PDA

View Full Version : Wagons for D&D 3.5

steinmon1920518
2018-02-14, 06:35 PM
My group thus far has been traveling with an ol' farm cart and a couple of nags (Archie and Duke as dubbed by the Druid).
Recently, they've been discussing an upgrade after nearly losing the cart (and the cleric) to an angry Bullette (broken, but not wrecked). They want a wagon with either armor plating or just mundane reinforcement

While the PHB 3.5 has a wagon in it, I'm having more trouble than not determining a price and the Hit Points for a Reinforced Wagon (Wood), or a Reinforced Wagon (Iron/Steel). With the party's standard preferences in mind, it would be about 10x15 (on the standard grid scale) or a Medium Wagon from my determinations (correct me if I'm wrong).

I would appreciate any assistance provided. If the answer is on an SRD or official 3.5 website, the link would also be appreciated, as I have yet to find a site with these vehicles and conditions in mind

Thanks ahead of time

Thurbane
2018-02-14, 06:44 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide has a fairly detailed section on vehicles, including wagons and modifications/upgrades.

The Stronghold Builders Guide may also have some relevant info.

steinmon1920518
2018-02-14, 07:19 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide has a fairly detailed section on vehicles, including wagons and modifications/upgrades.

The Stronghold Builders Guide may also have some relevant info.

Thank you Thurbane. You have saved me more than 4 months of work and research (I already added it up). My group may not thank you (especially since some of this stuff exceeds the originally intended cost :) ), but I thank you on their behalf

Bullet06320
2018-02-15, 03:14 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?442820-Special-Materials-Index

you may also find this useful for making wagons or wagon parts out of different materials

Mordaedil
2018-02-15, 03:46 AM
Note that there is some change between prices for even simple things like a regular wagon between 3.5 PHB and Arms and Equipment Guide.

Using some form of medium might give you the result you want.

Bronk
2018-02-15, 07:50 AM
There are also Shadow Wagons, for a quicker and more interesting ride...

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031110a

Yahzi
2018-02-15, 05:34 PM
They want a wagon with either armor plating or just mundane reinforcement
You can't armor plate a wagon. It would collapse under its own weight. Medieval smiths could not make iron wagons; their steel was not good enough (strength to weight ratio).

The simplest rule is they pay x5 for a Masterwork Wagon, and you give it a FORT DC 10 save to not be destroyed. Or you just double its hitpoints. Or they buy a new wagon every so often. Or they fix it with magic.

But no wagon that a horse can pull is ever going to withstand a Bullette.

Also, Arms & Equipment Guide is dreadful. According to it you can hire a fully-armored knight for the price of a pound of flour per day. Here's a better equipment guide: Merchants of Prime (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/218456/Merchants-of-Prime).

BowStreetRunner
2018-02-15, 08:22 PM
You can't armor plate a wagon. It would collapse under its own weight. Medieval smiths could not make iron wagons; their steel was not good enough (strength to weight ratio).
Fortunately, fantasy smiths have access to special materials. Mithral or Adamantine would allow for lighter and stronger protection. Darkwood for the wooden parts would reduce the overall weight as well. Dragonhide stretched over the wagon would offer another alternative for protection.

The Hardening spell (SC 109) would be helpful as well.

Tvtyrant
2018-02-15, 08:24 PM

The simplest rule is they pay x5 for a Masterwork Wagon, and you give it a FORT DC 10 save to not be destroyed. Or you just double its hitpoints. Or they buy a new wagon every so often. Or they fix it with magic.

But no wagon that a horse can pull is ever going to withstand a Bullette.

Also, Arms & Equipment Guide is dreadful. According to it you can hire a fully-armored knight for the price of a pound of flour per day. Here's a better equipment guide: Merchants of Prime (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/218456/Merchants-of-Prime).

What is this mede-evil you speak of? Can I smite it?

There are also rules for ship armor in Spelljammer that could easily be adapted.

steinmon1920518
2018-02-17, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys. I've found what I needed, but you do provide interesting thoughts. This is still a relatively low level group (a lot goes on in the world, not all if it is their level: hence a Bullette), so what is being proposed is something they will have to aspire to, I meerly hear them out and make it as SRD as possible or answer their more pressing questions to the best of my ability (within reason; PK vs. CK)

Thank you again for your insights

Falontani
2018-02-17, 08:40 PM
I would make it out of livewood, (ECS its a wooden material that will heal itself over time and can be healed with cure spells) make it masterwork, and enchant it as a wondrous item. Cast Hardening over it. This will make the wood more durable, give it more hp, let it be healed, and give it saves vs auto destruction. If you animate your cart via animate objects and cast greater humanoid essence on it then you can dominate your cart and give it locomotion without the use of beasts of burden. That however is much higher level.

Fizban
2018-02-18, 01:53 AM
Arms and Equipment Guide does not contradict this. One section of iron plating is 5,000 lbs, the wagon has 4,000 lbs of cargo capacity, trying to cover it in iron results in an immobile box.