PDA

View Full Version : Lightning lure + tempest cleric shenanigans?

LVOD
2018-02-14, 03:07 PM
So I’ve always loved the tempest cleric, except for that odd sixth-level ability (a free 10ft push whenever you deal lightning damage). It seems awesome, except that clerics don’t get any good lightning spells except call lightning.

Then i noticed lightning lure on the wizards list, which lets you pull a creature 10 feet, then zap it...

If we use magic initiate to get that spell on a tempest cleric, is there some kind of shenanigans we can exploit to make this the most painful yo-yo of all time? I’m thinking wall of flame or spike growth.

Lord8Ball
2018-02-14, 03:30 PM
Make sure the enemy has his back to a wall and then step forward so that you are less than ten feet away from the wall. Cast lightning lure to bring his towards you and use the class ability to slam him into the wall. Though this may not be Raw you could make it do fall damage as if the enemy fell 10ft and add a d6 to the damage. I am not sure if the push away is the direction you cast the spell and not one you choose. Theoretically you could pull someone towards you and sidestep yourself so that the you have the angle to push the enemy off a wall. It could also be possible that those two forces negate each other.

tieren
2018-02-14, 03:35 PM
Magic Initiate to pick up lightning lure, shocking grasp and chromatic orb (lightning) could add well to the repetoire.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-14, 03:38 PM
I'd rather do this with the spell shocking grasp. Clerics have the AC to walk into melee and shock someone off a cliff, when a cliff is present. It's also beneficial to have a method of pushing creatures away from yourself when you're a spellcaster.

Naturally this works better with party support. Team up with a ranger or druid and you can do some cool things with the spell Spike Growth. This would also be pretty funny with Wall of Fire.

Errata
2018-02-14, 03:45 PM
If you had a way to pair it with Spike Growth, a level 2 Druid (or Nature Cleric) spell, then they take 2d4 damage for every 5 feet they move within that area. So by moving them 20 feet, you could inflict an extra 8d4 (average 20) damage from a cantrip and level 2 concentration effect. Of course if they fail their save you do no damage that turn. If they run away then they'll take the spike damage but it might be hard for you to follow them and keep doing it.

If you can fly (e.g. aarakocra) and you're outdoors or somewhere where the ceiling is at least 20 feet, then you don't even need the Tempest effect to have fun with them. Just fly directly overhead and use your cantrip (Lightning Lure, Vine Whip, or Grasp of Hadar). Each time you hit them, in addition to the normal cantrip damage, they take an extra d6 of falling damage from falling 10 feet. And more importantly, they land prone, which will give any melee allies advantage, as well as limiting their movement on their next turn. With a little trigonometry you can also reposition them horizontally by around 5 feet or so, if it would be advantageous to do so.

Lord8Ball
2018-02-14, 03:54 PM
If you can fly (e.g. aarakocra) and you're outdoors or somewhere where the ceiling is at least 20 feet, then you don't even need the Tempest effect to have fun with them. Just fly directly overhead and use your cantrip (Lightning Lure, Vine Whip, or Grasp of Hadar). Each time you hit them, in addition to the normal cantrip damage, they take an extra d6 of falling damage from falling 10 feet. And more importantly, they land prone, which will give any melee allies advantage, as well as limiting their movement on their next turn. With a little trigonometry you can also reposition them horizontally by around 5 feet or so, if it would be advantageous to do so.

Lightning lure lives up to its name as you fish for enemies from the sky.

LVOD
2018-02-14, 04:12 PM
Unfortunately Wall of fire only deals damage once per turn RAW, so no double dipping there.

Frankly lightning lure + flying sounds more fun anyway. I might try to argue additional damage since the cleric ability is shoving the creature down, rather than just freefall. Maybe 2d6 instead

A Fat Dragon
2018-02-14, 04:17 PM
Lightning lure lives up to its name as you fish for enemies from the sky.

Quite the shocking surprise for those unfortunate enough to take the bait.

Easy_Lee
2018-02-14, 04:49 PM
Unfortunately Wall of fire only deals damage once per turn RAW, so no double dipping there.

Frankly lightning lure + flying sounds more fun anyway. I might try to argue additional damage since the cleric ability is shoving the creature down, rather than just freefall. Maybe 2d6 instead

While true, that's your turn plus the creature's turn. You can shape a wall of fire to cut your group off from the enemies, breaking line of sight for opposing casters and archers and punishing them for trying to enter. At that point the hardest part is to find a way to effectively attack enemies from behind the wall.