PDA

View Full Version : Vaarsuvius

Cousinbj13
2007-08-27, 02:38 PM
I don't know if anyone else caught it, but Haley referred to V as "he" in the most recent comic(484). Since Haley rooms with V, I think it's safest to assume V is a guy. Just thought I'd point it out...

Lira
2007-08-27, 02:40 PM
Nope. The "he" was referring to Durkon only.

Because Haley is NOT saying that V and Durkon will contact them, she's saying that Durkon will contact V and them. Understand?

Goofy
2007-08-27, 02:43 PM
And we don't know if Haley has any proof that V would be one way or the other simple because she's shared a room with V. Remember, V rests clothed and floating.

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-27, 04:28 PM
Also, Haley doesn't know V is on the boat. She's saying, "Durkon will contact us, and he will also contact V," since she doesn't know Durkon and Vaarsuvius are together on Hinjo's junk.

...Okay, I realize now that statement sounded REALLY perverted.

JasonDoomsblade
2007-08-27, 04:43 PM
V's no longer on the boat. V's head is in my hands. MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Lissou
2007-08-27, 04:52 PM
1- as others pointed out, "he" was referring to Durkon
2- what Haley think V is isn't the truth, just what she thinks
3- i'm pretty sure Haley thinks V is a female. I don't think she'd share her room with V otherwise, and she does tell V about fashion stuff and such.

and, 4- if the Giant ever gives us an answer about v's gender (which I doubt) believe me, it will be obvious, and not in the middle of the after-battle confusion, like now.

Xefas
2007-08-27, 04:57 PM
I'm still inclined to think that V is female, considering, when given 2 rooms of equal size at an inn, they divide the party up 4/2, with Roy, Elan, Durkon, and Belkar in one, and Haley and V in the other. I can't really think of a better reason they would do this, other than that they're seperated by gender.

I refer to comic #123 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html).

I could be overlooking something, of course...

Cousinbj13
2007-08-27, 04:58 PM
Ah, I see. Alright, this topic can be left to die now and the mystery of Vaarsuvius' gender can continue to be speculated on.

Lissou
2007-08-27, 05:03 PM
I think that V and Haley share a room because:

1- Haley thinks V's female, or trusts him more than the others if she thinks it's a male
2 - Haley and V are friends, and Haley probably prefers being with a friend rather than alone
3 - V doesn't protest because (s)he prefers being with Haley rather than all the others (which includes Belkar).

V did say "I share my room only with miss Starshine" when they were with Miko. Makes me think it's a matter of trust more than gender.

Also, I wonder if from now on, Haley will stop sharing her room with V and start sharing it with Elan (if they go to an inn again after being reunited, I mean).

boomwolf
2007-08-27, 05:12 PM
or its the fact miko is a girl as well, and V tells her in a clever way "i hate you" without actually saying that...

ag30476
2007-08-27, 05:46 PM
I don't know if anyone else caught it, but Haley referred to V as "he" in the most recent comic(484). Since Haley rooms with V, I think it's safest to assume V is a guy. Just thought I'd point it out...

'He' refers to Durkon only...both times...or not...where's my Strunk & White...or maybe it's just a blooper like in the first bubble...

Halna LeGavilk
2007-08-27, 07:57 PM
I think Haley knows V's true gender. If you remember, in the post where the guys find out that V is married, Haley says "You guys didn't know V is married?". That says that Haley knows V's true gender, because it's hard to have a conversation about marriage if you don't mention which part you play (husband/wife).

Lissou
2007-08-27, 08:10 PM
I think Haley knows V's true gender. If you remember, in the post where the guys find out that V is married, Haley says "You guys didn't know V is married?". That says that Haley knows V's true gender, because it's hard to have a conversation about marriage if you don't mention which part you play (husband/wife).

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html

Well, here you go. If V uses "my love" and "my mate" all the time, there is no reason why Haley would know for sure. Plus, just because she knows V is married doesn't mean V talks about it all the time. V might have mentionned it only once or twice, but a long time ago, to haley, so she's surprised the others don't know yet.

Threeshades
2007-08-27, 08:32 PM

Well, here you go. If V uses "my love" and "my mate" all the time, there is no reason why Haley would know for sure. Plus, just because she knows V is married doesn't mean V talks about it all the time. V might have mentionned it only once or twice, but a long time ago, to haley, so she's surprised the others don't know yet.

Yeah, just because she knows V is married doesnt mean she knows if V is married to a male or female.
Even if she had seen V's "mate" it might be just as unclear as V themself.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-08-27, 09:08 PM

Well, as Lissou said earlier, it could be a matter of trust. V simply does not trust the other characters enough to reveal to them what gender s/he is.

Pun Pun
2007-08-29, 05:04 PM
I personally would guess V to be female because I belive (s)he to be a satire of Mialee, the wizard who occurs in a number of wizards source books and core.

BRC
2007-08-29, 05:17 PM
There are actually 2 V's, both identical wizards of equal power. One is male and one is female, and every day they use a piece of homebrewed cheese to switch places.

The 6th Side
2007-08-29, 05:53 PM

*sigh* someone point this guy to where the giant said about charachters veiws on this kind of thing? I dont feel like finsing it again :smallsigh:

psychoticbarber
2007-08-29, 07:36 PM
I personally would guess V to be female because I belive (s)he to be a satire of Mialee, the wizard who occurs in a number of wizards source books and core.

Though I am not entirely convinced, this is the most compelling argument I've seen on either side :smallwink:.

Lissou
2007-08-29, 07:43 PM
Spoiler from otOoPCs (that's I've just re-read)

I don't think it means anything, really, but young Vaarsuvius as short hair as a young kid. i couldn't find any female young kid with short hair in the whole stories, they usually have longer hair or braids or something. Of course, the author doesn't want us to know the truth, so there is a fair chance that this is not a hint of any kind. I just thought I'd point it out (sorry if 10 000 people did so before me)

For the record, my opinion on V's gender is split.

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-29, 07:49 PM
Haley, beyond doubt, knows what V's gender is and just never says. She knows that Vaarsuvius is married; it would be odd to know that and not know V's gender.

Lissou
2007-08-29, 07:54 PM
Haley, beyond doubt, knows what V's gender is and just never says. She knows that Vaarsuvius is married; it would be odd to know that and not know V's gender.

Weirder than actually spending all of your days with a person for months and not knowing their gender?

Because that's what all of the party has been doing with V, and they don't seem to know. V talks a lot, but is good at hiding that kind of thinks, be it on purpose or not.

Also, nothing says V's mate would be of opposite gender, really. Nothing say they wouldn't but... It's Rich's world, if he wanted to be tricky, he could have elf marriage to be allowed for same-sex elves. And then, even knowing V's mate's gender wouldn't be of any help.

Querzis
2007-08-29, 09:02 PM
Weirder than actually spending all of your days with a person for months and not knowing their gender?

Because that's what all of the party has been doing with V, and they don't seem to know. V talks a lot, but is good at hiding that kind of thinks, be it on purpose or not.

Also, nothing says V's mate would be of opposite gender, really. Nothing say they wouldn't but... It's Rich's world, if he wanted to be tricky, he could have elf marriage to be allowed for same-sex elves. And then, even knowing V's mate's gender wouldn't be of any help.

Haley knew V long before they joined the party. They are best friends, of course Haley know V gender but, like V, she doesnt seems to realize the rest of the party cant tell his gender.

Anyway, the Giant had a defined gender for V at the start of the comic but since people on the forum coudnt tell V gender, he decided to make V andorogynous (its funnier that way anyway).

He was obviously meant to be a male though:

1. Roy call V «V-man» in strip 9 and thats when V still had a defined gender. Therefore, V was a man in strip 9.

2. V has no curve. Absolutely no woman in the OOTS world has no curve, every other woman, even those who wears robe or plate armor have curves.

3. Vaarsuvius...that actually sound like a woman name to you? Just say it out loud!

The «they share a room» argument is really weak. They are best friends, of course they share a room! Haley cant take a room just for herself either. More importantly, if I was Haley, I sure as hell woudnt trust any other guys in the party then V (yes, even Roy think with his Trouser Titan a bit too much).

The only reason I see why people could have though V was a female would be because 4 men and two women sounds better then 5 men and one woman...or maybe its just because some guys like V a bit too much so they really want him to be a girl.

Anyway, even though V was meant to be a male, now V is nothing more then an elf until the Giant decide otherwise.

the_tick_rules
2007-08-30, 12:34 AM
another gender thread? We've been down this road.

The UnderKing
2007-08-30, 12:37 AM
I agree with Querzis. The Giant did have a gender for V at first but he changed his mind over the controversey.

As I've stated before Rich is human and can change his mind. And since he has changed his mind V is NOW nothing. People say that because V was male at the begining V is male now. No, V is nothing now.

Marlowe
2007-08-30, 04:54 AM
Well, I feel better.

Discovering the comic in the last few months, and reading the whole thing through in one sitting, I never even realised there WAS an ambiguity about Vs gender until the jokes started coming. No curves. Masculine name. Linear thought patterns. A certain old-english-gentleman schtick. He always seemed clearly masculine from the first to me.

After I read some of the threads on it argument I started to wonder if there was something deeply wrong with my comprehension.

Evil DM Mark3
2007-08-30, 05:05 AM
I too think that :vaarsuvius: is a male. However the "Haley shares a room" argument is useless on two counts.

1st: It has been used on both sides. (She must be a woman so we have a male/female split and He must be male because Haley has said so and should know)
2nd: We have seen V asleep, or rather meditating. He does it fully cloathed.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-30, 05:19 AM
Haley speaks English well enough.
Have an acceptable command of the english language, She uses the male prooun in place of any subject for which the gender is ambigious (a-la-V).

MinusInnocence
2007-08-30, 05:31 AM
Also, nothing says V's mate would be of opposite gender, really. Nothing say they wouldn't but... It's Rich's world, if he wanted to be tricky, he could have elf marriage to be allowed for same-sex elves. And then, even knowing V's mate's gender wouldn't be of any help.I'm sure V's spouse is either as androgynous as V or a plant of some kind.

Ecalsneerg
2007-08-30, 12:54 PM
See, I think V literally has no gender. It isn't just because it's unrevealed. Maybe in Rich's setting, all Elves are androgynous by default.

Setra
2007-08-30, 01:07 PM
So... I'm thinking this is.. what, the 18th I've seen?

In the end no one agrees. I personally think V is male, as more evidence points towards it. Especially the name.

And not a one can prove beyond a reasonable doubt V is female, so my mind is not gonna change.

I honestly see V as similar to Raistlin, except an elf. And not sickly, or with Golden Skin. Or Hourglass eyes.

Maybe more like Dalamar.

Nightgaunt
2007-08-30, 04:06 PM

no no one else caught this. clearly the problem has been solved. Yes mark this day forever! The answer is right here in comic 484, I see no reason to continue another thread of this type. We now know with 100% certaintly the answer.

Querzis
2007-08-30, 09:48 PM
Maybe in Rich's setting, all Elves are androgynous by default.

One word: Lirian. Shes definitly not androgynous.

spbvji
2007-08-31, 12:43 AM
no no one else caught this. clearly the problem has been solved. Yes mark this day forever! The answer is right here in comic 484, I see no reason to continue another thread of this type. We now know with 100% certaintly the answer.

Sorry, she said "Durkon knows the plan. He''l contact us magiacally - and v too- as soon as he'sn able"
It's pretty clear, to me at least, that 'he' was in referance to Durkon. Sorry.
Dont get me wrong, I think v is a guy. But this isn't proof.

Rethorn
2007-08-31, 11:23 PM
Sorry, she said "Durkon knows the plan. He''l contact us magiacally - and v too- as soon as he'sn able"
It's pretty clear, to me at least, that 'he' was in referance to Durkon. Sorry.
Dont get me wrong, I think v is a guy. But this isn't proof.

~~~ <-- Joke
:smallsmile: <-- You