PDA

View Full Version : Cool ways players use a magic item that wasn't Intended for.

Throne12
2018-02-15, 08:26 AM
So I'm running a new world Exploratory game. I then gave my players a folding boat magic item to use. They have come up with a cool way to use it other then a boat. The wizard pick Mordenkainen Private Sanctum. So they would unfold the boat into it galley form then the wizard would cast MPS over it and leave the Artificer's giant robot owl on watch. This was a very clever way to camp out in the wild. Because first it winter in the game so they have to deal with the snow and cold winds. Then back in the frontier town they learn that no one is to be out at night other wise something will swipe them up and never be heard from again. Or attacked by large killer swarms of bugs. And everything is attractive to light.

So what cool ways your players did something like this.

Aett_Thorn
2018-02-15, 08:40 AM
The DM had us marching through a tunnel that was getting hotter and hotter as we got further in. He was going to make us start making Con saving throws or begin taking Exhaustion levels. Then one of the players remembered that they had a Decanter of Endless Water, and asked if they could constantly spray us all down to keep us cool.

DM seemed annoyed that he had been foiled, but let us do it. Yay water!

Afrodactyl
2018-02-15, 08:40 AM
Unbreakable Arrows and the magic super glue (can't remember the name) makes a handy unbreakable ladder/ten foot pole/barricade/etc.

GooeyChewie
2018-02-15, 09:18 AM
Once upon a time (I think it was in 2nd edition - before my time), a friend of mine received a magical ice cube, which was always melting but never melted away. He used the item for all sorts of purposes never intended by the DM. Eventually the ice cube met its fate when the player threw it into a fire elemental (the fire elemental ALSO met its fate in the process, as the ice cube caused damage over time).

Since then, the ice cube has passed into legend, and will still incorporate it in campaigns today. It often comes with a message from Elminster about the great legacy behind the item. In one campaign I ran at around the start of the 5e, the adventurers discovered coffee beans and used Burning Hands to roast them and get an endless supply of pure water from the ice cube. At the end of the campaign they retired and started a coffee shop.

Throne12
2018-02-15, 09:38 AM
Once upon a time (I think it was in 2nd edition - before my time), a friend of mine received a magical ice cube, which was always melting but never melted away. He used the item for all sorts of purposes never intended by the DM. Eventually the ice cube met its fate when the player threw it into a fire elemental (the fire elemental ALSO met its fate in the process, as the ice cube caused damage over time).

Since then, the ice cube has passed into legend, and will still incorporate it in campaigns today. It often comes with a message from Elminster about the great legacy behind the item. In one campaign I ran at around the start of the 5e, the adventurers discovered coffee beans and used Burning Hands to roast them and get an endless supply of pure water from the ice cube. At the end of the campaign they retired and started a coffee shop.

That is great now all I can picture is Retired Adventurers using magic items in weird ways to run businesses.

A flame tounge under a run bathtubs to have a heated bath. A bard using a eversmoke bottle as stage smoke.

nickl_2000
2018-02-15, 09:49 AM
I'm not sure if these are cool or mundane retired adventure things :)

Carpet of Flying - Place furniture on it and have it lift if up for easy moving
Wind Fan - Open all windows and doors in the house, then use this to dust the entire house.
Bag of Devouring - Quick and Easy trash compactor
Slippers of Spider Climbing - Easily paint ceilings and tall walls
Periapt of Proof Against Poison - Reenact scenes from Princess Bride