PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the 3.5 occult slayer

AnimeTheCat
2018-02-14, 07:39 PM
I was reading through complete warrior and came across the occult slayer. For fairly minimal investment a martial character can get some pretty nice bonuses, in my opinion. Some of the abilities are neat, if the were useful they would be pretty cool (looking at you vicious strike). Most of the class abilities are static, always on abilities that are usually functions of a magic item, so the class frees up a magic item slot or two. I could see a ranger 3/fighter 2/occult slayer 5 being pretty freaking nifty to play. Maybe ranger/swashbuckler or something too to trade in grace and pick up arcane stunt ACF from Complete Mage. Maybe it's just at my table, but I think an occult slayer would be fun.

Thurbane
2018-02-14, 07:57 PM
It's not a terrible PrC for martials, and combines fairly well with Witch Slayer (ToM) if you want to make a character focused on fighting casters.

I mean, the best counter to a full caster is another full caster, but these PrCs aren't terrible if you don't want to go down that path.

Mike Miller
2018-02-14, 08:03 PM
The first few responses here sums up my opinion of the class.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?141937-The-Occult-Slayer

gorfnab
2018-02-15, 03:54 PM
I came up with this Occult Slayer build a while ago. It may have some things that could help you build a character for your game.

1. Ranger - B: Track, Weapon Focus: Guisarme, Arcane Hunter ACF (CM)
2. Barbarian - Spirit Totem: Lion ACF (CC), Whirling Frenzy ACF (UA), {Optional: City Brawler ACF (Drg#349)}
3. Barbarian - Nemisis: Arcanists, Wolf Totem ACF
4. Warblade
5. Warblade
6. Warblade - Mage Slayer
7. Warblade
8. Warblade - B: Improved Initiative
9. Crusader - Blindfight
10. Crusader
11. Occult Slayer
12. Occult Slayer - Combat Reflexes
13. Occult Slayer
14. Occult Slayer
15. Occult Slayer - Pierce Magical Concealment
16. Witch Slayer
17. Witch Slayer
18. Witch Slayer - Stand Still
19. Witch Slayer
20. Witch Slayer

Note: The levels of Occult Slayer and Witch Slayer can be switched around as needed.

Warblade nets you the maneuvers Iron Heart Surge, Moment of Perfect Mind, and Action Before Thought. You also get Uncanny Dodge

Crusader nets you the Thicket of Blade Stance (combos nicely with Stand Still, Combat Reflexes, and a reach weapon; wear spiked gauntlets or armor spikes to threaten nearby squares) and some healing maneuvers. it also nets you Indomitable Soul.

Witch Slayer nets you Mettle and Slippery Mind.

If playing human take EWP: Spiked Chain and WF: Spiked Chain instead of Guisarme.

AnimeTheCat
2018-02-15, 04:11 PM
I came up with this Occult Slayer build a while ago. It may have some things that could help you build a character for your game.

1. Ranger - B: Track, Weapon Focus: Guisarme, Arcane Hunter ACF (CM)
2. Barbarian - Spirit Totem: Lion ACF (CC), Whirling Frenzy ACF (UA), {Optional: City Brawler ACF (Drg#349)}
3. Barbarian - Nemisis: Arcanists, Wolf Totem ACF
4. Warblade
5. Warblade
6. Warblade - Mage Slayer
7. Warblade
8. Warblade - B: Improved Initiative
9. Crusader - Blindfight
10. Crusader
11. Occult Slayer
12. Occult Slayer - Combat Reflexes
13. Occult Slayer
14. Occult Slayer
15. Occult Slayer - Pierce Magical Concealment
16. Witch Slayer
17. Witch Slayer
18. Witch Slayer - Stand Still
19. Witch Slayer
20. Witch Slayer

Note: The levels of Occult Slayer and Witch Slayer can be switched around as needed.

Warblade nets you the maneuvers Iron Heart Surge, Moment of Perfect Mind, and Action Before Thought. You also get Uncanny Dodge

Crusader nets you the Thicket of Blade Stance (combos nicely with Stand Still, Combat Reflexes, and a reach weapon; wear spiked gauntlets or armor spikes to threaten nearby squares) and some healing maneuvers. it also nets you Indomitable Soul.

Witch Slayer nets you Mettle and Slippery Mind.

If playing human take EWP: Spiked Chain and WF: Spiked Chain instead of Guisarme.

I appreciate it. That looks like a nice build to be sure, but I'm not really looking for a build. I was more looking for thoughts and opinions on the class and if it's ever seen play or use.

If it were me, I would probably do strongheart halfling hexblade 3/warblade (or crusader) 2/occult slayer 5. That gets mettle and mindblank at 10, plus charisma to saves vs spells and spell like abilities. Crusader gets you charisma to will saves and delayed damage and general crusader stuff where warblade would get diamond mind maneuvers. I'm not a big trip build fan and as such I would probably favor sword/shield. I like it and I've never felt under powered because my aim has never really been to 1shot enemies. I also keep a 2 handed weapon handy in a haversack just in case I need higher damage. That's just me, personally, at my tables.

King of Nowhere
2018-02-15, 04:30 PM
I considered it because I'm also using an antimage build, but I decided not to take the class. It's not bad, but the main problem when fighting a caster is to actually reach the caster in the first place. so it doesn't really matter to have some bonuses against casters once you engage them in melee, it matters to engage them in the first place.
that said, the class has a few useful skills, but they are mostly replicated by other effects easy to obtain.
So, not bad, but nothing special, and not living much to its fluff