PDA

View Full Version : City of Kayru, Team Evil



Pages : [1] 2

psychoticbarber
2007-08-27, 02:50 PM
All of you have come, for whatever reason, to the house of Martin Pale. Some of you know Asharra, some of you have other reasons for coming. Nobody asks.

You're admitted into a drawing room with a soaring ceiling and magnificent stone work. Simple but elegant furniture, arranged for each of you, is in the corner. In a large chair next to the fireplace is Pale himself.

He waves you over, motioning for you to sit, and begins. "Good fellows, I have a job for you. If I like your performance, it may become a full-time position. I need you to steal something for me. It's a small gem, but it contains a great deal of information that I need."

"Unfortunately," he continues, "I don't know where it is. I know who has a map, though. My unfortunate and estranged brother. I can tell you where his house is, but be careful, he is best of friends with my nemesis. If you bring me the gem, I'll tell more about our...twisted relationships."

"The reward is...malleable. You may request whatever you like. If I deem it to be appropriate, I will get you what you want. If it is too much, I will ask you to choose again. You will be well rewarded. Now, if there are no further questions?"

He looks at you all, waiting for a moment to allow you time to question.

[He's going to relay directions and descriptions of the gem, I'm just not going to type it out.]

The Duskblade
2007-08-29, 05:20 PM
Fidelis

"yo no confianza usted humano" Muttered Fidelis under his breath in his native language."I wouldn't trust him but we could use a bit of cash flow. Let's take it. If the reward isn't up to standards then we can keep the gem." Fidelis whispered into the minds of his allies via Telepathy.

Shifting to normal speech Fidelis addressed the Human. "Alright human I'm interested. One question. Do we expect a Stealth mission or kill mission?

psychoticbarber
2007-08-29, 05:25 PM
OOCI know you're a gnome, he doesn't really care.

"Your name, halfling?", he asks coldly. "To answer your question, if you encounter my brother, you may certainly try to kill him. Stealth is, however, likely to be your best option.

BloodyAngel
2007-08-29, 06:30 PM
(OOC: KInda vague... I guess we'll improvise. I suggest we all describe our characters and the like, being as this is a new game and it will give everyone a good idea of how to react and respond to each other. In case anyone DOESN'T know about Asharra by now... I'll go first. Let the evil begin!)

Asharra is a pale, curvacous beauty with long black hair that is currently unbound. Her clothing consists of a tight, revealing black top, held together through a combination of lacing and sheer force of will. The get-up leaves her midriff and more cleavage than is anywhere near appropriate exposed, and hugs her figure like a second skin. Dangling in a quite enviable place between her breasts is a small, teardrop shaped pendant with a single jet set into it... stained faint reddish hue. Hung low off her hips is a simple black skirt, slit up the side to her hip on one side... and beneath that, knee-high leather boots of (you guessed it) black, that are belted the whole way up. Around her forehead is a delicate silver circlet, and several rings adorn her fingers... most of them small and simplely wrought. It would take a very sharp eye to notice the finely engraved runes that run across her circlet and one of her rings. What little concealment her get-up has, comes from a long, silken cloak that hangs from her shoulders, it's hood down and hidden beneath her hair. She carries herself with confidence and a twisted half-smile that is equally enticing and dangerous... predatory. She will keep beside the men she entered with... one in particular (Whom I will let MK describe). Someone paying particular attention might notice how she brushes past him as she moves at times... delicate fingers drifting across his arm or back.

Asharra will look over this man before her with a lingering gaze... equal parts admiring and sizing him up. While the gnome speaks, she'll do the same to her new allies... looking for anything about them that might... appeal to her. Finally, after the gnome has said his piece, she will step forward slightly, side-by-side with her large companion and smile, speaking in a soft, lusty voice.

"I am Asharra, my lord... We are... loosely acquainted, I believe. This must be an important relic indeed to require assistance from people of our... prowess. And beyond your ability to get as well... or else why would you make these promises to us, rather than get the item yourself? She will say, lowering her head to him just enough for a long, dark lock of hair to fall across her face. "But you are in luck... I cannot speak for the rest... but all I seek is to learn under you. I have heard rumors that you are quite... potent... in magic. Allow me to learn from you, and I will do anything you ask of me.

psychoticbarber
2007-08-29, 07:08 PM
"You're a clever one," he smiles, "I can't get it myself right now, that would tip my hand too early. If you perform well on this task, I may very well reward you with a lesson or two."

BloodyAngel
2007-08-29, 11:16 PM
"I'm certain I can find other ways to... serve you... my lord. Asharra will say with a smile that leaves her intentions obvious. "But I suspect the others will not be so easily convinced.

psychoticbarber
2007-08-29, 11:34 PM
"Well, they may discover how persuasive I can be. I forsee no problems. Though I cannot act too rashly or openly, my influence rides deep."

The Duskblade
2007-08-30, 01:32 AM
Fidelis

"Can we keep her away from anyone with a spell book in future? Fidelis said scathingly. I would be called Fidelis. Fidelis shifted in the over sized chair. Human furniture annoyed him. To large and he had trouble just getting onto it with dignity.

The Gnome carried a Short sword and a hand crossbow at his side. As well as some sort of slightly curved rod toped with a stone leaf. He had Dark long hair and wore a red head band that kept it out of his Dark blue eyes. At the moment he was frowning slightly. Watching the wizard carefully. His skin was tanned brown. a memento from his years toiling in a slave camp in all weather. His clothes were an odd crossing of fashion and protection. A chain shirt with Gold and black Material threaded though. The Gold runing down and the black across. Over his shoulders a cloak of masterful design rested. And his pants were solid black. He kept himself fairly still. breathing steadily but not much else.

Fidelis looked directly at the mage's eyes with a sudden concentration. He seemed to faze out for half a second then returned to waiting for a response.

Using Mind read on Pale. Lets me read his surface thoughts unless he passes a will save. DC is 12+6=18 Lasts for ten minutes. Requires me to concentrate.

psychoticbarber
2007-08-30, 08:17 AM
Willsave = 26....sorry, I'm not going to tell you his will bonus at the moment, you'll just have to trust me

"Fidelis. Interesting name. Does anyone else have questions? If not, I'm rather busy with projects of my own."

BloodyAngel
2007-08-30, 03:09 PM
"Only where we may find this brother of yours. Asharra will say with a smirk.

(OOC: Team Evil seems a bit... short. Where is everyone? Is it just me and Duskblade?)

psychoticbarber
2007-08-30, 03:12 PM
The man smiles as he gives you directions to his brother's house.

OOCWell, people will probably begin posting soon. I'll re-post links to the threads in the old thread and the OOC thread now.

MountainKing
2007-08-30, 08:04 PM
A large, powerfully built man garbed in black and gray stands behind Asharra, positioned to her left a small distance. He has remained standing, with his shield slung behind his back and as suggested by the disturbance of his cloak, his hand rests on his sword's pommel. When he speaks, his voice carries across the room like the quiet rumble of far off thunder, telling of a terrible storm yet to come. His features, however, remain calm.

"I require only one bit of information from you; did this man whom you wish to have us steal from betray you?" He raised his head then, eyes burning with barely contained malice, "Has he made you drink the bitter cup of betrayal, filled with your own blood from the wound he left in your own back?"

Appearance: Giles is tall, at six feet and three inches in height. He is well built, his muscles firm and well trained. His muscular frame is topped by a head of raven black hair that hangs below his shoulder blades, a length attained from fifteen years without having it cut; at such a length, he typically keeps it tied back to keep it out of his eyes. His eyes are piercing and grey, and he has a fair face and a perpetual five o’clock shadow. He bears a scar the stretches from his forehead, through his eye, to his jaw, a wound he received during his warrior training. His arms and legs bear a number of similar scars, and his back is a natural tapestry of crisscrossing tissue. He has a tattoo of an adult black dragon that begins on his left shoulder and wraps over and then down his left arm, as well as one of a human heart pierced by a kriss style dagger in the center of his chest.

Giles appears almost perpetually as if a bad omen. He favors a garb consisting of a black leather vest over a black cotton shirt. His trousers are dark grey, and are held up with a black belt with a steel buckle. His boots, though worn with travel, are made of black leather, though if one was to inspect them closely, they might find through their scrutiny that the boots appear to be stained a darker shade along the sides. He wears also a black, hooded cloak that through weather and travel has faded to an ashen grey, and wears black leather gloves. In windy weather or for special occasions, he will conceal his face with a black silk scarf.

His boots are surmounted with a pair of greaves, and his forearms are covered with bracers of the same material. The main piece of his armor, his breastplate, is without engraving or markings, and the whole set is lacquered black, to match his shield, which is round and broad. His sword, however, is plainly made of steel and bound at the hilt with black leather, with a twin blood channel. Though plain looking, Giles’ favored weapon is extremely lethal when the victim is taken by surprise, in perfect keeping with its owner. In a sheathe bound to his forearm (under his left bracer) is kept a finely forged kriss style dagger, the hilt bound in black leather like its twin. At his back beneath his cloak hangs his quivers, one filled with red fletched arrows, the other with midnight black fletched arrows, as well as a sturdy longbow that few save Giles can draw properly; the bow is wrapped in a shroud of grey silk, to help protect it.

psychoticbarber
2007-08-30, 08:32 PM
"I suppose you could say he did," the man replies slowly, clearly a mite uncomfortable "It's complicated. Perhaps I'll tell you the story some time, if we ever become closer."

Happytime
2007-08-30, 09:12 PM
A slender male half-elf walks into the room, making no sound as he strode over to stand behind the mammoth Giles, crossing his arms in a bored expression. It seemed the conversation was over... Too bad.

Elril Loreweaver glanced between Mister Pale, Giles, Fidelis and Asharra, with a slight frown on his face. Anyone who knew him, however, would say the expression was perpetual, and he rarely showed severe anger or glee.

Elril Loreweaver is no physical oddity compared to his heritage. He stands at 65 inches, 10 inches shorter than Giles. His exceptional muscle mass added to his weight, but he still weighed less than a normal adult human male. Black hair adorned in various gems and beads hung from his head, restrained in a single cord and almost reaching the middle of his back.

His pale blue eyes are haunting, and if you looked hard enough, it seemed as if he had drowned, and the blue of his eyes had watered down to a unique hue of itself.

"Are we still required here, Lady?"

Leper_Kahn
2007-08-30, 09:54 PM
A slightly overweight human sits in a particularly simple chair compared to the elegance of the others. His expression hadn't changed much at all except to let his hand twitch a bit when the talk of betrayal came up. He didn't seem like he enjoyed being here... Then again he never looked like he enjoyed being anywhere. Except in his eyes. His eyes are a pale green and are always watery and always seem to be on the verge of tears. This betrayed his facial expression which was normally full of disdain and dislike.

My interest in your story would be greater if I had not been distracted by something earlier. My name is Nataraja and if you say this man betrayed you... I am at your service.

Nataraja (Not-er-auge-a) moves his hand to his face and rubs his middle finger over his lower lip. This is a mannerism long known by anyone who had spent time with him. This was not the only quirk Nataraja manifested in everyday speech. Twitching was not abnormal, and when his finger isn't caressing his lip both his hands are in his pockets or folded over each other. It gave the impression of smallness that made chairs and other things that he sits in appear far too big. Nataraja then mumbles only loud enough for those very close to him to hear.

Of course... if you're lying... Th-

Nataraja trails off.

MountainKing
2007-08-30, 11:27 PM
Giles sneered at the man before him.

"Betrayal is visceral; you would not give such an uncertain reply if he had not betrayed you in a true fashion," the hulking man took a step forward, eyes burning brightly, "Do you fear to claim betrayal? I. Am. Vengeance. If you cannot tell me truthfully that this man has turned against you, then I am not as interested in bringing you your trinket as I might have been," the sneer deepened, and his hand left his sword to point at the man before him.

"I will only ask once more, mouse. I have my own-"

psychoticbarber
2007-08-30, 11:30 PM
"You're brave," he says simply, "But foolish. Of course he betrayed me. I simply took it better than many would. It takes more than one betrayal to finish me. You would do well to remember it."

MountainKing
2007-08-30, 11:44 PM
Giles' eyes narrowed.

"I do not traffic in betrayal. I traffic in revenge, and to date all who have thought to cross me have never had occasion to stop and reconsider what they have done," Giles' hand returned to his side, "And you would do well to remember that. If I will do this for you, I will name my price immediately, for it is one that you will require time to prepare. I require information on the current whereabouts of one Cristof Amaros, as well as anything that is related to his current station. After that, for an additional five hundred gold coins, I will bring back your brother's head; if doing so would jeopardize our mission, I will give you a written contract for a later date."

The hulking man extended his hand, this time in a handshake.

"Do we have an agreement?"

BloodyAngel
2007-08-30, 11:45 PM
Asharra will put a hand to Giles's arm lightly and despite the difference in their size, she spoke to him confidently.

"Calm Giles. Not all deal with revenge in the same way. I have been wronged... have you forgotten? She will say, moving in front of him in a swirl of long, dark hair and matching skirt. She will give him a slight smile that he is all too familiar with, and drop her voice to a softer tone, I have already promised our aid. Would you leave me to go alone, simply because he is less... open... about his motives?

(Edit: Damn you MK for responding while I was writing a response to your response!!!! Assume that was said BEFORE you boys made up... )

psychoticbarber
2007-08-30, 11:46 PM
The man chuckles, and laughs, then offers his hand. "I'll tell you what. I don't have anything on this Cristof right now, but I'll do some digging. As for my brother, I'd prefer him alive, for now. He's a fearsome fellow, and I'd hate to have to deal with the circumstances if you failed.

MountainKing
2007-08-30, 11:53 PM
Giles shakes the man's hand with a frown.

"The offer will remain open, then... but know that I only do this because you can assist Asharra and I in our respective paths." The warrior stepped back, returning to Asharra's heel, giving her only a slight glance to let her know that he knew he had nearly ruined their dealings. He did not intend to ask the man for more than the information he had requested for this deed; doing so would strain their business.

BloodyAngel
2007-08-30, 11:57 PM
"Your brother is a wizard, is he?" Asharra will say with a disturbing smile... all but licking her lips. "Do not worry... We will certainly not fail. Though if you want him to live... this will be... far more difficult.

The Duskblade
2007-08-31, 03:03 AM
Fidelis

"I've got some tools that will make things easier once we're inside. Namely I can make us invisible. Among other things. If no one has anything else to say shall we move." Fidelis pushed himself off the chair and waited for his allies to decide to leave.

MountainKing
2007-08-31, 09:44 AM
"Does this man, your brother, have any retainers in his employ? Any apprentices?" Giles spoke quickly and curtly; he too wanted to be on his way, lest the situation change before they could affect it.

psychoticbarber
2007-08-31, 01:58 PM
"He has no retainers. In fact, he's out at the moment. Hopefully he'll stay out, but I can't make promises. He's very close friends with a powerful abjurer, be careful in his house."

MountainKing
2007-08-31, 03:06 PM
"Then we need nothing more. If we have our location, we should go, and immediately," Giles makes no move towards the door, instead waiting for Asharra to give the word; when it came to business dealings with Asharra involved, Giles had learned very quickly that it was best to wait until she was finished.

BloodyAngel
2007-08-31, 05:10 PM
We will return with this trinket... my lord. Asharra will say with a bow of her head, and then nod to Giles, Come then... comrades. We should plan this out as a group...

She'll turn and leave with Giles at her side, I'm sure... and heading off to this place to look about.

Leper_Kahn
2007-08-31, 05:21 PM
Nataraja jumps out of his chair and prepares to follow Giles and Asharra. It looks like he doesn't want to be left behind.

The Duskblade
2007-08-31, 06:29 PM
Fidelis

Fidelis falls in behind. Moving quickly as he could to keep pace with the longer legged among them.

psychoticbarber
2007-08-31, 08:31 PM
"One doesn't hear me say this often, but be careful. If you encounter my brother, be especially cautious. He is excellent at what he does." Pale waves cheerfully as he returns to his books.

MountainKing
2007-08-31, 09:43 PM
Giles pays the warning no heed; he is bereft of fear in that respect. The only thing he fears is that he will die before he has a chance to kill Cristof Amaros for the betrayal that made Giles the beast that he is. As he walked, his movements are calculated and precise, in perfect lock step with Asharra, his stride even matching her's. Every turn was accute, and every footfall he made made the floor tremble slightly beneath his muscular frame.

Giles rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck once he set foot outside; the bones popped and protested loudly, then with a soft sigh of comfort, he drew his hood up over his head. In silence, he slipped his arm through the straps on the back of his shield, and with every ounce of vigilance he could muster, he paid in depth attention to his surroundings as he followed Asharra to their destination.

The Duskblade
2007-08-31, 10:50 PM
Fidelis

"Wonder what this gem is for. By the sounds of things its not something his brother carries on him. But to have the sort of value that we would be hired for it. I would guess it's Magical" Fidelis pitched his vice so no one passing by would be able to pick up more then a few words at most. "Something magical that he does not carry on him. Fidelis troted along keeping pace with the others as best he could. Musing quietly.

BloodyAngel
2007-08-31, 11:04 PM
Obviously, there is more to this than we are being told. Asharra will tell the gnome, looking down at him with a smirk. But how to find this out is another matter... Perhaps we should take a moment and... Well... What IS it you do little gnome? Was that you I heard inside my head?

The Duskblade
2007-09-01, 12:06 AM
Fidelis

Fidelis grinned "Naturally. My skills relate to the use of the mind. Talking to people by thought. scanning their thoughts. Affecting my enemies minds. That sort of thing. As well as a few skills of illusion. Invisibility, false images and sounds. All of that. Fidelis gave a quick look over the group. "How about the rest of you? I gather that the lady is some sort of spell caster. Probably with skills in similar areas to me. And I gather the one hood is our muscle.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-01, 01:26 PM
Asharra will lean down close to Fidelis and slide one finger along his chin.

It would best for both of us if you stayed out of my mind, little man. She will say softly, You don't want to know the kinds of things that keep ME up at night.

She'll straighten back up with a smile and turn to Giles... Gliding one hand along his chest.

This is Giles... My... She'll pause for a moment with a smirk before continues, Let us just say, he is my companion. Oh, but he does not have my sense of humor... and he is very... very... good at killing. Aren't you Giles? Be a dear and introduce me to these... people. It's not proper for a lady to introduce herself.

She'll laugh softly at that, amused by her own words... and lean her back against him... stretching her arms up to his neck in a quite un-lady-like pose.

MountainKing
2007-09-01, 05:45 PM
Giles will tilt his head upward, the only outward acknowledgement he'll give of Asharra's touch, though discretely, his free hand leaves his sword to idly caress her hip.

"This is the Lady Asharra, and you would do well to treat her with the privacy and respect," the musclebound man grinned, his scar twisting with the expression, "that she deserves, no matter what her behavior might suggest. I, am Giles Merchand, and to those who have wronged me and those I call my ally, I am the hand of Death itself."

BloodyAngel
2007-09-01, 06:21 PM
Lady Ashe, if you preffer. Giles always flatters me so. She will say with a smirk, So my little friend, you are a master of the mind... are you? Shall I take that to mean magic? Your kind has a long tradition of arcane talent.

She will turn to look to the well-dressed elf and the slightly porty human, making note of his constant nervous tics.

And what of you, my new friends? From your looks, I would guess you to be some sort of spell-caster, sir She will say to the human man, before turning to the handsome elf and licking her lips, And you... with such poise and bearing... a warrior? Of means perhaps? Your gear is quite fine for a man keeping company with cutthroats and ne'er-do-wells such as ourselves.

The Duskblade
2007-09-01, 07:34 PM
Yes the arcane. And I wouldn't worry about your thoughts to much. I tend to give allies a greater measure of trust then I give most people. Might not be wise but it does lessen the chance of inner conflict. Fidelis glanced around causing his fashionable but serviceable chain mail to clink. His eyes locked on a random passerby. Time for some fun. He thought. He extended his mental talents and started whispering into the mind of the poor sap that had been chosen. His whispering gradually getting louder until the passerby got outside of one hundred yards. "Flesh so fine, so fine to tear, to gash the skin, skin to strip, to plait, so nice to plait the strips, so nice, so red the drops that fall; blood so red, so red so sweet, sweet screams, pretty screams, singing screams, scream your song, sing your screams..." Fidelis chuckled quietly. He loved doing that.

MountainKing
2007-09-01, 08:09 PM
"You need only fear me if you betray me," Giles rumbled darkly, hand still on Asharra's hip, "We should attempt to get the lay of our target's area, and decide what manner of attack would be the best," he murmured, head bent low that his words would reach only Asharra's ears, and possibly the gnome's, if he was feeling attentive.

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-01, 09:31 PM
Nataraja shifts his stance to the right.

I agree with Giles on this. I can't smell the stench of decay yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Nataraja had stopped moving to walk he quickly sped up again to reach his fellows.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-02, 05:09 AM
Keep your secrets then. Asharra will say to Nataraja with a faint smirk, Let us go and look into this brother of his then, and the place he keeps. His friends... his family... There are so many ways to get what you want from a man. I'm sure we can find one.

The smile she'll get is downright disturbing.

OOC: I'm ready for the scouting out of this place if you all are. I think between the lot of us, we can come up with some VERY creative methods of gathering information. Any suggestions all?

The Duskblade
2007-09-02, 05:41 AM
Hmm. I think our best information source and most likely the quickest is servants. Rich people tend to have them. The common folk know more of their masters then is helpful for said master. Fidelis lapsed into thought for a second. Shame I don't know enough to scry into his house. We have to consider to that the job is most likely best done when the guy who, from the sounds of things is pretty powerful, is busy. Fidelis paused again thinking carefully. We should consider the fact magic might not be overly useful. We know this guy has a powerful wizard for a friend. And possibly is a caster himself. Wards could well be in place. In which case disguise just might. Ashe here has the look of a wealthy noble. We have the stereotypical body guard. And the rest of us could do a passing job pretending to be servants. We could probably talk ourselves a fair way into his house." Fidelis went silent his attention again focused on the mental muttering. Switching targets as soon as one person left the range of his abilities. "Flesh so fine, so fine to tear, to gash the skin, It puts the lotion on the skin, skin to strip, to plait, so nice to plait the strips, so nice, so red the drops that fall; blood so red, so red so sweet, sweet screams, pretty screams, singing screams, scream your song, sing your screams... Is it safe?"

psychoticbarber
2007-09-03, 01:14 PM
OOCOkay, as the DM, I'm now officially asking, "What are you going to do?" You don't have to answer right away, please discuss all you want, just letting you know the question is on the table.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-03, 05:24 PM
For all my fellow player-types! Alrighty then... let's discuss this little trick. I think our best bet is to check the place out... WITHOUT using spells, if we can, in case Mr. Wizard has spells to mess with Scrying... and see if we can get our hands on someone with access to his place. Important people have all sorts of servants and the like... especially if he's taking a long absence. Once we've got the poor mook, I'm sure we can persuade him one way or another to give up his secrets! I'm open to other ideas though... anyone else got a plan?

Let us first find this place and look it over. Maybe more will reveal itself once we do.

MountainKing
2007-09-03, 06:50 PM
"If necessary, I can observe the house from the streets, and report what I have seen to you after a short time." Giles cricked his neck, mentally noting that, for some reason Asharra's hair smelt of jasmine today, "Also, if it the risk is worthy, I can attempt to sneak into the place myself, though stealth is not my primary quality."

BloodyAngel
2007-09-03, 07:14 PM
No wizard worth the name will have so few wards on his home that you can simply walk inside... no matter how quiet your step. Asharra will muse, tilting her head to look at Giles, And you are not much of an expert on wards... are you sweet? Perhaps you then, little gnome. You are small enough to escape sight... and I would hope, skilled enough in magic to notice a ward or arcane trap, should you see one.

MountainKing
2007-09-03, 09:20 PM
"Fah," Giles snorted, but otherwise, he remained silent. There would come a time when they needed him, and so, he would quietly wait for Asharra to tell him to do something interesting, or for the opportunity to do something to present itself.

The Duskblade
2007-09-04, 02:46 AM
Fidelis

I'm afraid my skills with stealth is limited without the aid of my magic. I do however have some knowledge of the arcane and might well be able to spot traps of magical and mundane nature if given a minute or two to study. My suggestion is myself and perhaps Ashe here should try to gain some information on the streets. And I would suggest that the rest of you fan out and take a look at the house. If at all possible grab a servant. Give me some time to mess with their brain and we have all the information we need. Heck we can have the sap do practically anything we want if we do this right." Fidelis broke off his mental link to concentrate more fully on the matter at hand, thinking deeply.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-04, 03:44 PM
That sounds a fair idea. Then we shall meet back after nightfall at the Black Stag Inn. It sits ot far from here and the owners are the sort who rarely ask questions. Asharra will say, Look the place over, but take no one that may be missed. We do not want to alert them that there may be an attack. Better that we have no one to speak with, then we alert the wizard that he should increase his protections.

The Duskblade
2007-09-05, 01:59 AM
Fidelis

Fidelis nodded "Black stag inn. I know of it. Ill see you within a few hours. Fidelis slipped off quietly. He decided he would focus on stores and taverns. Claiming to be looking for employment and had heard that a Master Pale might be in need of his services, but wanting to know about the man before he entered any agreements.

Making a Gather information check [roll0]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 09:32 AM
@Fidelis: A few frustrating hours later, you finally run into somebody who seems to know what he's talking about

"Oh, you mean the master of Pale house!" He laughs, "Funny thing about that place. He doesn't keep servants. Kinda queer for a nobleman don'tcha think? I heard he was an adventurer and it drove him just a bit off. Ye can try to get him to hire ya, but he rarely opens those doors for anyone but a fetching young lass from across town."

Happytime
2007-09-05, 09:50 AM
Elril had not uttered a single word since they had entered Pale's house, content to keep silent. As they went about their plans, Elril set out to examine the house of Brother Pale.

OOC
I'm a bit behind, we're scouting the Good Pale's house, correct? If so, then can I get a description... IC, of course.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-05, 02:03 PM
Alright then. Illiiya's "technique" to find out about the good master Pale will involve the following. She's going to use her fun little "face-changer" feat to change into someone who looks a bit less.... sinister. After all... he's the "good" one. She'll take on the form and demeanor of a young, innocent looking girl dressed in a courtier's outfit that looks like it's seen wear before. Not the prim, un-tattered garb that has only seen wear once. More like the kind a peasant might get second-hand and wear to try to impress a noble. She will be a strawberry-blonde with just a trace of freckles across her noise, soft, fair skin, and of course... no weapons or armor in the least. And her name will be... Rose. :smallamused:

Using her new guise... "Rose" will inquire about town, trying shyly to seek admittance into places that nobles or their servants might go... She will be a slightly timid thing, but when pressed, will ask about one "Lord Pale". She will say that she is a performer, and that she is hoping that the lord will sponsor her and perhaps even take her on and be her patron. She will claim to have been invited to his manor, and she is hoping to learn as much about him as she can, to make a good impression when she goes to meet him. Of particular interest to her is what types of women and what kinds of entertainment he seems to favor... but anything anyone will tell her will do. After all... who could resist the urge to help such a sweet and innocent girl?

(Just to let you know... The face-changer thing lets me use Disguise-Self at will, provided I have a glamer spell prepared, which I do. By repeatedly stacking the duration when it is close to fading... I should be able to maintain the illusion of being Rose for a long time... If that's not the case let me know. Also... fear me, for I am Mystique!)

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 04:18 PM
"Rose" spends all day looking for information, and gains the following:

He lives alone and is attended by no one. He's not often even in his house, and when he is it's usually night. Nobody you talk to has ever been in, but he's sometimes visited by a short, long-haired brunette who he greets as an old friend. He's rather reclusive and nobody knows much about him.

MountainKing
2007-09-05, 06:25 PM
Giles will do relatively little for his part, save for make a brief stop at the chosen in and purchase a room, paying a little extra money to ensure that the innkeep's memory stays a little fuzzy as far as his latest client was concerned. It never hurt to grease the wheels a little. Once in the room, he will remove his armor, his longsword, and his bow, leaving himself with only his magical items and his dagger, which he will strap to the back of his belt instead of at his forearm. He rechecks his belt pouches briefly, bringing only his tobacco and his pipe, a black affair carved of fine mahogany.

As he paused a moment more, he placed his tindertwigs and steel mirror in his other pouch; you never knew, really. Head still rolling contingencies around, he idly slid a smokestick into each boot.

As he stares briefly at the longbow he was leaving behind, he reflected briefly on how he needed to invest in something that could reach out and touch someone without being so large and noticeable as his bow. With a shrug, he retied his long black hair into it's usual ponytail, ensuring that it was secure. Re-donning his cloak, he returned to the streets after conscientiously locking the door to his room, and as he traveled, he went without his hood up, to further decrease his unsettling appearance.

He sticks to the streets, carrying only a few gold coins on his person, and he seeks out what could likely be the single best source of information in the area: a street urchin.

Of course, street urchins were difficult creatures. They frightened easily, especially at the sight of powerfully built men who look like they are looking for them... so Giles settled upon searching in a nearby bazaar, browsing goods slowly and with every appearance of being intent, whilst he openly carried in his hand a small pouch, which he held with a loose grip. The pouch only contained a handful of copper coins; his real money was in his belt pouches, where it was secure.

For reference, Giles is carrying: Spell Storing Dagger +1, Ring of Charisma +2, Pipe of Grief, fine tobacco, ten tindertwigs, a small steel mirror, and two smoke sticks, as well as 15 gold pieces and 6 copper pieces.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 08:23 PM
Giles wanders a bustling bazaar where many coins change hands over the course of a few short minutes. At one end of the bazaar, he encounters a small boy with a makeshift crutch and a small bowl.

"Please sir, a little gold for a cripple?" he asks with a slightly chipper voice.

Giles, make a spot check.

MountainKing
2007-09-05, 08:37 PM
Giles knelt before the boy, smiling warmly and speaking softly, that only the boy and he may hear.

"Little one, I want, for just a moment, to reassure you. I do have a bit of gold for a helpless little boy, but..." He paused, his smile fading a little bit before he continued, "I need a little help with something very, very important... and so, if I am to help you, which I will, I will need a little bit of help in return. The kind of help that only very special little men such as yourself are able to provide, because you, my boy, are the kind most often left unattended."

Giles handed the boy the small coinpurse, the five coppers jangling softly.

"There is half a silver in this purse, my friend... but if you think that you, or any of your friends, can help me with this very important thing, then it will become a good deal more."

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 08:43 PM
"Well, I might be able to help. Do I have to move? I can't go far."

MountainKing
2007-09-05, 08:50 PM
Giles smiled, the expression telling the boy in no uncertain terms that Giles knows.

"My dear boy, I will tell you what. You need only move as far as you must to find some of your friends. Do three gold pieces make that sound like a fair endeavor?"

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 08:52 PM
The boy grins, and stands on both feet, raising his crutch, "For three gold pieces, consider me magically healed, good sir."

MountainKing
2007-09-05, 08:54 PM
Giles nodded.

"Indeed. Find all of your friends who may know anything involving a gentleman by the name of Master Pale and then bring them immediately to me. I will remain in this bazaar until you return."

With that, Giles stood and returned to browsing goods, letting the young boy get to his work.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 09:03 PM
Over the course of the day, the boy passes quickly by Giles and reports a piece of information many times.

"Nobody sees much of him, he spends a lot of time away from home."

"He hangs out with a girl who owns her own library."

"He beat up a gang of thugs single handed, and he was never touched."

"He always leaves his chandelier on the second floor lit, even when he's away from home."

"There's a story about a secret passage into his basement that comes up in the sewers near here. Don't know if it's true."

Just around dusk, the boy comes back with one last piece of info, "My friend saw him leave less than an hour ago."

MountainKing
2007-09-05, 09:07 PM
Giles' eyes widened, but he did not show much further excitement.

"My little friend, you have done a fantastic job... but now I need you to do something very, very difficult. I am willing to pay substantially better than I already have for this next piece of information, but to get it I will need to go fetch more gold," his voice fell from simply speaking softly to an outright whisper, and he set his hand upon the boy's shoulder, "I will give you five gold coins now, and another fifteen when I return to the bazaar and receive my information."

"I need you to be certain about this passage, little friend... and I will give you another four gold coins if you don't tell anyone that I'm the one who wants to find out," he patted the pouch on his belt with the nine remaining gold and stared intently at the boy.

"What say you?"

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 09:09 PM
"Can you spare twice that? I have my own contacts to pay off. For 10 now, and 30 after, you have a deal."

MountainKing
2007-09-05, 09:11 PM
"Nine now, and thirty five after. As I said, my friend, I have to return to my room. If you want to have someone accompany me as a mark of assurance, you may."

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 09:16 PM
The child laughs, "If you take my bargaining and increase my numbers, you must want the information very badly. I'll meet you here in an hour."

MountainKing
2007-09-05, 09:22 PM
"I do, my friend, and my anonymity is very, very important. Remember that, and you'll do even better than you already are." Giles will give the boy one final smile before heading on his way.

With that, Giles returns to his room with a small measure of haste. Once there, he shifts a pouch over to his hip and places all his funds in it, so that his cloak will cover it and hide it from view (and greedy fingers). Once he has done that, he will put his hood up over his head and return to the bazaar, where he will settle into walking about slowly and enjoying a smoke from his pipe, the aroma of tobacco easing his nerves.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 09:24 PM
A little over two hours later, the boy returns. Limping for real, now, he spits on the ground at Giles' feet. "The price just went up. We were ambushed by these...these things. I want another 40 gold pieces to pass on to my friend's families who just lost their income."

MountainKing
2007-09-05, 09:26 PM
Giles calmly counts out fifty gold coins, places them into a small bag, and hands it to the boy, before then counting out the afore agreed upon thirty five additional coins and placing them in a seperate bag.

"It's a risky business. What have you learned?"

psychoticbarber
2007-09-05, 09:28 PM
"It's there. The..things caught us on the way out. I'll show you how to get there. Be careful, whatever you want can't be worth dealing with those horrible creatures."

The boy sketches a crude map in the dirt of the bazaar floor.

MountainKing
2007-09-05, 09:34 PM
Giles watches dispassionately, committing the map to memory as the boy describes where he needed to go. Once the lad finished, Giles calmly counted out a further fifteen gold coins. He handed them to the boy and tilts his chin at the boy's limp.

"You've done quite a bit of work today, friend. Get that leg taken care of," he turned, taking a few steps before pausing and looking over his shoulder to say, "For your helpfulness... your friends shall have vengeance."

With that, he makes his way back to the inn, where he returns to his room and removes his cloak and stashes away the majority of his funds, returning to the inn's common room with a few silver coins for drink and food. His companions would return shortly, and until then he would eat, drink, smoke, and mull the information over in his head.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-06, 01:26 AM
"Rose" will try to find out about this brunette then... After all... if she's a friend of his and SHE has access to the house... The whole thing merits looking into. Does anyone know her name or where she can be found? "Rose" would like to speak with her if she could... about the entertainer job... of course. :smallamused:

The Duskblade
2007-09-06, 05:39 AM
I'll take some ale." Fidelis had made his way to the inn and decided to get an ale while he waited. Fidelis flipped a gold coin to the barkeep. "Keep the change. I don't suppose you know anything of a Master Pale. Or someone who can tell me more? I've been told he is a retired adventurer."["/COLOR] Once satisfied with his answer Fidelis slipped off into one of the darker corners to drink his ale. Before he reached there he spotted Giles. [COLOR="Navy"]"Ah Giles isn't it? So what do we know?"

take ten on gather info: 26

psychoticbarber
2007-09-06, 07:09 AM
@Asharra
The lady who occasionally graces his doorstep is named Eladrine Darkweather, the matron of a small library a little closer to the centre of town. She's equally rather mysterious, but you can find the library.

@Fidelis
"A Master Pale?" the barkeep furrows his brow, trying to recall. "I think he came in here once. Fearsome fellow. Took on ten men in a bar fight with just the flat of his sword. He moved so fast..."

MountainKing
2007-09-06, 07:42 AM
Giles simply shrugged and took a bite of his food, chewing slowly and evenly before giving a reply.

"Only that there's more than one way to enter a cave." he said casually, taking another bite of salted pork and chewing thoughtfully.

Bluff check to convey a hidden message: [roll0]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-06, 06:05 PM
@ Elril Loreweaver (goin' WAY back)

Master Pale's house is a small, two-story house in the equivalent of a suburb. It's made of brick, with one door at the front and no windows on the ground floor. There are lights in one upper floor window.

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-06, 10:38 PM
Nataraja decided that his skills weren't in gathering information so he choose to head to Pale's house with Elril. If Elril speaks Nataraja will give a simple answer.

The Duskblade
2007-09-07, 05:07 AM
"Our man is no wizard. Or if he is then he dose not like showing it off. Our bar Keep saw him take out ten men with his sword flat. Probably an exaggeration. Still enough to be worthy of comment." Fidelis relayed this to Giles mentaly. "Any magical protections are contrary of his freind. Who I've been told is a young lady. And he dose not keep servants. Thats all I've got." Fidelis took a long slow swallow from his ale. Fidelis pitched his voice to reach the barkeep. "Could I get some food Barkeep? I'll take the same as him." Fidelis flashed a gold coin in the Barkeeps direction as incentive to hurry. He was also careful to make the coin hard to see. He wasn't going to waste magic on a petty bar fight.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-07, 04:08 PM
Hmmmm... Maybe we should pay him a visit then... what do you think? Asharra will say, ordering herself some food as well... the finest in the place. Are you saying you know a way Giles? I was going to simply pay his home a visit wearing something nice and see if I could get in.

Asharra will smirk and take a delicate sip of her wine... her table-manners oddly refined for someone of her appearance. She'll put the glass down and lay a hand on Giles with a wicked smile.

Perhaps we should put it to a vote, sweet. Should we introduce ourselves good and proper, or give him more of a surprise?

(Ahhhh if only there was an innuendo skill still. Ah well...)

On a DC 22 Sense Motive check only please (I took 10 on that bluff) Should we try and talk our way in using our more subtle skills and magic, or should we invade through the back-door Giles mentioned?

Of course, if the PLAYERS are good with innuendo... Sense Motive is, at times, unneeded. :P

MountainKing
2007-09-07, 04:38 PM
Giles lowered his voice, giving his pipe a long draw before speaking, the smoke curling about his face as it flowed evenly from his mouth.

"The secret entrance seems best... supposedly, some creatures attacked my informants as they were leaving, but... I am not worried about anything a child can escape from," another slow draw on the pipe, and more speaking softly, "If I had to hazard a guess, this man's "friend" is the wizard we were warned of, and she owns her own library... something perhaps to interest you, Asharra?"

Giles reflected a brief second on the fact that he was always stiff and formal with Ashe in public, then continued after taking a drink.

"What's more... a couple hours before I ascertained the location of the door... my informants revealed to me that he left the house, at about dusk."

BloodyAngel
2007-09-07, 04:44 PM
Well then let us visit him tonight. This library will be there tomorrow, I would imagine.

Asharra will finish her wine in one long swig, and smile a wicked smile... the liquid giving her lips a disturbing, reddish hue. She'll stand and look to her new companions.

Shall we? It's a lovely night and I feel like paying a friend a visit.

MountainKing
2007-09-07, 05:45 PM
Giles tapped the ashes out of his pipe, the sound almost like that of a gavel ringing in his ears as he stood up.

"Yes, the evening is still young; visitors would not be rude if they came calling."

The Duskblade
2007-09-07, 09:32 PM
Fidelis finished his ale with one long swig and stared ruefully at the remains of his meal. He sighed. "Yes lets get this show on the road. Fidelis stood and flipped a coin to the barkeep before moving to the door. Waiting for his companions.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-07, 11:06 PM
It looks like we're headed out whenever the group is ready then. Since Mr. Mysterious keeps no servants, and no one will be able to let us in... shall I guess that we'll be taking the "back" enterance guys?

MountainKing
2007-09-07, 11:22 PM
Giles pauses only to recover his gear from his room, then rejoins his companions.

"I know the way to the entrance... follow me."

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-07, 11:48 PM
Nataraja gets up and follows Giles out.

Happytime
2007-09-08, 12:42 AM
Elril spent some time examining the house, until he decided it to be best to return to the tavern, and discern what the 'others' have discovered. He entered the black stag, and as soon as he spotted Giles' hulking stature, he approached the group, and listened silently as he rattled on about a secret entrance to the Pale household. As they leave, Elril can only think of an upcoming battle, and his wrists were visibly twitching, in anxiety to grab his sword and end somethings life.

Prepared Spells...
Cantrips- Mage Hand, Mending, Message (x2), Open/Close
Level 1- Shield (x3), Magic Weapon
Level 2- Wraithstrike (x2), Blur

BloodyAngel
2007-09-08, 05:51 PM
Hmmmm.... letting the DM know what spells are prepared seems like a good idea. After all... I'm no beguiler, with their spontanious casting. Thus, I shall follow suit!

Asharra's Prepared spells! 0th Lv. Detect Magic x2, Prestidigitation x2, Ghost Sound, Touch of Fatigue
1st Lv. Mage Armor, Disguise Self, Cause Fear, True Casting, Magic Missile x2, Burning Hands, Ray of Enfeeblement
2nd Lv. Invisibility, Darkbolt x3, Web, Wither Limb, Command Undead
3rd Lv. Blood Purge, Displacement, Vampiric Touch, Fireball x2, Ray of Exhaustion
4th Lv. Phantasmal Killer, Fear, Doom Scarabs, Channeled Pyroburst x2

I am fully prepared to make something explode into several chunks of flaming offal! No seriously... Don't clump together if we get into a fight. I'd hate for any of you to become "collateral damage". :smallamused:

psychoticbarber
2007-09-08, 11:02 PM
The entrance to the sewer smells, quite frankly, horrendous. The simple stonework is functional, and that's about it.

The sewer tunnels are 50 feet wide, a ten foot wide groove in the centre channeling refuse, with twenty feet on either side to walk.

Following the directions given to Giles by the boy, you come to a certain spot on the route.

Map http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2979/sewersquare1copyqt3.th.jpg (http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sewersquare1copyqt3.jpg)
Scale = 10ft/square, party is at the bottom of the image, [1, J/K]

OOCI'm going to need listen and spot checks and marching order.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-09, 12:36 AM
What do you say guys? I figure Giles is our "meat" and should be in front... besides... as our elven friend has been, til now... pretty stoic and silent... We have no idea what he can do. Is IS well armored though.

What do you think about this order? Giles, Elril, Fidelis, myself, then Nataraja?

Or perhaps Giles, Nataraja, Fidelis, Me, then Elril... so we have an armored man to the rear and our healer up front? What do you all think?

Also...

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Note to self... put ranks in spot and listen. :smalleek:

The Duskblade
2007-09-09, 01:53 AM
I like the second. Having a fighter to the back beats a cleric to the back. Fidelis draws his hand crossbow and loads it with a sharp click. Here's hoping whatever we come across down here is living. My weapons are last resort items." Fidelis wrinkled his nose at the smell."I vote we do this really really fast.".

listen: [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

MountainKing
2007-09-09, 02:44 AM
Giles grunted non-commitally, drawing his longsword and leading the way with his shield. He pauses at the darkness.

"I'm not a bat, you know. Can anyone light the path?"

The Duskblade
2007-09-09, 05:11 AM
Daece liats Fidelis intoned softly. Cupping his hands together. He opened them to reveal four glowing spheres. With a thought Fidelis made them fly to near the end of the corridor (But not completely to the end) and back. Positioning them perhaps twenty feet ahead of the group. "They will only last a minute but they work and I can send them out a fair few times."

Casting dancing lights. Using my gnomish ability to do it.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-09, 10:36 AM
Spoiler: Spot and Listen DC 16 or HigherYou hear something moving in the water, and see a slight ripple at J16

Giles recalls that the path requires you to follow it to the end and turn right.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-09, 03:10 PM
Unless we're going to be sprinting through here, I'd suggest a different means of light. Asharra will say, handing Giles a torch from her pack, The old ways are best sometimes... I'd prefer to save my magic for what it's meant for...

Asharra will smirk at the gnome, and wait for Giles to lead on... since he's going to be at the front. Given her rolls... she's probably paying more attention to her fellow party members than to the sewers. But she doesn't show even a trace of fear, nervousness... or reluctance. She's either fearless, crazy... or actually fond of walking through "god-knows-what" infested sewers at night. Or maybe all three.

MountainKing
2007-09-09, 03:23 PM
Giles grunts and relinquishes his grip on his shield, leaving it to hang on his forearm so he can grip the torch; forget letting go of his sword.
Spot Check: [roll0]
Listen Check: [roll1]

If his Spot check succeeds, I'd like to use an immediate action to use my Skill Trick: Point it Out to give Asharra another Spot check with a +2 bonus.

EDIT: Ha, it does succeed!

Giles pointed his sword at the water and murmured to Asharra.

"Pay attention; there's something nearby, just under the surface... and it's bigger than I am..."

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-09, 07:35 PM
OOC

You guys post too freaking fast!
Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Failed listen but made spot. So I see if, but don't hear it... Hmmm...

Also spells prepared:


0th
2 Light
2 Detect Magic
1 Mending
1 Read Magic

1st
4 Cure Light Wounds
1 Sanctuary

2nd
1 Bear's Endurance
1 Bull's Strength
4 Cure Moderate Wounds

3rd
4 Cure Serious Wounds

4th
1 Cure Critical Wounds
1 Summon Monster IV

5th
1 Cure Light Wounds, Mass

IC

Nataraja looks and sees the ripple. He prepares to fight and makes a very quiet prayer.

The Sun decided we would preserver.
The Moon kept the promise.
And then we carried on.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-09, 11:39 PM
Bigger than you, eh? Asharra will say with an amused chuckle. Let's take care of that then, shall we?

NEW spot check... I guess [roll0]

Also, whether that made it or not... Asharra is casting Mage Armor. I'm guessing I made it on a 17... but youu never know!

The Duskblade
2007-09-10, 01:57 AM
Fidelis

Fidelis shrugged at Ashe's comment."Both have their advantages. I'm not to worried about using my weakest skills early. Especially when I have plenty in reserve." The balls of light Fidelis had summoned moved into a square formation and steadily headed forwards in an attempt to locate whatever had made the ripples. I don't think we are the only ones in this sewer."

Happytime
2007-09-10, 05:50 AM
Elril whispers a quick verse, and even the most novice of sorcerers would know that Loreweaver had just summoned an ethereal shield, to better protect himself. He drew his rapier, and looked to Giles.

OOC: Marching Order? Near the back of the group. I suppose it's a bit late for spot and listen...

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-10, 06:34 PM
OOC: Marching Order? Near the back of the group. I suppose it's a bit late for spot and listen...

OOC

I think this is the order:
Giles, Nataraja, Fidelis, Me, then Elril?

psychoticbarber
2007-09-10, 06:53 PM
A large, black, tentacled mass bursts out of the water at I7, a tentacle whipping out to strike each Nataraja and Giles.

[roll0]
[roll1]

If successful:

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

If Grapple Successful...
[roll6]
[roll7]

As you can see...
We're dealing with a grappling monster. Grapple rules here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm)! I need initiative from all players.

Have fun, and please remember, killing the DM may end the fight quicker, but it's highly unadvised.

Neither attack is successful, you lucky bastards :smallwink:. All I need now is initiative from everybody.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-10, 07:12 PM
Asharra will get a wicked smile across her face as the thing bursts forth from the water, lashing out at her comrades. Holding out her hands, she will speak eldrich words of arcane power... as flames of her own creation lick across her palms... She will let out a sadistic laugh and throw her hands forward... hurling the flames at the strange creature in a massive ball of destruction!


AKA: An elaborately described fireball... Aimed at the wall in G7 (unless it's moved closer by then... then she'll place it where along the wall she'll catch it in the blast... with as few of her party members as possible) The blast should catch this thing without touching the rest of the party...

Initiative=[roll0]
Fireball Damage=[roll1]

Reflex save DC 19 for half damage.

Wow... hardly my best rolls ever. Um... no one get too close to that thing.

Happytime
2007-09-10, 07:28 PM
[roll0]

OOC: There's my init, I'd rather wait til everyone rolled theirs before I post. :thog:

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-10, 09:53 PM
Initiative: [roll0]


OOC

I guess I'll say what I do. If I post after this with a new action then heed that post NOT this post please.

Well... Never mind. rpgwebprofiler is down so I have to wait until it comes back up to post my action.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-10, 10:01 PM
Well... Never mind. rpgwebprofiler is down so I have to wait until it comes back up to post my action.

Just so you know, I just checked, and there was no problem opening your character sheet.

MountainKing
2007-09-10, 10:20 PM
Giles, for his part, will glower at the beastie, dropping the torch near his feet and gripping his shield tightly, focusing on giving the creature a target whilst making himself as difficult to strike as possible.

Initiative: [roll0]

Giles will take a full defense action, which should kick his AC to nearly untouchable levels, even if he's still fleshy and nearby :)

The Duskblade
2007-09-11, 03:21 AM
Fidelis

Quickly rummaging among other regents concealed in his pouch Fidelis drew out three rose petals. Hold them on the open palm of his hand he drew a breath and blew them in the direction of the creature. "Sleep" The word seemed to echo slightly.

Init: [roll0] Well I guess I'm first so.

Hoping to take it out quickly with a deep slumber. If it works the things out for 8 minutes unless some one wakes it. Effects at most 10 hd of creatures. Will save 19 negates.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-11, 09:05 AM
[roll0]

Creature wins init...

psychoticbarber
2007-09-11, 09:14 AM
The creature moves to be next to the party, and attempts to grapple Nataraja and Fidelis (My apologies, I'm not picking on you because you cast Sleep, you're just next down the line :smalleek:).


[roll0]
[roll1]

If successful...
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

If Grapple successful...
[roll6]
[roll7]

Nataraja is snagged, but Fidelis is not. Take the first damage, and if you fail the opposed Grapple (CAN you beat a 50?), take constrict damage as well.

Now! Fidelis, you can put it to sleep, though it's moved to within in range, so casting provokes an AoO. Do you still want to do it? (15 foot reach, 5-foot step won't clear you of it)

BloodyAngel
2007-09-11, 02:41 PM
Please define "next to the party". I've got a large explosion going off soon, and I'd like to know where everyone is, so I know where to aim the thing. :smalleek:

Everyone need to let me know where they are, or I will bear no blame if you suddenly catch fire.

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-11, 04:50 PM
OOC

No I can't beat a 50.
:smallsigh: Not that it's a problem... I could take this thing out by myself!

*Nataraja is now grappled and waiting for his action to do stuff*

psychoticbarber
2007-09-11, 04:54 PM
OOC @ Asharra (and the rest of the party, really)

Please define "next to the party" It is five feet from the edge of the water in the square directly adjacent to the party member in the middle of the order (Fidelis)

BloodyAngel
2007-09-11, 06:53 PM
OOC Ok... since there's about 5 of us, I'm going to guess that it's in I3 or I4 then... THUS.... Asharra shall be stepping back to K4 and aiming her blast of explosive death at G4... By my math, that means the entire K line upwards will be clear of the blast. I suggest you all get clear. As for Nataraja... um... well... you can always heal yourself once it lets you go... right?

As the flames lick up her slender arms, and her hair is literally blown back by the arcane forces she summons, Asharra will laugh. (Think Millenia from Grandia 2, for sheer sadistic glee. Props if you get the reference.)

Stand clear or burn! She'll yell... and from the look in her eye, she's not bluffing.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-11, 09:26 PM
OOCJuuuust waiting on Fidelis to decide whether or not to risk that AoO...

The Duskblade
2007-09-12, 01:57 AM
Well I guess I'm attempting defensive casting. RPGFwebprofiler is down but I think I have 6 ranks, [roll0]

The Duskblade
2007-09-12, 02:04 AM
Also I quick 5 foot step back.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-12, 07:24 AM
[roll0]

Of course you'll just put it to sleep... *sigh*. Lol.

The creature blinks its eyes heavily and releases Nataraja, beginning to sink into the pool.

The Duskblade
2007-09-12, 09:01 AM
Fidelis

Fidelis looked at Asharra"Please don't. The things out for five to ten minutes. We can leave it or Giles can take a shot at just one hitting it while its still asleep. Save the burning for latter." Fidelis approached the thing and carefully examined it. That's one ugly... Thing... You owe me one cleric."

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-12, 03:43 PM
Nataraja brushes himself off and looks at Fidelis shakily.

It wasn't my time yet. Your part in the cycle has earned a longer thread. Consider yourself in for a long life.

Nataraja then turns to look at the thing that grabbed him.

With a prayer Nataraja will stop bleeding and his bruises will heal.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-12, 03:58 PM
Asharra will look down-right disappointed... but will abort her spell. (If I can, at least.)

Well that's boring. She'll say with a sneer. Fine... Giles, put a sword through one of it's eyes, so we don't have to deal with it on the way out.

She'll try and get a vague idea of exactly what the hell that creature is... But mostly will just wait for everyone to move on, disappointed in the lack of carnage. I pity the next thing we run across while she's in a foul mood.

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-12, 06:03 PM
OOC

Note the prior post please. Apparently you can't add a roll after an edit.

So here's me Curing Moderate Wounds from my Healing Domain

[roll0]

*Hopes for luck*

EDIT: Okay 1 point down. I can deal with that.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-12, 07:14 PM
@Asharra
If you're at all familiar with the MMII, it's a Darktentacle. CR 7, reasonably intelligent...it didn't get a chance to do much of it's cool stuff. But I'm not bitter about that, haha, just letting you know.

MountainKing
2007-09-12, 11:23 PM
Giles grunted and retrieved his torch, putting up his shield entirely in favor of the torch.

"Ignore it; the beast cannot be blamed for seeking a meal. We have more important matters at hand," Giles' eyes hardened, "The sooner we have retrieved the trinket, the sooner I will have my information on my enemy. We should move, before the creature awakes."

BloodyAngel
2007-09-13, 01:45 AM
Giles... we will need to leave this way... And possibly with wounded, if there are any more things about. Asharra will say with an irritated sigh, before turning to the rest of the party... specifically Elril Fine. You! Elf! You do it. You have a blade.

The Duskblade
2007-09-13, 03:55 AM
"I wouldn't be to worried about returning with wounded. Even if Nataraja runs out of healing, I have a wand to top us off. That said it would be annoying to have to deal with it again." Fidelis paced around it examining it with great interest. The balls of light (If still in existence) Hovering to give him a good view. "Wonder what it eats? I doubt much would live down here bigger then my fist."

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-13, 11:39 AM
I believe that there is no reason to kill this thing. As Giles said you can't blame it for seeking a meal. Does anyone have a way to detain it for a long period of time?

Nataraja then lights his weapon.


OOC
It is a flaming weapon when lit it acts like a torch.


I'm sorry I forgot about this. I don't use it often.

Nataraja smiles. It's rather odd to see it on his face.

The Duskblade
2007-09-13, 05:14 PM
"I have nothing that would stick around for quite that long. I'm going to advise if we are not going to kill it we get about our business." Fidelis walks back from the body of the creature and stands roughly in the middle of the group. I believe Giles was first. Lead on."

MountainKing
2007-09-13, 06:36 PM
"First rule of breaking and entering, Asharra. Never leave the way you came," With that, Giles started walking; he knew the way to the hidden entrance, and as he walked, he began to explain, albeit quietly that his voice might not echo.

"My informants were attacked when they were leaving the vicinity of the door; they said nothing about the approach. Whether or not that thing was what attacked them is irrevelant; we will not be coming back this way unless forced; now, let's stop wasting time. We have a trinket to steal."

psychoticbarber
2007-09-13, 08:51 PM
A few twists and turns later, you find yourself at a wooden door. It's cut into the wall, there are a couple steps leading up to it. It's closed.

Spot checks, people

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-13, 09:08 PM
OOC

Stupid RPG Web Profiler! I think I have 3 ranks based on Wis.

[roll0]

Edit: O.o Natural 20!

BloodyAngel
2007-09-14, 12:44 AM
Asharra will sneer and move on... leaving the sleeping beast where it lay. She's itching for an excuse to rip something apart though... so whatever we see had best not be alive and/or flamable.

Spot check! [roll0]

And I continue my trend of noticing nothing! YAY! Apparently she's way too self-absorbed to bother looking for things. :smalltongue:

Happytime
2007-09-14, 01:10 AM
Giles... we will need to leave this way... And possibly with wounded, if there are any more things about. Asharra will say with an irritated sigh, before turning to the rest of the party... specifically Elril Fine. You! Elf! You do it. You have a blade.

Elril shrugged, and walked ahead, to plunge his rapier into the eye of the beast... twisting the blade, and ripping it out with ease. He wiped the gore on the creatures own skin, and was satisfied with the results, as he resheathed the blade. All the time, he said nothing, his loyalty to the group so far was quite staunch.

Happytime
2007-09-14, 01:14 AM
(sorry, didn't notice your request for spot checks, and the group advancement. Doubleposting! =P )

After deforming the already slain beast, they continued on, to find a plain wooden door...

[roll0]

The Duskblade
2007-09-14, 01:30 AM
While slightly disappointed to leave Fidelis followed after Giles until they reached the door.

Spot: [roll0]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-14, 11:54 AM
Spot 15+...
There's a small engraving on the stone just above the door. Spellcraft might tell you more.

MountainKing
2007-09-14, 04:46 PM
Giles examines the door quietly; it seemed Asharra had missed a detail once again, and so, he hoped he would find something she could handle... after all, Giles knew so little about magical wards.

Spot check: [roll0]

EDIT: Giles smiles darkly, and points at the rune his keen sight has shown him.

"Asharra, look there; there is something above the door that needs your... attention."

Again, I will use an Immediate Action to grant Asharra a second Spot check with a +2 circumstance bonus, as per Point it Out.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-14, 06:06 PM
OOC @Giles



Again, I will use an Immediate Action to grant Asharra a second Spot check with a +2 circumstance bonus, as per Point it Out.

Okay, if you're not bothered by anything, you can just point it out and she'll see it.

OOC @Asharra
You may want to make a spellcraft check.

The Duskblade
2007-09-14, 10:25 PM
Huh. Interesting little thing. Let's take a look shall we?" Fidelis examines the engraving as well as he can at his height.

Damn RPGProfiler. I'm almost certain I have ranks in spellcraft. And my int gives me a modifier of 6. While I'm not certain Lets say I have a total modifier of ten for now. [roll0]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-15, 09:20 AM
@Fidelis & Spellcraft 25+



Damn RPGProfiler. I'm almost certain I have ranks in spellcraft. And my int gives me a modifier of 6. While I'm not certain Lets say I have a total modifier of ten for now. [roll0]

Works for me. Anybody with Spellcraft 25+ is aware that it's an alarm that will go off when the door is opened.

The Duskblade
2007-09-15, 07:59 PM
Don't open the door Yet. It'll trigger an alarm. Fidelis said calmly. "Clever bugger that guy. I have an idea though. Two actually. One is simply break the thing. Although I would avoid using it. The other I just silence our general area. It's a gamble on whether or not the sound is actually focused here. It probably is though."

Fidelis turned his thoughts inward for a moment. "I have two methods of silencing this thing. One will keep it quite for perhaps eight minutes. The other eight hours. The problem is the second requires me to stay here. And I would probably be better off just staying here and casting the weaker one at it every now and then. I'd hope this thing shuts up when the door closes or after a certain amount of time. I hate boredom. maybe I could silence it then we see about destroying the alarm."

Happytime
2007-09-15, 08:11 PM
Elril happens to catch a small indentation above the portal, and holds up his hand, signaling the group to halt their movement.

"There is an inconsistency in the stone above this door... I doubt it would be a stonemason's signature in his work. Allow me to take some time to make sure the passage is safe."

[roll0]

The Duskblade
2007-09-15, 09:16 PM
Fidelis sighed. "Yes I believe thats the alarm I spent the last few minute talking about a way to get past it."

MountainKing
2007-09-15, 11:55 PM
Giles grunted with disinterest.

"Dispel the rune, mage. We don't have time to take chances, and we don't have enough information to be confident of where the alarm goes off. Erase it, quell it, whatever; just get it out of my way."

BloodyAngel
2007-09-16, 09:22 PM
Such a minor little thing. An alarm? Is that the best our little wizard can do? Asharra will muse with a smug laugh, No death... no fire... there must be more to it. I would be willing to wager that it summons our little friend's guardian beasts.

Asharra will step up to the ward, holding her hand over his delicately... just shy of touching it.

Hmmmm... I have nothing for this insignificant thing. Unless you can get us past it, little gnome, I say we simply destroy the sigil, the door and the wall all at once, and see where that leads us.

Happytime
2007-09-16, 10:37 PM
Fidelis sighed. "Yes I believe thats the alarm I spent the last few minute talking about a way to get past it."

Elril's eyes narrowed towards the tiny man.

"I will end your life and not shed a tear, Fidelis, if you push me that far."

OOC
You realize I posted only 13 minutes after you, and it takes me a while to post, right? :smallmad:

MountainKing
2007-09-16, 10:52 PM
Giles' eyes narrowed as Elril spoke.

"We share an employer; doing so now would be betrayal. Shut your mouth, Elf; you stand in the presence of vengeance. Save your petty squabbles for a time when it will not impede the success of our present goal; we have been hired to perform a task, and don't have time for your behavior," Giles sneered at the elf, "For the time being, if you have nothing that will get us past this rune without alerting the owner of the house or his pet wizard, then be silent."

Giles takes a few steps back.

"Fidelis, if you cannot defeat the ward, then let us move to a safer place whilst Lady Asharra opens the way for us."

OOC: I'm pretty sure that he had no idea mate, though thanks for the roleplaying opportunity! *uneasy smile*

The Duskblade
2007-09-17, 02:03 AM
Fidelis

With a shrug Fidelis says "You need fear nothing except snappy comments from me Elril. Like our fighting freind here I do not condone betrayal. Now as for this alarm I have something that might do the job." Fidelis studies the engraving for a moment. Then he raises one arm towards it palm first, his fingers stretched towards it. Amoveo he whispers.

Sorry I know how long thinking about a post can take. Just seemed like the thing Fid would say. And sorry for the delay. My internet hates me.
Casting: Dispel magic (3rd level spell) Dispel check: [roll0]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-17, 07:40 AM
[email protected] Fidelis
Your dispel attempt was successful.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-17, 04:21 PM
What have you done, gnome? I tire of waiting. Is the door warded still, or not? Asharra will say, petting Fidelis's head. What did you just cast?

Happytime
2007-09-17, 04:54 PM
OOC
Geh? I could have swore I posted earlier today... btw, I love to cause IC waves :thog:

Elril's hand lingered near the hilt of his rapier, but he never moved to draw it. Then, without warning, Elril's face creased into a smile, and he gave a curt bow to the gnome. "Master Giles is correct. While we share an employer, you have no reason to fear me." If his earlier threat didn't put the gnome at unease, certainly the sudden mood swing might have.

The Duskblade
2007-09-17, 05:13 PM
"Good to hear" Fidelis responded easily. Now lets go in. I've bypassed our alarm with a dispel. No mass destruction right now I'm afraid Lady Ashe." Fidelis began to whistle more or less tunelessly as he reached for the handle. (Having to stand on tip toes to pull it off.) And opening the door.

MountainKing
2007-09-17, 06:21 PM
Giles raised his shield out of habit, then seeing that the gnome was having difficulty with the handle, took the moment of time to push his hand away brusquely.

"You got rid of the ward we know of, Fidelis. Let me; should anything happen, it will be my pleasure to wreak painful retribution on Master Pale's little pet."

Grimacing, he lifted his shield another inch, and tested the door, to see if it was locked.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-17, 07:03 PM
The door swings open easily onto a small wine cellar. The other side of the door is masked as a section of wine rack.

Only one person at a time can travel the first five feet, but afterwards it opens into a ten foot by ten foot room clearly designed for food storage. Another wooden door is on the west wall. (Nothing dangerous in this room, so I'll move on)

Behind the door is a flight of stairs going up into the house. It's currently dark up there, but low-light vision would assist in sight (it's not THAT dark). The house is eerily quiet, only the sound of the wind against the shutters can be heard.

At the top of the stairs is a hallway (perpendicular to the stairs), fifteen feet long with a door on either end. The stairs are exactly in the middle of the "hallway".

MountainKing
2007-09-17, 08:13 PM
Giles, having thoughtfully picked up his torch after dropping it earlier (nothing to see there, no sir), found his way easily illuminated.

"We should split up. We know what to look for, we just don't know where it is hidden. Take your time, but work fast; we wouldn't wish to be caught with our trousers about our ankles." Thus being said, Giles hands his torch to Fidelis.

"I will begin searching upstairs; there is always a chandelier lit, and so, I will not be needing this."

The Duskblade
2007-09-18, 02:56 AM
Fidelis

Fidelis in turn passed the torch to Asharra. My own eyes will work fine thanks." Fidelis said. He paused for a moment. And as if of it's own accord the filth of the sewers vanished from his boots. He quickly repeated the process with the others. "That smells better. And it saves having footprints showing we've been here. I'll take the path to our right and take a look around. Look for a study. It seems like a place where we would find what we are after. I doubt he will have trapped anything in the actual house. But be careful."

The cleaning was my Gnomish ability to cast Prestidigitation

BloodyAngel
2007-09-18, 01:25 PM
(I love prestidigitation! Whether you're wallowing in a sewer, or an orc's cave... always look and smell your best!)

Asharra will take the torch from Fidelis and smirk. There may still be wards in place and guardians about... I do not thing going off alone is so wise. Two groups is better. Giles and I can handle ourselves. Why don't you boys look about down here?

With that, Asharra will take Giles' arm and chuckle under her breath.

Lead on then Giles.

MountainKing
2007-09-18, 07:28 PM
In silence, the hulking avenger leads the way, heading for the stairs and mounting them in even strides that matched his company's. Once atop the stairs, he attempts to see if there is anything of interest.

Spot check: [roll0] ; should I see anything of interest, and Asharra does not, assume that I grant her a new check at +2 please.

Happytime
2007-09-19, 06:42 AM
OOC
If there's nowhere else to go, Elril will follow Asharra...? I'm no good w/o visual aid :thog:

BloodyAngel
2007-09-19, 12:46 PM
For Elril Well... the group was supposed to be you with nataraja and fidelis... so they'll have a tank and wizard, and we'll have a tank and wizard. I'm sure they can get you some light. Didn't you bring a torch or a light spell? If not, one of them probably did.

Alright. Asharra and Giles will head upstairs, with him leading the way, and her looking about for anything of interest. Once she's clear of the rest of the party... she'll cast detect magic, and maintain the concentration on it as we move... looking for anything fun that she might want to claim as her own. (Pretty much anything magical, really... She's quite fond of magic.)

The Duskblade
2007-09-20, 01:06 AM
Fidelis

Fidelis shrugged as Asharra and Giles moved off. Well lets get something done fellows." He said. "Sharth." he intoned. Drawing a hand across his eyes. Before he headed though the door on the right.

I'm also casting detect magic.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 09:29 AM
@Asharra & Giles

You find a flight of stairs going to the second floor just to the left of the door. A couple lit candles are in brackets on the wall in the stairwell. At the top of the stairs, you find yourself in what appears to be a small sitting room with a window looking out on to the street. A jeweled chandelier pours light into the room. There are doors across the room and on the right hand wall, the window is in the left hand wall.

@Other Group

You pass into large room, unlit.

Darkvision requiredA number of large cases, made of wood and glass, are in this room. A number of other things are on the walls.

Take it from here!

BloodyAngel
2007-09-20, 04:29 PM
Ok... Asharra is giving the room a once-over with Detect Magic, especially the candles and chandelier, and not touching anything. If nothing here looks interesting, she'll move on once Giles is done poking about. He can choose and open a door.

Taking 10 on a Search Check to find interesting and/or magical stuff. That gives me a 16.

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-20, 04:37 PM
OOC

Do we really need dark-vision? Unless the room before was well lit my axe is lit which acts like a torch.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 05:06 PM
@LeperKahn If your axe is lit, the consider the room lit and you can look in the spoiler.

@ Asharra: One of the gems in the chandelier detects as magical.

Happytime
2007-09-20, 07:17 PM
OOC
Yes, I have torches... Just my luck I didn't pack flint and steel >:o

Elril followed closely behind Fidelis and Nataraja, and as the room ahead became dark, Elril halted. "Have one of you a shard of flint and a pound of steel to strike upon? It would be much easier to see if I lit a torch," Elril said as he pulled a diminutive wooden torch from his pack, wrapped with thick gauze and tar on the top. (Or whatever torches are wrapped with.)

MountainKing
2007-09-20, 07:48 PM
Giles, for his part, will begin checking doors to see what they hide away, leaving the sitting area to Asharra. There are two of them on their floor; it would not be to their detriment.

Spot Check: [roll0]
Listen Check: [roll1]

Spot when the door opens, listen to see if Giles hears anything suspicious.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 08:10 PM
@Giles
The first door opens on a long, quiet hallways with three visible doors, all closed. The second door opens on a small, ahem, discreet chamber (toilet).

MountainKing
2007-09-20, 08:43 PM
Sighing with frustration, Giles looks back at Asharra; she's busy at the moment, so, the hulking warrior sees no problem with taking a quick break. Discretely, he shut the door behind himself, and idly undid the laces on his trousers.

When one spends all day in the bazaar, listening for information from street urchins, they don't have the time to do such private business, really. A few moments passed, and Giles was finished with his deed. Lacing his trousers back up, he opened the door quietly and attempted to begin his searching anew without Asharra noticing, but fails when his armored shoulder strikes lightly on the doorframe, making a thudding sound.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 08:47 PM
Asharra and Giles: Listen check.

Edit: Listen 20+
Just as Giles bumped against the bathroom door frame, another sound, almost hidden, sounded down the upstairs hallway. A footstep.

The Duskblade
2007-09-20, 08:55 PM
OOC: If the room is considered lit then I'll do what I say in my post. If not I cast dancing lights then do it.

Fidelis

"Just hold his axe to your torch." Fidelis said. Know lets see. This is as good a start as any. Fidelis started moving around the room looking for both what they were here for and anything that might be of value. In particular magical items. "Give me a hand here. We want this done fairly fast."

Search: [roll0]
For good measure a listen check: [roll1] Speaking of which BA here's hoping you pass yours this time. But 20 plus? I doubt it.

MountainKing
2007-09-20, 08:55 PM
Giles' head turns like lightning, and he draws his sword, murmuring softly to Asharra.

"Someone is here..." He quietly motions for Asharra to get behind him, and dropping into a half crouch, he predatorially creeps down the hallway, ears and eyes straining as he prepares to kill whomever happens to be home.

Spot check: [roll0]
Listen check: [roll1]
Move Silent check: [roll2]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 09:02 PM
@Giles
No one is in the hallway, but there is a shuffling noise in the area of the door furthest from you (Make another listen check). Among other things, you notice that there are odd brackets on the wall across from each door, and the hallway is approximately as wide as the doors.

@Fidelis
Though nothing in the room detects as magical, it becomes quickly evident that this is a trophy room. In the centre of the room is a pedestal with a glass case, inside of which is a gigantic gem (6 inches wide).

The gem is not the same gem as was described to you, but it has a curious flair all its own. It has legs. They are spindly, like a spider, and appear to be part of the gem, rather than metal attached to it.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-20, 09:08 PM
I guess I'll assume Asharra knows something is up, since Giles said someone is here. I'll make that second listen check though.

[roll0]

Not expecting much.

In the meanwhile, while he was using the privvy... she would have done a bit o' investigating on this magic gem. It's probably just what keeps the chandelier lit... But still... she's curious. Taking 10 on a Spellcraft roll to determine what school of magic is enchanting the thing! That gives me roughly a 31.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 09:10 PM
@Asharra and Giles
The shuffling has gone quiet.

Asharra
The magical gem in the chandelier matches the description you were given. It's about 10 feet up, though.

The Duskblade
2007-09-20, 09:15 PM
Fidelis

"Oh won't you look at that." Fidelis whispers. Drawing his dagger he mutters "Sileanc." tapping the glass softly with his free hand. Then he attacks uses his dagger to break the glass. hiting it solidly until it gives way. Finally he checks to make sure the gem is not trapped before claiming it.

Casting silence on the glass. So no sound within twenty feet of it. Stabing the case till I get though then checking for traps. Search: [roll0] After which I take the prize. (Considering my hand is not eaten or anything like that.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 09:18 PM
@Fidelis
You are now in possession of a large, legged gem.

MountainKing
2007-09-20, 09:22 PM
Giles will observe the brackets cautiously, then move back to Asharra.

"The sound has stopped... if you've found anything, you should go fetch the others, and see if anyone has any rope... we will leave via a window, if possible. I will go see if I cannot find out what the sound was."

That down, Giles will advance down the hallway, taking great pains to move as silently as he could, his ears still straining for any sound.

Listen check: [roll0]

I'd like to take 20 on my Move Silent, putting the check at a quiet-as-the-grave 33.

The Duskblade
2007-09-20, 09:23 PM
Fidelis

Smilling smugly Fidelis whispered mentally to his two companions. "Let's try another room." Suiting his mental sending he opened the door. (Assuming only the door we came in is here. Otherwise I'll pick another more or less at random.)

BloodyAngel
2007-09-20, 09:26 PM
It is time for a hasty exit Giles.... She'll say with a sinister laugh, and begin channeling dark energy across her out-stretched hands. She will chant in a disturbing tongue for a moment, and then release the energy at the chandelier...

Darkbolt spell, aimed at the support of the Chandelier, so it will come crashing to the floor. She's not subtle... and she didn't prepare any "make myself taller" spells. Once it's fallen, she'll stop for a second and listen... because I'm pretty sure that whatever was upstairs will be coming down in a hurry...

Oh, and she'll point out the gem to Giles.

That's our prize... get it and let's go.

For the DM Asharra is going to listen to the noise up overhead... which I'm guessing will come running... and will ready an action to toss a web-spell into whichever door or hallway the thing sounds like it will be emerging from! Bwa ha ha! In yo face mysterious thing!

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 09:31 PM
@Asharra and Giles
As the chandelier crashes down, the first door in the hallway (behind Giles) swings open, clicking into the wall and creating a barrier between Giles and Asharra.

Giles...
A very angry looking fellow, tanned, with short brown hair and flashing grey eyes steps out into the hall, sword drawn. "Run." he says to Giles. "I enjoy a hunt."

MountainKing
2007-09-20, 09:41 PM
Giles spits at the man, sneering as he prepares himself.

"Sorry to disappoint."

Ready action to di-... oh wait, okay, trying to live. Ready action to feint and attack the man's weak point for max damage!

Bluff check: [roll0]
Attack roll (Longsword): [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

If the feint succeeds and I catch him flat footed, Giles deals an additional [roll4] on a hit (+1d6 Deadly Precision, +2d6 Sudden Strike).

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 10:09 PM
Silently, the man replies, shifting his weight and striking unerringly into Giles' muscle.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
2d6

Also, take 4 Str damage, (Fort DC 16 for half).

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 10:11 PM
Grr roller...[roll0]

Note, Giles, all damage is non-lethal.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-20, 10:15 PM
Well... since Asharra is now all by her lonesome with the gem of magical awesome... she'll walk over to it with a smirk and pick it up. She will briefly muse about leaving her companions here to suffer the wrath of the angry owner while she gets all the rewards herself... but after picking up the gem, she will decide that at the very least, she should get Giles. After all... loyal men are hard to find.

(This is, of course... if the gem isn't trapped to explode or something. But very few divinitions are damaging. At worst someone will read her mind... which may very well drive THEM crazy.)

Anyways... the next round after that... she will begin channeling a spell of horrendous DOOM!!!! She figures the door might be magically barred or sealed somehow... But the whole wall likely isn't. She's going to spend a full round... nay... TWO rounds... channeling a "channeled pyroburst"... which will do 9d10 damage to the door, and the walls, ceiling, etc.... pretty much anything within' 20' of the door. (obviously, she will remove herself from this radius.)

I figure that should blow something open... and probably set a chunk of the house on fire. heh. Either way, sorry Giles, but you'll have to survive one more round before the cavalry shows up.

MountainKing
2007-09-20, 10:29 PM
"Pathetic worm!" Giles snarls, "I... am... VENGEANCE!" With a throaty bellow tearing from his lips, Giles lashed out with his blade, determined to bring an end to his enemy.



Arright, first: Rapid Intimidation lets me make Intimidate checks as move actions, so, that's first.

Intimidate Check: [roll0]

Should this succeed, Giles' attacks deal his Sudden Strike damage, thanks to Dread Blade, giving an extra [roll1] per hit.

Now, as I PMed you, Giles succeeded his Fort save, bring his strength down by 2, BUT, as a free action he will activate a use of Rage, increasing it by 6 (as per Reckless Rage). He will then unleash the fury of CAPS LOC- I mean a full attack.

Attack Roll 1: [roll2]
Attack 1 Crit Confirm: [roll3]
Attack Roll 2: [roll4]
Attack 2 Crit Confirm: [roll5]

Attack 1 Damage: [roll6]
Attack 2 Damage: [roll7]

The Duskblade
2007-09-20, 10:41 PM
Fidelis

Fidelis moves along glancing to the sides looking for something of note.

(Basically moving away from the now silenced room in any avalible direction. One question. Can I hear the fight yet?)

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 10:45 PM
Duncan's reply...
[roll0]

[roll1]

If successful, "Acrobatic Backstab" makes Giles flatfooted.
[roll2], touch attack.
[roll3]

Giles, Will DC 15, or you lose your next action. Damage is lethal, punk :smalltongue:.

Edit: He tumbles behind Giles, striking carefully and with surety.

@ Fidelis: Yes, the fight is making much noise.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 10:52 PM
Shortly after Duncan ducks behind Giles, the door explodes, revealing a crazed Asharra with a glint in her eye.

MountainKing
2007-09-20, 10:52 PM
Howling with rage, Giles presses forward.

"YOUR PAIN SHALL BE LEGENDARY!"



Attack Roll 1: [roll0]
Attack 1 Confirm: [roll1]
Attack 1 Damage: [roll2]

Attack Roll 2: [roll3]
Attack 2 Confirm: [roll4]
Attack 2 Damage: [roll5]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 10:58 PM
Duncan grunts in pain and ducks back into the room from whence he came. The sound of a slamming and locking door accompanies his retreat.

The Duskblade
2007-09-20, 11:09 PM
Fdielis

Hearing the sounds of battle and a loud explosion Fidelis Mentally yelled at His companions in the previous room "Get moving Giles and Ashe have gotten into trouble!" Then with a mental bellow made to be heard by any inside Fidelis'es range (100 Feet) he started moving. His message was: "YIELD MASTER PALE I HAVE YOUR BROWN HAIRED LASS WITH A DAGGER AT HER THROAT! YIELD NOW!"

attempting an bluff attempt (Praying): [roll0]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-20, 11:15 PM
@Fidelis' Group
Your magic flickers for a moment, and then shuts off.

I'm off to bed. I'll do some posting in the early afternoon, after my classes.

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-20, 11:18 PM
Nataraja continues to follow Fidelis.

The Duskblade
2007-09-20, 11:19 PM
Fidelis

"The hell?" Fidelis says pausing for a moment. Gathering from the lack of sound that one way the battle was over Fidelis stood where he was. Waiting for some indication of what he should do.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-20, 11:23 PM
Giles! Come. I have what we came for. Asharra will say, channeling one last spell to hurl a fireball at where Duncan fled... setting more of his house on glorious fire, and maybe blowing chunks of the door into his back... who knows?

Then she's turning to leave with her prize... whether Giles follows or not.... and going to regroup with... the group.

MountainKing
2007-09-20, 11:41 PM
Giles howls as the tumbling dog pranced out of sight, sealing off the hallway a second time.

"Vengeance never rests, Duncan Pale! By the time the year is out, I will have spilled your blood and rent your soul from your pathetic mortal shell! I am wrath, Duncan Pale! NO MAN STRIKES ME AND LIVES!" As Giles finishes his epithet, a ball of fire blossoms against the doorway. Turning in disgust, he strides back to the sitting room at the top of the stairs.

"I am coming, Lady Asharra," he murmured, the rage slowly leaving his body, "Lead the way."
This post is brought to you by the assumption that letter C of the things I brought up in the OOC thread is what actually occured.

The Duskblade
2007-09-21, 06:28 AM
Fidelis

"Well it seems they are alive." mutters Fidelis in response to Giles'es yelling. Looking down he notice he still held the spider like gem. He carfully hooked it to his belt via the legs before turning to his companions. "Well it sounds like Giles could use some healing, from what he was yelling. Let's meet up with them."

psychoticbarber
2007-09-21, 12:06 PM
@Fidelis' Group
Short moments later, you are plunged into an unnatural, deep darkness. The wall torches extinguish themselves, and you are left in pitch black. Darkvision only, folks. Listen checks if you don't have Darkvision.

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-21, 03:09 PM
OOC

Listen Check
[roll0]

The Duskblade
2007-09-21, 05:34 PM
Listen: [roll0]

BloodyAngel
2007-09-21, 07:39 PM
Well now that we have the gem, Giles and I are going to head downstairs and try to collect the rest of the group. Granted, since we have what we came for and a clear route out (I think...) I don't expect we'll be trying very hard. Just let us know if we stumble upon anything.

Oh... and Asharra will cast detect magic again and keep it maintained... just in case.

Happytime
2007-09-23, 05:11 PM
OOC
Umm... I think the site that hosted my char sheet got deleted... http://www.coyotecode.net/ What am I going to do? I didn't have any other copy...

psychoticbarber
2007-09-24, 02:15 PM
@Happytime
I'm really not sure what you'll do. I'll see if you sent me a copy, but I can't make any promises there.

The pounding of your hearts in the darkness is loud and insistent.

Suddenly, a hand reaches out and grabs Fidelis.
[roll0](Note that because you can't see you're at -2AC and flatfooted).
If successful
[roll1] (Note that you're small, and your Dex/Str check is at a -4)

If THAT's successful...
You are thrown forcefully through a glass case, and take [roll2]

The Duskblade
2007-09-24, 07:19 PM
OOC: Written into my paper copy.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-24, 07:23 PM
OOC: Written into my paper copy.

...you still have to make the check.

The Duskblade
2007-09-24, 08:06 PM
OOC: Oh sorry. Running on caffeine at the moment.

Opposed trip result: [roll0]

Fidelis yelps loudly as he is flung unceremoniously into a glass case of some kind.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-24, 08:22 PM
Initiative please, from those present.

[roll0]

MountainKing
2007-09-25, 12:58 AM
Giles, as always, is listening intently, wondering where the others had gotten themselves, though like his companion, he wasn't in a special hurry to get to them; he wasn't so worried about this fool Pale.

Listen check: [roll0]

Can I hear the glass shattering from here?

The Duskblade
2007-09-25, 03:23 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-25, 10:47 AM
@Giles: You can hear the glass smash, it'd take you two rounds of movement to get there.

MountainKing
2007-09-25, 06:47 PM
Giles snarled, the sound wet and filled with fury.

"The pathetic wretch is amongst our allies... shall I bring an end to him, milady?"

His grip on his longsword tightened, and he glared eagerly down the stairs.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-25, 08:33 PM
Not him. A man does not flee one fight and pick another. I think they face a differant threat. Asharra will muse with a smirk. Go Giles... I will clear the way ahead of you.

Is the area they are in dark magically, or because all the lights went out? Because being able to see or not will GREATLY affect what Giles and I can do. Just let us know when we're there, what we can see and when we can act.

Happytime
2007-09-25, 09:50 PM
Initiative please, from those present.

[roll0]

OOC
He's baaaack! Much love to coyodecode.net for not dying.
Initiative [roll0]

Roll for darkness (d20srd says 50% chance for a total miss in pitch dark, I'll let psycho decide if it's a hit or not.)[roll0]

If that works...

Elril stabs towards the sound of the commotion, hoping to catch the attacker unaware in the darkness. He then takes another quick stabbing motion.

[roll1] & [roll2] (critical is 15-20/x2)

Should they hit...

[roll3] & [roll4]

Happytime
2007-09-25, 09:56 PM
DOUBLEPOSTING b/c Gitp forums hate me...

[roll0] and [roll1] (critical is 15-20/x2)

Should they hit...

[roll2] and [roll3]

Happytime
2007-09-27, 08:15 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-27, 08:33 PM
[roll0] Pale retreats into the darkness.

The Duskblade
2007-09-27, 09:34 PM
OOC: Are we waiting on Leper?

psychoticbarber
2007-09-27, 09:43 PM
OOC: Until Saturday, at most. I'll be leaving tomorrow afternoon and probably won't check in until Saturday afternoon.

Leper_Kahn
2007-09-27, 09:55 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

From how I understand it I was away from Pale so I will take a turn to get to him.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-28, 12:36 AM
Darkness field, eh? Alright. Since there's no chance in hell that she's going to be able to see into it. Asharra will stop after but one round of moving towards the darkness, and sneer at it.

Anyone who does NOT wish to be blown into small, burning chunks of bone and bloody meat, should step out of the darkness... right.... NOW! She will demand, and begin the chant for a fireball.

For DM Asharra is going to purposely flaw the spell... changing one or two of the gestures and otherwise... NOT casting fireball. What she IS going to do, is attempt to bluff anyone and everyone in the darkness field into revealing themselves, for fear of being blown up. I'm guessing/hoping that he's not a spellcaster, and thus, won't know the real incantation from an ALMOST real one... I figure he'll run like a little girl... but you never know.

If she sees pale emerge, she will use a held action to use Wither Limb on him as soon as she can. If he doesn't in the next round... she will cast Fear into the darkness to "persuade" everyone to leave. Let me know which of these will come up. (Also remember, fear is a cone, and will affect everyone in the area... and that anyone asharra scares takes minor subdual damage.

Bluff Check: [roll0]

The Duskblade
2007-09-28, 04:47 AM
OOC: Am I inside or outside the darkness? Meaning just how far did I get thrown.

"Insolent human." Fidelis grunts. Holding his arms forward he will aim a cone of mental energy around where he believes Pale to be. "WHELM!"

He will also back pedal in the direction of Asharra's voice if she speaks before he acts.

Thats a Whelming blast. Cone radius. Thirty foot range. 4d6 damage. Will save: 18 to avoid.
[roll0]
Concentration: [roll1]

psychoticbarber
2007-09-28, 12:20 PM
{OOC: Dealing with Whelm first. Asharra you have to wait through this round before you arrive (2nd round), though I'll keep your action on for next round, unless you want to change it.}

[roll0]

Unseen, Pale staggers in the darkness.

(Nataraja's turn is spent trying to find Pale, now Pale's action, then the fireball bluff.)

There is a loud popping sound, followed by silence in the darkness. (Darkness will fade in a few minutes).

Despite Asharra's pushes, the extra being does not exit the darkness.

The Duskblade
2007-09-28, 09:03 PM
Fidelis

If we are still in combat then I'll use this as my next move.

Fidelis moves out of the darkness in the direction of Asharra's voice. Once outside he will draw his leaf toped wand. Tapping it against his side.

Use Magic device: [roll0]
Heals:[roll1] damn no dice.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-29, 12:12 AM
I'm fine with waiting the extra round... Am I correct in assuming that the whelm went off... AND fear went off... and no one has come out yet? (At the least, I figured it would get one of the party... since it's a cone and I'm not being selective. She's hitting the whole darkness field.)

Also... any mook who fails the save takes 3d6 subdual in addition to being panicked. Anyone who makes it, take 1d6 subdual and is shaken. Panic = "running like a scared little girl" and shaken is a mere -2 to attacks and skill checks (and saves? I'm not certain)

But yeah... I'm curious if my Fear spell went off or not. Or if Elril and Nataraja have gone yet. Step it up guys!

MountainKing
2007-09-29, 01:11 AM
Giles rumbled with a predatory growl, longsword and shield gripped tightly in his hands. Impatient, he roared into the darkness (as he has been following Asharra like the good dog he is).

"Pale! Step out and face me, worm! Your house is burning, my blade wet with your blood! LET US END THIS, YOU AND I!"

Attempting a... Diplomacy check? My God, what? :p The intent is kind of clear, I guess...

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Regardless of whether or not he is answered, if Pale shows his subdual dealing little face, Giles will activate another use of rage (it IS a different encounter... right?) and make both an Intimidate check ([roll1] and unleash the fury of a full attack action, the rolls for which I will leave to the DM, as I will be gone tomorrow and most of Sunday.

psychoticbarber
2007-09-29, 03:15 PM
Despite your best efforts, another round passes with no-one coming out of the darkness.

BloodyAngel
2007-09-29, 05:11 PM
Not even our allies? Not Fidelis or Elril? Alright, screw 'em. We have what we came for.

Enough of this Giles. We have what we wanted... Let us get out of this place before the coward's house burns down around us. Asharra will growl, and turn to leave out the way we came.

Until we get back, find out this is a clever forgery designed to LOOK like the real gem... and we have to kill Duncan, just out of spite. :smallamused:

psychoticbarber
2007-09-29, 05:24 PM
OOC: Sorry Asharra, I was only speaking for the character for whom I am responsible. I believe Fidelis already came out.

The Duskblade
2007-09-29, 09:23 PM
Fidelis taped Asharra's elbow. "I'm not that short you know."

BloodyAngel
2007-09-30, 03:59 PM
Then let's leave this festering hole before it burns to the ground. Asharra will say, looking down at Fidelis. I'm tired of this place.

And unless someone heads out of the darkness to stop us... we're getting the hell out of this place. Sound good to everyone.

MountainKing
2007-09-30, 04:49 PM
Giles will growl and slam the hilt of his weapon against the wall, but will otherwise be silent; in Asharra's experience, that would be the closest thing to consent the barbarian would give when he was in a killing mood.

OOC: One question: front door, window, or sewer?

Happytime
2007-09-30, 07:35 PM
Elril steps through the door behind Fidelis, sheathing his blades with a disgruntled look on his face. "Have we obtained what we came for?"

OOC
It's hard for me to follow the pbp, being sort of new and all, so ignore my if my character's asking really stupid questions.

The Duskblade
2007-10-01, 08:25 AM
Fidelis

"I think Pale's gone. That or my spell actually finished him off. Not likely though. If you hurt him enough for that to take him out then I doubt he would have tried his luck with us. Still... I like to be sure." Fidelis grinned and took the gray bag from his belt. grasping a furry ball he threw it into the darkness. "Take a look little freind."

That's a bag of tricks I'm using (Gray.) randomized animal from this list.
Gray
d% Animal
01-30 Bat
31-60 Rat
61-75 Cat
76-90 Weasel
91-100 Badger
[roll0] Whatever i is it will have sent or in the case of bat Blind sense. Just getting it to check the darkness.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-01, 08:36 AM
@ Fidelis: According to your furry friend, there's nobody in the darkness at all (unless Nataraja didn't leave. But nobody threatening)

The Duskblade
2007-10-01, 09:17 AM
Fidelis
A small cat leaves the darkness. Being unable to communicate verbally it simply shook it's head. Fidelis picked it up and let it back into the bag. "Well no Pale. Let's go."

BloodyAngel
2007-10-01, 11:54 AM
We have what we came for... and, as charming as it was... we take the sewer. At least we know that way is clear. Then we split up and meet back at the old meeting spot tomorrow night. That may serve to throw his pursuit, if any... off of the track. Asharra will say, moving for the exit swiftly.

Leper_Kahn
2007-10-01, 05:30 PM
Nataraja follows Asharra

The Duskblade
2007-10-01, 08:20 PM
Fidelis

"Why at night?" Fidelis asked while tying the bag to his belt. "If we were to do that we might as well just hand it in now." Fidelis starts heading towards the sewer.

psychoticbarber
2007-10-01, 08:22 PM
{OOC: When you get there, you don't run into any resistance in the sewer.}

MountainKing
2007-10-01, 08:34 PM
Giles glowers in the gloom, shield and longsword still gripped tightly. The adrenaline from the previous battle beginning to wear off. Finally, he speaks quietly.

"I could have killed that cowardly wretch," he grunted, shifting his shoulders, causing his breastplate to rustle slightly, "I swear that one day, his blood will coat the ground, and his body will find its final rest deep in the grasp of the cold, unfeeling earth." Aside from that, he said nothing more; his mind was still too focused on the fight, on the blood that sprayed into the air, and on the strange blow that Pale dealt him which weakened his limbs.

In silence, he walks at Asharra's side, remaining a step ahead of her, to better stand in the way of some unexpected danger.

This post is brought to you by alcohol, and took me fifteen minutes to type. That will be all.

BloodyAngel
2007-10-01, 09:44 PM
I suspect our employer will wish us to ensure that we are not trailed to him... And I want a moment or three to study this gem before we blindly hand it over. Asharra will say with a smirk, Do you not agree, little gnome? Or would you just give away this thing that such a powerful man sought after?

The Duskblade
2007-10-03, 07:08 PM
Fidelis

Fidelis grinned. "Give implies free. And I wouldn't give him a drink if he was in the desert and I had a river. Pay though. Thats good." Trudging though the gunk Fidels added. "Here's hoping the Pale we just robed's freind isn't to good at divination."

MountainKing
2007-10-03, 07:23 PM
"Let them come," Giles growled, "I will tear them to shreds, as easily as I cut into Pale..." he trailed off, mumbling curses and things that sounded like oaths to dark powers and on his mother's grave, typically involving what sounded like the word "vengeance".

BloodyAngel
2007-10-04, 04:13 PM
So... would it be safe to assume that we can scatter and I'll get a chance to study this thing? Fidelis is welcome to help me out... but as he's not a man who's spells come from book-learnin' there might not be much he can do.

The Duskblade
2007-10-04, 07:50 PM
Fidelis

"True my skills are not from books, but I know my way around the arcane world. I'll lend a hand to studying this thing." Reaching the exit to the sewer Fidelis climbed up onto the streets. He quickly cleaned away the sewer gunk magically. Also cleaning off his allies as they exited. (Unless it's been over an hour since I cast it.)

psychoticbarber
2007-10-04, 10:31 PM
@ Fidelis: Your cleanliness and that of your allies is assured.

@ Asharra: How do you want to go about studying it? Spellcraft tells you it's radiating Divination magic.

The Duskblade
2007-10-05, 04:31 AM
OOC: Knowledge arcana? Identify?

psychoticbarber
2007-10-05, 09:50 AM
OOC:


OOC: Knowledge arcana? Identify?

Yeah but which? :smalltongue: I'm going to force you to tell me what you do. Would you like to make a Knowledge Arcana roll or cast identify?

BloodyAngel
2007-10-05, 04:49 PM
Well... First off... Arcana Knowledge. But should that turn up nothing, I will pay a research visit to the library in town tomorrow. Asharra will cast "Mask of the Ideal" on herself... so she should have even MORE ease with social skills (Though she may attract more male attention than she wants... but meh. She's used to it.) Of course, I shall not be going as myself. In fact... I think I shall go disguised as a plucky young wizardess with Ash blonde hair, with thick spectacles perched on her nose. Her name shall be Evelyn Crestmire, and she shall say it like a proper, somewhat haughty little noble's daughter who's daddy bought her magic lessons. She will be attractive in a nerdy "young librarian" way. Giving off the air of a rank novice who none-the-less is struggling to be taken seriously and considered smart, she will ask to look over the books on magical artifacts. If asked why, (Or if she is not) she will inform all involved that her master is a stubborn old goat who refuses to teach her spells until she earns them... and her task for this week, is to identify a rare magical trinket withOUT using a spell to do so. She will seem both annoyed and indignant at this task... as if she sees no reason to actually put so much time and effort into something that magic can solve so easily. Thus, if someone will make her or sell her a scroll of identify... she will gladly buy it... and head off with a smirk. If not, she will simply look through every book she can find for information about this gem.

Oh... should I spy Pale or his little wizardess friend... I will steer clear of them, if possible. Just in case.

She will take 10 on any acting or bluff rolls needed to pull this off, unless she has to speak to Pale or his friend directly. This will give her a 22 in acting, and a 26 in Bluff. I'm not sure which one is more relevant.

For the initial arcane knowledge check however... [roll0]

Social skills... Not just for bards, baby!