PDA

View Full Version : Dread Witch + Disguise self = minor frightful presence?

Hiro Quester
2018-02-14, 11:52 AM
I'm building a creepy fear-based gnome bard. PrC into Dread Witch.

I just noticed the awesome power of the dread witch's Fearful Empowerment class ability. It's basically Fell Frighten on every spell you cast with a visual component (esp. illusions).

Starting at 3rd level, once per day you can add the fear descriptor to any spell you cast that has some sort of visual manifestation. For example, you could apply it to a fireball, to a summon monster spell, or to any visual illusion, but not to charm person, since that spell does not directly create any visual effect. Creatures targeted by a spell modified by fearful empowerment must make a Will save (DC equal to 10 + your class level + your Cha modifier) or become shaken for 1d4 rounds; this is in addition to any other effects the spell might have.

If you used this ability to give a fearful empowerment to Disguise Self, would you just radiate an aura of fear to everyone you interact with, for the entire duration (10 min/level)?

Disguise self makes everyone you interact with pass a will save to recognize it as an illusion. So they are "targeted" by disguise self, right? So they would also have to save vs. fear or be shaken.

So it's like frightful presence, but you don't have to charge or attack.

It only makes them shaken. But for a fear-based bard, why would you not have a fearful disguise self active all the time?

That makes your intimidate check have the potential to make someone frightened, not just shaken.

And a cause fear spell on someone you interacted with (who failed their save) would take them immediately to panicked.

Am I reading this right?

Deadline
2018-02-14, 12:00 PM
Disguise self makes everyone you interact with pass a will save to recognize it as an illusion. So they are "targeted" by disguise self, right? So they would also have to save vs. fear or be shaken.

Target has a specific meaning when referring to spells. What is the target of Disguise Self?

That being said, the description of the ability uses Fireball as an example, and that spell doesn't target a creature either, so by that reading, I could totally see it working.

Hiro Quester
2018-02-14, 12:06 PM
Yeah. It's the fireball example that makes me read "targeted" as "needing to save against".

But Summon Monster makes it even more broad than that, perhaps, to anyone affected by your spell, even if they don't get a save.

So if that's true, then you could also use Frightful Empowerment on Alter Self.

Fouredged Sword
2018-02-14, 12:10 PM
Summon monster makes the summon save vs fear?

Hiro Quester
2018-02-14, 12:55 PM
I think it's intended to make those attacked by the summoned creature save vs. fear.

Fouredged Sword
2018-02-14, 03:49 PM
Yes, but the creatures summoned are the targets of the spell.

WoTC needed to actually read and review their work for consistant language. They never did.