PDA

View Full Version : Cleric of Loviatar flavor - Suggestions Appreciated.

RoninLoganX
2018-02-14, 01:30 PM
Hi there. As the title suggests, I've built a Half Elf Life Cleric of Loviatar and I'm looking for some advice regarding her flavor.

So far, I have her ideal: "Life is pain, and it must be preserved, so that it may be prolonged"

Would love suggestions for her character traits, Bond, and flaw.

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-14, 01:58 PM
Do you have a specific background in mind? A Cleric of Loviatar might have a different outlook if they are a noble compared to a folk hero, for instance.

RoninLoganX
2018-02-14, 02:37 PM
Not really. I have this sort of idea that she was slave who endured many pains and tortures from a cruel master until she was unintentionally "saved" by an adventuring Priestess of Loviatar, who ended up bringing her into her sect of the church to become one of the Maiden of Pain's faithful.

Also, I see her as having a sort of Blue morality. She inflict pain, not out of a malicious intent, but because she truly believes Pain is divine, due to her past experiences.

Biggstick
2018-02-14, 02:58 PM
Why was she rescued from slavery? That seems like an odd twist for Priests of Lovaiatar, and would be important for further developing the relationship of the PC with the rescuing Priest.

Please elaborate as to what a "Blue" morality is. Without knowing what a Blue morality is, it's harder to further comment, but I'll attempt to.

If I remember correctly, those who worship Loviatar typically enjoy the inflicting of pain upon people. So your character would be an anomaly within the sect (most likely at least). A well-played Cleric of Loviatar will almost certainaly have a "sweet" side, so as to confuse victims as to their intentions. It creates a situation in which those dealing with the "teachings" of a Cleric of Loviatar are unsure of what to expect next.

This character sounds difficult to integrate into a party unless they themselves appreciate the teachings of Loviatar. Which most people don't. How do you intend such a character to become part of an adventuring party? Why would they leave behind their life with the Sect?

RoninLoganX
2018-02-14, 03:29 PM
Why was she rescued from slavery? That seems like an odd twist for Priests of Lovaiatar, and would be important for further developing the relationship of the PC with the rescuing Priest.

Please elaborate as to what a "Blue" morality is. Without knowing what a Blue morality is, it's harder to further comment, but I'll attempt to.

If I remember correctly, those who worship Loviatar typically enjoy the inflicting of pain upon people. So your character would be an anomaly within the sect (most likely at least). A well-played Cleric of Loviatar will almost certainaly have a "sweet" side, so as to confuse victims as to their intentions. It creates a situation in which those dealing with the "teachings" of a Cleric of Loviatar are unsure of what to expect next.

This character sounds difficult to integrate into a party unless they themselves appreciate the teachings of Loviatar. Which most people don't. How do you intend such a character to become part of an adventuring party? Why would they leave behind their life with the Sect?

I said unintentionally "saved" for a reason. The Priestess killed her owner, without any knowledge of her existence, unknowingly freeing her. Then, she was taken in when the Prietess saw in her the potential making of a follower of Loviatar.

By Blue morality, I meant that the concepts of good and evil can't really be applied to her. Mechanically, she's neutral, but as far as her driving motive it's to inflict divine pain on others, which in her mind is morally right. And, she does enjoy both inflicting and receiving pain, as that's what life is, and so it should be experienced. She wants to share the joy of pain with the willing and punish those deserving of punishment, who in her mind are those who try to end lives, thereby robbing people of their pain.

As for why she would leave her Sect. What better way is there to share the Joy of pain other than being out in the world adventuring?

Biggstick
2018-02-14, 04:04 PM
I said unintentionally "saved" for a reason. The Priestess killed her owner, without any knowledge of her existence, unknowingly freeing her. Then, she was taken in when the Prietess saw in her the potential making of a follower of Loviatar.

By Blue morality, I meant that the concepts of good and evil can't really be applied to her. Mechanically, she's neutral, but as far as her driving motive it's to inflict divine pain on others, which in her mind is morally right. And, she does enjoy both inflicting and receiving pain, as that's what life is, and so it should be experienced. She wants to share the joy of pain with the willing and punish those deserving of punishment, who in her mind are those who try to end lives, thereby robbing people of their pain.

As for why she would leave her Sect. What better way is there to share the Joy of pain other than being out in the world adventuring?

While you might call it a Blue morality, she is still acting in an Evil manner. Torturing, or inflicting pain on someone else who doesn't consent to it simply for the purpose of inflicting pain, is Evil. If you're playing in a typical D&D group in Faerun, most are going to question why they're bringing a Priestess of Loviatar along when she's always wanting to torture a majority of the people the party interacts with.

Sure, I might be over-emphasizing the torture bit, but that's what Loviatar is about. Inflicting pain, on both those who are and aren't willing. To completely leave out the inflicting pain on the non-willing turns Loviatar from an Evil goddess to something else. While yes, you can yourself still technically be a non-evil worshipper of Loviatar, almost all the other worshippers of her will be. Most good-aligned deities are diametrically opposed to her and those she (Loviatar) serve. You will be a party member who is practically shunned anywhere in which you need to interact with a representative of most Good-aligned deities.

There is a special (and not in a unique awesome way) darkness within someone who is a worshipper/Cleric of Loviatar, and I'm just wanting to be sure you're not trying to bypass it to make some sort of edge-character that "enjoys" pain. Good and Neutral people don't enjoy torture the way a worshipper of Loviatar does.

As far as flavoring the character, there should definitely be at least one whip on her person at all times. Acquiring Booming Blade through the Spell Sniper feat would allow you to use the cantrip at 10' range (with a Whip), allowing you to inflict not only slashing damage from the whip, but Thunder damage from BB, and eventually Necrotic damage from your level 8 feature. This will also combine well with the Spiritual Weapon spell, allowing for multiple attacks on a single target with "ok" damage being done.

For even more flavor, she should be looking to help those who are suffering so intensely that they're near death. Prolong their lives as much as possible, so that their misery continues. It shouldn't be obvious that you're doing it for selfish reasons.

Last but not least, I would do my best to keep my faith to Loviatar hidden from the party. This really only applies if you're in a standard adventuring party (which I assume is a group of heroes typically trying to do the right thing). If you're in a group of murderhobos who are ok with torture, no big deal. Heck, you might even come out and try to convert them then and there to the worship of Loviatar. But keep your faith hidden and proclaim yourself a Cleric of Hoar, Tempus, or the Red Knight. All have a relatively martial bent to them, with a focus on war and/or revenge. Your more martial tendencies will be hidden behind the perception those deities' representatives have already made clear for themselves, and the faithful of those deities probably won't pause for that long in regards to your enjoyment of torture.

RoninLoganX
2018-02-14, 04:24 PM
Right, I'm not looking to just do an edgy character, and I don't want to just do a character who's inflicting pain for the Evils. I'm trying to get creative with it, think outside the box, and I like the idea of someone who's been broken and now sees the world in an atypical light. By my understanding, alignment is not about actions, but intent. Thats why im saying Blue/Neutral (Lawful Neutral, to be exact).

Quoxis
2018-02-14, 04:43 PM
Maybe read up on WH40K‘s Slaneesh, word is that its cultists are into that stuff, maybe you’ll get some inspiration.

Biggstick
2018-02-14, 04:59 PM
Right, I'm not looking to just do an edgy character, and I don't want to just do a character who's inflicting pain for the Evils. I'm trying to get creative with it, think outside the box, and I like the idea of someone who's been broken and now sees the world in an atypical light. By my understanding, alignment is not about actions, but intent. Thats why im saying Blue/Neutral (Lawful Neutral, to be exact).

A Lawful Evil person doesn't see themselves as Evil. At least, most typically don't. Just because you don't see yourself that way doesn't mean the world doesn't see you that way.

And you can still play the way you're wanting to play! I'm just trying to point out to you what you're coming from background wise is a definitely-not-nice group of people who most folks consider neutral at their absolute best and evil as their norm. In showing this to you, and suggesting ways to deal with it, I'm hoping it provides some of the flavor you were asking about getting added to the character.

SirGraystone
2018-02-15, 10:44 AM
She started in a poor family, and got lucky to find work as a servant for some rich noble or merchant. Or so her family thought, but he was a sadistic man punishing her often. Caught between the pain she was receiving and the coins needed by her family, one night she pray for dead to free her from the cruelty.

A voice offered her power and freedom if she accepted the pain. The next time she was beaten, she embraced the pain and found the power to cast Thorn Whip and struck down her torturer.

Now she use her goddess power to punish the powerful peoples who abuse their power, and protect the weak.

Note: Thorn Whip is not a cantrip for cleric, should be allow for someone following Loviatar