PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Up My Mailman

ImpieBA
2018-02-15, 02:26 AM
So, I have a fairly standard Human Mailman build. In our last session, we were ambushed by a lot of small guys. During the fight, a couple of them got within striking range. They were low enough level that it wasn't an issue for him, and he ended up roasting one them with Combust. Now, my Sorcerer is a bit pleased with himself for taking out two melee enemies on his own, and it's kind of gotten to his head.

Here's the thoughts:

I'm not looking for a gish. I want to stay mostly a mailman.
I have a decent amount of gold right now from missing the last shopping spree.
My levels are spoken for.
My character is vain about his appearance. As such, things that actually alter his appearance like Polymorph most likely won't appeal to him.
That said, he doesn't mind covering up his body with items, particularly if they're valuable or powerful.
Like I said, I don't want to gish. He'll still be in the back when he can. I just want something to help him tank a few good hits without becoming pink mist.
Spell or magic item preferred.

Any ideas?

Mordaedil
2018-02-15, 02:53 AM
Get yourself some potions of bull's strength and a knowstone that has Tenser's Transformation in it, if you have the level for it.

Get yourself a mithril full-armor and a few scrolls of Instant Summons and conjure forth the armor when you need it, while you keep a sword or other martial weapon you like in your heward's haversack.

You won't be a fighter, but you'll be able to surprise your foes who think they've caught you out of your element.

gogogome
2018-02-15, 02:55 AM
wings of cover is the best sorcerer defense spell

DeTess
2018-02-15, 04:40 AM
Maybe develop a tactic around a move-action teleport and greater fireburst? Port in close, roast the enemy and port out again.

ImpieBA
2018-02-20, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Get yourself some potions of bull's strength and a knowstone that has Tenser's Transformation in it, if you have the level for it.

Get yourself a mithril full-armor and a few scrolls of Instant Summons and conjure forth the armor when you need it, while you keep a sword or other martial weapon you like in your heward's haversack.

You won't be a fighter, but you'll be able to surprise your foes who think they've caught you out of your element.

I'd rather not go the Tenser's Transformation route. It's a cool spell, but I'd get more out of Combust in the end. I don't need Bull's Strength potions, either. I have a whistle that grants me "Animal's X" a few times per day, if I felt like using it.

wings of cover is the best sorcerer defense spell
As for Wings of Cover, that's a great spell. I use it quite a bit, that encounter included.

Maybe develop a tactic around a move-action teleport and greater fireburst? Port in close, roast the enemy and port out again.

Greater Fireburst is perfect. Thank you. He's already got a few ways to teleport, but I none that are move-action yet. I might consider those.

Thanks again!

Crichton
2018-02-20, 12:32 PM
Don't underestimate swift-action short range teleports, such as from anklet of translation, or better yet, a shadow cloak. That'll nope a melee attack right now, and it's mostly passive so you don't have to plan ahead for it as much.

Or if melee attacks are really the main thing you're worried about, it's hard to beat the tried and true method of flying or levitating out of melee range, and raining death from above.

flappeercraft
2018-02-20, 02:32 PM
How about the typical Greater Mage Armor, Blur and Shield for defense (+10 to AC total and Miss Chance) and Wings of Cover to not become a bloodstain? For offense you can just continue using Combust but the Smiting Spell fgeat would be pretty good although it unfortunately only works for touch spells.

Falontani
2018-02-20, 04:24 PM
grab 3 items from the Regalia of the Phoenix Set to get yourself fire immunity, set yourself up with a wall of fire and fire shield. Not many melee combatants will want to attack you straight on when your literally on fire. If they approach they either are too dumb (remember not even ANTS will approach a fire) or are confident in their resistance to fire. Meaning that you know that anyone that keeps trying to get you while your in all of that wont be affected too much by combust and you should probably not let him get to you, or really want you dead (for one reason or another)