PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How far should an extra spell list go?

Jam_Slatewhich
2018-02-14, 11:31 AM
So, i have decided to give sorcerers an extra spell list. Currently, it only goes to 5th level spells, but considering how many spells they get, should i go further? Currently its just 2 spells per level, but maybe as it gets higher it goes too 1? Just need some feedback for this.

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-14, 11:34 AM
Well, what exactly is your end goal here? Is it just to give Sorcs more spells overall, or is it to give each Origin a certain subset of spells that it can use?

Most other classes that get bonus spells only go up to 5th level, so that seems like a perfectly normal cutoff point for balance purposes. However, Divine Soul Sorcs get to take spells from the entirety of the Cleric Spell list, so that is another potential option.

But without knowing what you goal is here, I don't know how much help that we can be.

Jam_Slatewhich
2018-02-14, 12:40 PM
Well, what exactly is your end goal here? Is it just to give Sorcs more spells overall, or is it to give each Origin a certain subset of spells that it can use?

Im mostly working on dragon sorcerers right now, and im trying to give them some extra elements. For example, why cant a blue dragon sorcerer call lightning? im just trying to give them a bit more reprosentation that their elements are part of them. Im trying to avoid just reskining current spells.

Feuerphoenix
2018-02-14, 01:57 PM
I may be wrong, but somewhere I read not to give additional spells to sorcerer

Jam_Slatewhich
2018-02-14, 02:01 PM
I may be wrong, but somewhere I read not to give additional spells to sorcerer

Why wouldn't you? I'm sorry, but there isn't really much point in saying this if you dont add anything. Tell me why i wouldn't, because what i have seen, the sorcerers need more spells.

Kane0
2018-02-14, 03:27 PM
Two at each spell level from 1st to 5th is pretty standard. Cleric, Paladin, Warlock (except not free), Druid (except 1st).
If you aren't sure then better to err on the side of caution and give choice of one out of two options at each spell level. That's what I do with warlocks and their bonus lists.

Edit: Or overhaul the lot! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?537049-Sorcerer-Rework) If you're into that sort of thing.