PDA

View Full Version : Idea for DMs to help less outgoing players have more in-game socializations...

samcifer
2018-02-14, 01:06 PM
There are players like myself who often have a hard time taking part in social encounters in-game when playing with more outgoing players who tend to dominate social encounters - players who always jump ahead of the other party members and begin speaking to npc characters before anyone else gets a chance to speak. What if the DM helps those players have more interaction by having the DM flip a coin or roll a die to see if the npc 'likes' that player well enough to speak to them or be cold towards that player's character and decide to speak to a different pc instead? This would help quieter/more timid/less outgoing players get more involved in social encounters and prevent them from being overshadowed by players with more dominating personalities?

Just a thought...

ErHo
2018-02-14, 01:10 PM
If a player needs help leaving thier shell, no need to roll.

If anything use their CHA stat.

I'd say frame an encounter based on the class or background to give them an automatic relation to the scene.

Thief for example; Run a game or conversation where he needs to use bluff or throw a bet.

Consensus
2018-02-14, 01:17 PM
It seems very artificial to have npc's just not talk to a pc speaking to them because they don't like them, and that this happens a lot. It'll be especially weird when the character has high CHA. You should also keep in mind some players just don't find it fun to interact with npcs and are just fine leaving it to the more roleplay focused players

samcifer
2018-02-14, 01:21 PM
It seems very artificial to have npc's just not talk to a pc speaking to them because they don't like them, and that this happens a lot. It'll be especially weird when the character has high CHA. You should also keep in mind some players just don't find it fun to interact with npcs and are just fine leaving it to the more roleplay focused players

In my case, the player is playing an Artificer but has a Mask of Deception he can use to have advantage on deception rolls, but he always seems to start talking to an npc the second the dm finishes introducing them, and all the rest of the players end up standing idle as the player dominates the interaction with the npc. The dm doesn't really do anything to stop him, either, which doesn't help. The situation just made me think of ways the dm can prevent a player from always dominating social encounters and leaving the other players mostly out of those encounters.

But yes, some players don't care for being involved in social encounters, but for those who do and always end up overshadowed by other players, I thought of this as an option to aid such players.

Consensus
2018-02-14, 01:24 PM
Ah, that makes sense. Like usual in many situations like this, if you havent already, talk to the player and dm about it rather than propose rule changes

PhoenixPhyre
2018-02-14, 01:25 PM
In my case, the player is playing an Artificer but has a Mask of Deception he can use to have advantage on deception rolls, but he always seems to start talking to an npc the second the dm finishes introducing them, and all the rest of the players end up standing idle as the player dominates the interaction with the npc. The dm doesn't really do anything to stop him, either, which doesn't help. The situation just made me think of ways the dm can prevent a player from always dominating social encounters and leaving the other players mostly out of those encounters.

But yes, some players don't care for being involved in social encounters, but for those who do and always end up overshadowed by other players, I thought of this as an option to aid such players.

That's a DM failure. Nothing happens in universe until the DM allows it to happen. Even if the player jumps in, the DM should simply just stop them and say "the NPC is talking to <bob>, not you right now" or something similar. It's exactly the same as classroom management--sometimes you have to call on people directly and ignore the ones who break in. And talk to them OOC and tell them (the overzealous ones) that they're being unfair and stomping on other people's fun. If they won't change, then, well....

Emay Ecks
2018-02-14, 01:30 PM
Here's some techniques I've used (with mixed, but overall positive results):

-Ask all players to include each other and bounce ideas off of one another when talking with NPCs. Something about talking with a friend is easier than talking to a "stranger" is for some players.

-Encourage party members to split up in towns and do their own things. I can quickly handle each party member's "adventure" and since there are no socially domineering players around them, the quiet party member does and engages to the degree they want and are comfortable with.

-Talk to the player out of game and see what would make them more comfortable (if anything). Some players are shy in real life and want to be shy in game, and I'm not going to try to force them out of their comfort zone during what is supposed to be a fun time for all. However, sometimes a player will tell me something like "I really don't like talking in the high pressure situations where I'm worried something I say will harm the party" and I'll throw in more consequence-free fun conversations. Another time a player told me that they didn't like that I used their exact words against them in a conversation, so I started asking them just to give me the gist of what they are trying to convey.

As far as your suggestion goes, if it works for you I'm not going to knock it, but I don't like NPCs being controlled by randomness. I'm more than happy to include a racist npc, a npc who doesn't trust magic users, a npc who just loves people in cloaks, or an npc who recognizes certain players because of their backstory and achievements. The thought of "*Rolls die* Ok the guard doesn't want to deal with the well-mannered bard, instead he feels some kind of kinship to this barbarian. Yeah, he totally wants to talk to the 7' giant wearing the necklace of eyeballs" just doesn't click for me. Now if you're in some sort of tribal village and the chief thinks eyeball necklaces are all the rage, I can buy that, but a die roll just doesn't feel natural.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-14, 01:31 PM
A common problem at my table. I wouldn’t suggest the coin flip thing or even an extra roll.

Honestly I’m of the opinion that you can only do so much, people need to come out of the shell on their own. As one of the most dominating personalities, and also being aware of the more timid of my friends, I try to give opportunity for others to lead a social encounter, even if I might be playing the character with the better stats for it (which as mostly warlock player I am). If they don’t take it I can’t do much about it. Forcing someone into that situation isn’t ideal.

But this just me in a group of 6 other players and 1 DM half of which will gladly take the spotlight away from the the 2-3 timid ones.

Takes the whole table this way though.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-14, 02:40 PM
Another option: roll initiative, and only allow one skill check per turn. Beating people to the punch can matter in some social encounters, and this approach can encourage people to use unconventional skills or cast spells as part of their contribution to the encounter.

willdaBEAST
2018-02-14, 03:22 PM
Another option: roll initiative, and only allow one skill check per turn. Beating people to the punch can matter in some social encounters, and this approach can encourage people to use unconventional skills or cast spells as part of their contribution to the encounter.

Expanding upon this idea, you can rotate around the table in social situations asking, "what is your character doing/what do they want to do?" Some times they won't want to do anything but be a wallflower, but you're at least giving the player an opportunity. Similarly you can pose a more direct question, "how does your character react to X moment?" "What kind of body language is your character demonstrating?"

I've found encouraging players who are reluctant to role-play to describe in the 3rd person what's happening with their character can help a lot. Not everyone is comfortable immersing themselves and speaking as their character, but vivid descriptions can be just as effective. I'd also discourage players from saying things like "I want to roll deception". Imo players should describe their intentions or what they want to accomplish instead of declaring a skill check.

ErHo
2018-02-14, 05:01 PM
Especially evil DM suggesting splitting the party!

Nice try Satan!

Kane0
2018-02-14, 05:24 PM
You know the classic line 'You must gather your party before venturing forth' ?
Use it's lesser known cousin: 'The object is busy and cannot talk to you right now'

Nidgit
2018-02-14, 05:40 PM
Give a few NPCs specific reasons to talk to the less outgoing player-characters. It could be some important reason, or it could just be "my grandfather was a ranger too."

Every character has some skills and stuff they like to do. Give your Druid someone to track or eavesdrop on, or your Cleric people to preach to. If you want them to converse without interruption, distract your other characters with stuff like that to isolate them.

Theodoxus
2018-02-14, 05:53 PM
I suspect, with this specific case, it'll be difficult, Sam. The artificer - either through guile or DM permission, is built to take the wheel for social interactions.

The thread is great for general issues with charismatic bullies... but I fear without direct DM intervention at your table - and probably the removal of the Mask of Deception, it will be awkward, if not difficult, to come up with in-game reasons why the artificer isn't talking first.

Has the player always been this way in previous games (or is this your first campaign with them?) It might be their way of breaking the ice, as it were, overcoming their own social awkwardness - lord knows our hobby is rife with the socially awkward :smallwink:

samcifer
2018-02-14, 06:22 PM
I suspect, with this specific case, it'll be difficult, Sam. The artificer - either through guile or DM permission, is built to take the wheel for social interactions.

The thread is great for general issues with charismatic bullies... but I fear without direct DM intervention at your table - and probably the removal of the Mask of Deception, it will be awkward, if not difficult, to come up with in-game reasons why the artificer isn't talking first.

Has the player always been this way in previous games (or is this your first campaign with them?) It might be their way of breaking the ice, as it were, overcoming their own social awkwardness - lord knows our hobby is rife with the socially awkward :smallwink:

First time playing with this group. The rest of the players have known each other for some time now, not sure how long, but probably a few years now.

Coffee_Dragon
2018-02-15, 01:16 AM
he always seems to start talking to an npc the second the dm finishes introducing them

Well, beats starting talking before the DM finishes introducing them, which is a thing that happens.

Another option: roll initiative

What if there's a player who's conditioned to throw fireballs or stab people for autocrits after rolling advantage? Endless fun? Yes.

Contrast
2018-02-15, 08:44 AM
That's a DM failure. Nothing happens in universe until the DM allows it to happen. Even if the player jumps in, the DM should simply just stop them and say "the NPC is talking to <bob>, not you right now" or something similar. It's exactly the same as classroom management--sometimes you have to call on people directly and ignore the ones who break in. And talk to them OOC and tell them (the overzealous ones) that they're being unfair and stomping on other people's fun. If they won't change, then, well....

I'm going to disagree somewhat here that its primarily the DMs fault (though obviously this is an issue which depends heavily on the particular people and group dynamics involved so whats true for one group may not be for another). I'm currently playing in a group where a couple of people are complaining because a few players are dominating the game time. It's not because the DM is enabling their behaviour, its because they're the only ones who do things. At any time the other players could step foward and start taking part (and they have been encouraged to do so) but they just...don't and only start doing things when poked by the more pro-active players.

Obviously its a two way street but if you as a PC are sitting there annoyed that someone else is hogging the lime light - stop sitting there and do something even if its as simple as 'My PC clears their throat and raises an eyebrow, waiting to be introduced'.

It's also worth saying some people hate certain elements in the game as well. I've sat in painful silence before when a DM decided someone needed their time in the social spotlight and told other people to be quiet when they tried to interject. Exchanging a couple of sentences took about 10 minutes.

Expanding upon this idea, you can rotate around the table in social situations asking, "what is your character doing/what do they want to do?" Some times they won't want to do anything but be a wallflower, but you're at least giving the player an opportunity. Similarly you can pose a more direct question, "how does your character react to X moment?" "What kind of body language is your character demonstrating?"

I'd say this is the best advice for a DM. Ask people what their characters are doing. If they want to be involved they can be, if not, no pressure.