PDA

View Full Version : I finally found a use for Winter's Blast

RoboEmperor
2018-02-14, 07:43 PM
When it comes to direct damage reserve feats, everyone recommends Fiery Burst and it's not hard to see why. It's 30' range so you don't put yourself in harms range, 5' radius so no attack roll is necessary, and it's obtainable at level 3.

Winter's Blast on the other hand is a 15' cone which means you have to put yourself in harms' way, and is cold damage which skeletons, which are super common low level, are completely immune to. So why on earth would anyone choose Winter's Blast over fiery burst? The only fathomable reason seems to be that the class they are playing does not have a fire spell of level 2 or lower.

And that's exactly it! CLERICS DON'T HAVE A FREAKING FIRE SPELL OF LEVEL 2 OR LOWER! I mean... SERIOUSLY! After combing through a lot of books, literally the only fire spell clerics have that is level 2 or lower is Lava Missile, which is from SERPENT KINGDOMS! I have yet to meet a DM who has that book let alone uses it in their game. THe only other way of getting a fire spell of level 2 or lower on your cleric seems to be via Domains, but who would use a domain slot for a reserve feat?

So there ya have it. The use of winter's blast is to be the cleric's only level 3 damage reserve feat due to the fact they have no fire spells. An advantage wizards have over clerics is their ability to use fiery burst.

XD. I found this discovery funny so I thought I'd share it.

Thurbane
2018-02-14, 07:46 PM
They could use Energy Substitution, but yes, hardly seems worth it.

Troacctid
2018-02-14, 09:01 PM
Hey. Clerics totally have a fire spell. 'S right there. You even found it yourself.

Winter's Blast does give that nice +1 CL to Cold spells though. That's handy.

heavyfuel
2018-02-14, 10:16 PM
Lava Missile (Serpent Kingdom) and Holy Fire (Forge of War) are both 2nd lv Cleric spells with the Fire descriptor

RoboEmperor
2018-02-14, 10:46 PM
Lava Missile (Serpent Kingdom) and Holy Fire (Forge of War) are both 2nd lv Cleric spells with the Fire descriptor

I knew about Lava Missile, but really nice find on the Holy Fire. It's an eberron book so should be significantly more prevalent/allowed. Nice find!

ericgrau
2018-02-14, 11:02 PM
Hey. Clerics totally have a fire spell. 'S right there. You even found it yourself.

Winter's Blast does give that nice +1 CL to Cold spells though. That's handy.
Hmm... there are a lot of super nice CL dependent cold spells both in and out of core. All day total concealment for the entire party, some of the biggest area & most reliable BFC, utility and damage. I was thinking of making a cold mage among 10 other concepts if I get to play more 3.5. Doing 5e right now.