magical object that allows for the spell, like a Tome that teaches you to build the lab to generate clones?

What are my options, and what advice would you give. I don't inherently have a problem with the idea since once they hit level 15 characters theoretically have access to the spell and it doesn't affect game play that much.

Is there some in game things I've missed that would make it legal?

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-14, 10:51 AM
I would probably give him an item towards the end of the campaign that allowed him to cast Wish. If he asks to be "young forever", then I would give him the knowledge of how to cast Clone as a ritual spell as the result.

That's how I'd do it.

Talionis
2018-02-14, 02:52 PM
I would probably give him an item towards the end of the campaign that allowed him to cast Wish. If he asks to be "young forever", then I would give him the knowledge of how to cast Clone as a ritual spell as the result.

That's how I'd do it.
I like that. Its pretty simple and won't break a campaign.

Afrodactyl
2018-02-14, 05:00 PM
Or have a powerful NPC offer the players "their greatest desire" and have a campaign arc of doing favours and collecting macguffins in order to fulfill their side of the deal.

MxKit
2018-02-15, 01:13 AM
If he's not absolutely married to the idea of getting the "live forever young" thing through the clone spell, I don't think it would be breaking much of anything to just let him play a Monk and change their 15th level Timeless Body feature so that the character can no longer die of old age. If he wants to multiclass into a caster, he could get some use out of Cleric or Druid levels, or even Ranger.

Alternately, I've always thought the Undying Warlock Patron was great for this sort of thing. Their Undying Nature thing comes in at 10th level, and you could always just change it so that, again, the character just stops ageing and can't die instead of ageing 1 year every 10 years. If you don't want him to get that ability at 10th, though, you could always just give him the basic Undying Nature feature at 10th and give him the better version of it at a later level, like how Unarmored Movement upgrades at 9th level.

Coffee_Dragon
2018-02-15, 01:20 AM
Gradually introduce, through tomes and sages, hints of the existence, location and operation of an arcane laboratory in a secret mountain base called Sleeper One. Once you get inside you may have to replace a faulty plasma coupler and pass an Intelligence (Electronics) check, but after that if you can handle jugs and clone fluid you're set.

MrStabby
2018-02-15, 12:37 PM
First step is probably to identify exactly what they want to play, then work around that. If you say you will find a way for them to RP that desire for any character then they can focus on the mechanics they want.

Monastery that teaches ways to not die of old age - find it and study (add clone as a downtime ability).

Rogue can steal the secret of eternal youth from the gods.

Warlock can barter with a patron for it.

Whatever you decide you can make it a cool plot hook.