PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Druid/Warlock multiclass?

bc56
2018-02-14, 10:08 PM
I have a character who is going to start druid in an upcoming campaign. It would make story sense for the druid to multiclass into warlock later, and the stats work out fine, but I'm not sure how viable it is.

Yuan-ti Pureblood Druid of yet unplanned subclass (but probably land) multiclassing into GOO warlock. Cha and Wis are equal. 1st level character.

Any thoughts?

Mortis_Elrod
2018-02-14, 10:39 PM
I support this. I’m wondering on the split of levels though. I can see this being a very cool utility caster with Druid spells and warlock spells and invocations you get some nice control and illusion combining.

if I were to do this multiclass myself idk what I would do. Blade doesn’t really work with moon Druid, different casting stats is an issue, maybe Spore, Dreams is definitely cool. Dreams with Tome warlock, have a Dream Journal with all the spells you learn through Dreams. That’s a fun character to role play. Maybe Chain? Sprite with Shepherd ? That might be fun too. Fey or Goo work well.

Lord8Ball
2018-02-15, 12:59 AM
I've done that before with a fey warlock/ grassland druid and it works just fine.

Thisguy_
2018-02-15, 01:47 AM
Currently playing one of these. The abilities you're able to acquire via warlock mesh nice with druid spells and features. I'm rocking land druid/feylock, which is admittedly not the most powerful way to do it, but I have a lot of fun.

Asmotherion
2018-02-15, 03:44 AM
I have a character who is going to start druid in an upcoming campaign. It would make story sense for the druid to multiclass into warlock later, and the stats work out fine, but I'm not sure how viable it is.

Yuan-ti Pureblood Druid of yet unplanned subclass (but probably land) multiclassing into GOO warlock. Cha and Wis are equal. 1st level character.

Any thoughts?

This is some serious out of the Box concept! I like it!

Agonising Blast and Beast Speach as Invocations (I know you already do that as a Yuan Ti, it just seems thematic to do so on all Animals, since Druid). You will also comunicate with them telepathically, and if you convince them (probably will), you will control them.

Invest 1 level of Dragonic Origin Sorcerer, to extend this ability to Dragons. I know this may be deriving from your original plan, but it goes well with the Yuan-Ti trope (who speak Dragonic, and Green Dragons are somehow connected with Yuan-Ti society if I'm not mistaken?).

Then, as a Druid you can take any snake form you need. You are a Snake God(ess)!

JellyPooga
2018-02-15, 05:52 AM
Druid/Warlock is a multiclass I really like. The Druid list has some of the nicer scaling spells for upcasting, like Moonbeam, Fog Cloud and Enhance Ability, which you can take advantage of with Pact Magic, not to mention being able to keep the likes of Pass Without Traceactive 24/7.

There's some nice synergy between Druid and Warlock, both thematically and mechanically. The only downside is having to maintain both high Cha and high Wis.

Beechgnome
2018-02-15, 07:50 AM
I support this too. I have a Moon Druid and I am planning to take a GOO warlock dip so the character can have Armor of Agathys and the telepathy feature. The challenge I find with moon druids is that I can understand the party but they can't understand me when in wild shape, and the GOO's one-way communication mostly solves the issue. It'll work story wise because there is already a GOO warlock in the party. He must have left some of his notes for me to find...

Vogie
2018-02-15, 08:53 AM
I'd definitely suggest the pairing - in addition to the Telepathy/wild shape combo, the Mage Armor invocation will persist when wild shaped into a non-armored creature.

If you're a not entirely sold on GOO lock, you can also get the same effect with 3 levels of Pact of the Chain Warlock, Voice of the Chain Master invocation... This way you aren't telepathic to your party, but you speak through your imp. You would do this if you wanted, for example, to be a:

Wild Shape Brawler - Hexblade Chain Warlock (for the Hexblade’s curse giving you bonus damage & expanded critical)
Air Force - Raven Queen Chain Warlock (To have both a Familiar and a Faux-miliar, both of which can fly. At Warlock level 6, you'll be able to "shift" into a Raven without using your Wild shape ability)
Not-Cleric - Celestial Warlock (Lots of Cantrips, can use Healing Light to heal as a bonus action without using any spells or spell slots)

TheProfessor85
2020-09-28, 12:50 PM
It's probably a little too late, but...

Dream druid/Goo lock works wonderfully.

Dendar the Night serpent is an Great Old One who is a eater of dreams. Lorewise it could work really well.

truemane
2020-09-29, 12:25 PM
Metamagic Mod: It is, indeed, a little too late.