PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Transferring Properties From Item To Item

Thurbane
2018-02-14, 08:45 PM
Does there exist a method of transferring magical properties from one item to another?

For example, I find a +1 Keen Flaming Spiked Chain as loot. I have a masterwork greatsword, and I'd like to transfer the +1 Keen Flaming from chain to sword.

Does there exist a RAW method in 3.5 for doing this?

Cheers - T.

Darrin
2018-02-15, 08:15 AM
How about:

Find a Chameleon (with a Good alignment) who has a brother. Give his brother both weapons. His brother gives both weapons to the Chameleon. Chameleon uses his floating feat to pick up Ancestral Relic. Sacrifice spiked chain to enchant greatsword. Chameleon gives you enchanted greatsword (after some nominal fee).

Otherwise... polymorph any object is a thing. Find a Dweomerkeeper who can cast PAO as a Supernatural Spell so it isn't dispellable.

Bronk
2018-02-15, 08:49 AM
The closest way I know of to do that is for an artificer to use 'retain essence' to suck the XP out of the first item, then use that XP to upgrade the second item.

In addition to PAO, you could add the weapon special ability, whose name escapes me, that changes one weapon into another.

Wish would also work.

DeTess
2018-02-15, 09:13 AM
In addition to PAO, you could add the weapon special ability, whose name escapes me, that changes one weapon into another.

That would be the Morphing Enchantment, from 'Underdark'. It's a +1 bonus equivalent and requires the change to be between items of the same type (types being one-handed, 2-handed and/or light). The spiked chain isn't actually a light weapon, but merely counts as one for purposes of weapon finesse, so you could turn it into a greatsword.

StriderITP
2018-02-15, 09:36 AM
In this particular case, you can always wrap the spiked chain around the greatsword :smallbiggrin:

Falontani
2018-02-15, 03:42 PM
a custom spell based off the spell Metal Melt but higher level so it affects magical objects

Gemini476
2018-02-16, 08:27 AM
The most obvious method, perhaps, is to just convert the magic item into gold and buy/craft your desired item. The former has you pay a premium, the latter takes time.

For example:
Masterwork Greatsword is worth 350gp.
+1 keen flaming is 18,000gp, +325gp for the spiked chain.
Selling the chain for 50% base price (9,162.5gp) and buying a +1 keen flaming greatsword (18,350gp) means that you pay a 9,187.5gp premium.

Crafting a +1 keen flaming greatsword, however, is 9,000gp (plus a masterwork greatsword). You need to spend 18 days crafting (two and a half weeks) and 720xp (7.2 goblins, one ogre, or half an EL5 encounter), but you actually gain 162.5gp along the way.
However, do note that this is requires you to be a fifth-level Wizard or sixth-level Sorcerer with Keen Edge and Fireball and Craft Magic Arms and Armor.

Sejoran
2018-02-16, 03:34 PM
Something similar to what Bronk said. But i think itd amount to an open DM who would be willing to have a artificer disenchant it and use the xp for the new item, might even let you transfer it for a MUCH reduced cost. Problem with that though is you still have to pay the materials to enchant the new item.

The Melt Metal that Falontani is talking about could work but that raises the question "What happens to the magic in the weapon when you try to melt it into a new form?". You're not destroying it but it is a magical item that could save against that, does the enchant even carry over if the new form is applicable?

unseenmage
2018-02-17, 12:12 AM
Antimagic Field plus some form of nonmagical Polymorph Any Object? Ravenloft Devices of PF tech items perhaps?

The Shadowmind
2018-02-17, 12:30 AM
Not 3.5, but in Pathfinder Dreamscarred Press's Vizier has the ability to swap enchantments between weapons.

Long_shanks
2018-02-17, 01:45 AM
Not 3.5, but in Pathfinder Dreamscarred Press's Vizier has the ability to swap enchantments between weapons.

As does a 10th level Warpriest with the artifice blessing if we stick with Paizo stuff. I don't know of similar abilities in 3.5 though, aside from those PaO shenanigans.

Edit: I had misread to OP. This ability only works for a minute at a time (and is obviously Pathfinder material) so it wouln't be that useful.

Quarian Rex
2018-02-17, 03:58 AM
Another Pathfinder option would be Reforge, the 3rd level ability of a Blacksmith from Spheres of Might. It lets them change any weapon, shield or armor into another equivalent with a few hours hammering at the forge while retaining the magical bonuses.

Thurbane
2018-02-19, 03:41 AM
Hmm, looks like the most straightforward methods involve Pathfinder or Artificers, neither of which we use in our games.