PDA

View Full Version : What's a good lackey?

GreyBlack
2018-02-15, 04:25 AM
Greetings folks! So in what was originally being played as an Adventurers League game, my DM is giving me the opportunity to basically claim a stronghold as my own. Because my character is going to be level 5 and over levelled for the adventure, I'm going to work on sprucing up the stronghold and becoming a local Lord.

As such, I'm going to roll a new character to use as an underling. I'm currently running a Light Cleric of Helm. What would be a good underling/lieutenant to use for a character like this?

Quoz
2018-02-15, 05:52 AM
If you're looking for an acolyte, consider a monk. Perhaps from a 'monsterous' race which you save or manage to turn to the party's side. Divine soul sorcerer would also be a very flavorful choice.

My personal preference would probably end up looking like a kobold open hand monk. With no openly displayed weapons or armor you have the appearance of a basic follower. When the fight throws down, you just get a half-crazed whirlwind of claws, teeth and tail; capable of jumping up and kicking an orc halfway across the room if they speak ill of his lord or his god.

Arkhios
2018-02-15, 05:58 AM
Oath of the Crown Paladin might be fitting, conceptually.

GreyBlack
2018-02-15, 06:44 AM
I suppose I should clarify as well: I am running Lawful Evil cleric of Helm. A monk might be interesting, although somewhat conceptually bizarre for Helm. I was leaning more towards a Paladin or a Fighter, depending on how much of a warlord I wanted the character to be.

Glorthindel
2018-02-15, 08:07 AM
I would probably be inclined to go for a Lawful Evil Sorcerer or Warlock, who would fill the role of a strict and pragmatic steward/advisor. Then I might play him as a scheming traitor plotting to overthrow my previous character, and see how the other players react to me scheming against myself :smallconfused:

GreyBlack
2018-02-15, 08:38 AM
I would probably be inclined to go for a Lawful Evil Sorcerer or Warlock, who would fill the role of a strict and pragmatic steward/advisor. Then I might play him as a scheming traitor plotting to overthrow my previous character, and see how the other players react to me scheming against myself :smallconfused:

...... you, sir, are one of my new favorite people.

nickl_2000
2018-02-15, 08:39 AM
I suppose I should clarify as well: I am running Lawful Evil cleric of Helm. A monk might be interesting, although somewhat conceptually bizarre for Helm. I was leaning more towards a Paladin or a Fighter, depending on how much of a warlord I wanted the character to be.

My personal opinion? A college of Whispers bard. No self respecting evil overlord can go without a lackey to find out all secrets and terrify their underlings.

You could easily play him like Littlefinger or Varys from Game of Thrones

Droodicus
2018-02-15, 08:59 AM
Horizon walker lizardman. Everyone needs a sheriff of rottingham type of tax collector, and being a lizardman either way he'd get his 'pound of flesh'

Quoxis
2018-02-15, 12:46 PM
Some of Volo‘s races are by description evil and made to serve more powerful lords, most prevalent the (hob-)goblins.
If you’re looking for someone who won’t do anything but carry out your orders, look at the kenku - gods took their creativity, so they couldn’t overthrow your regime on their own, and they’re naturally inclined to follow.