PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Ranged Feat for reactions

nickl_2000
2018-02-15, 09:08 AM
How broken would it be to allow someone to take a feat to make AoOs and give reactions for ranged weapons?

Ranged Weapon Opportunist
-When someone provokes an attack of opportunity, you may use your reaction to make a ranged attack with a readied weapon
-When an ally makes an attack against an opponent within you range, you make take advantage of their distraction and make a ranged attack against them as a reaction

Vogie
2018-02-15, 09:35 AM
I would give it a specific set range. A Longbowman being able to make AoOs from 600ft away is absurd.

Perhaps limit it to a range within 30-60ft. It's larger than melee AoOs, but not overly so.

nickl_2000
2018-02-15, 09:40 AM
I would give it a specific set range. A Longbowman being able to make AoOs from 600ft away is absurd.

Perhaps limit it to a range within 30-60ft. It's larger than melee AoOs, but not overly so.

Yes of course, that doesn't make much sense does it. How about this instead?

-When an enemy moves from adjacent to you to at least 5 feet from you, you may use your reaction to make a ranged attack with a readied ranged weapon.
-When an ally makes an attack against an opponent within your range, you make use their distraction and make a ranged attack against them as a reaction

Crgaston
2018-02-15, 09:55 AM

-When an enemy moves from adjacent to you to at least 5 feet from you, you may use your reaction to make a ranged attack with a readied ranged weapon.
-When an ally makes an attack against an opponent within your range, you make use their distraction and make a ranged attack against them as a reaction

That second point would double every Rogue’s DPR. The first one by itself would be sufficient, I think.

Terdarius
2018-02-15, 09:55 AM

The first line seems to be similar to what a part of the sentinel feat does, so I guess it's fine power wise. (asuming it provokes even if the disengage action is taken) Its a bit weird thematically though, and will probably not happen very often, since melee would want to be in your face.
Perhaps you should change it to something like:
-Whenever you move more than 10 feet from an adjacent enemy, you may use make a single attack with a readied ranged weapon as a bonus action.
That shouldn't happen to often for it to be overpowered i think?

The second line seems pretty powerful though, perhaps change it to:
- Whenever an ally makes a melee opportunity attack against an enemy, you may use your reaction to make a ranged attack with a readied ranged weapon against the same enemy.

I think that would be ok power wise.

nickl_2000
2018-02-15, 09:57 AM
That second point would double every Rogue’s DPR. The first one by itself would be sufficient, I think.

I was wondering about that. So, yes it would break everything considering the Rogues sneak attack die. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

rbstr
2018-02-15, 11:39 AM
I think you could do "If an ally makes an opportunity attack you can use your reaction to make one too". It's strong but it's not something you or your allies can force-activate every round. It might actually be a half-feat.

Definitely don't let it key off stuff that is pretty much for sure happening just about every round. That's just way too strong to add on to the advantages ranged weapons/classes can have.

nickl_2000
2018-02-15, 12:05 PM
-You get +1 to Dex
-When an ally gets an attack of opportunity against a opponent, you may use the temporary distraction caused by it to make a ranged attack against the same opponent as a reaction.

Does that work? Still useful, but it restricts it significantly.