PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Simple class templates

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-15, 12:58 PM
So the simple class templates, would you allow players to use them? I'm on the ropes about it, though none of my players have asked about them yet, what do you guys think?

I've always been pretty open about templates, I can see how these would make some interesting characters, but at the same time I can see that they are usually meant for the GM to simply beef up enemies.

legomaster00156
2018-02-15, 01:08 PM
No. The simple class templates are purely for redeveloping creatures on the fly, not for use by PC's or most pre-developed creatures.

Psyren
2018-02-15, 01:36 PM
They are intended for monsters, like making that elder treant into a decent druid without sending its HD and CR into the stratosphere. PCs should not be using them, though you could make a case for companions getting them in a high-powered game.

unseenmage
2018-02-15, 08:22 PM
Honestly, they're a hot mess. I use them at a high op table as a player experimentally and wow are they a mess.

Just a heads up, the simple wizard (maybe all the spellcasters, I don't remember) can only cast in combat by RAW, doesn't need a component pouch, and doesn't need verbal or somatic components.

For comparison look at the Naga (snake with woman's head) and how it just casts as a spellcaster sans arms and spell components.

Just be ready to hot glue gun the rules in places if you allow them.

legomaster00156
2018-02-15, 08:27 PM
Honestly, they're a hot mess. I use them at a high op table as a player experimentally and wow are they a mess.

Just a heads up, the simple wizard (maybe all the spellcasters, I don't remember) can only cast in combat by RAW, doesn't need a component pouch, and doesn't need verbal or somatic components.

For comparison look at the Naga (snake with woman's head) and how it just casts as a spellcaster sans arms and spell components.

Just be ready to hot glue gun the rules in places if you allow them.
I don't think they're intended to be used with any deep level of thought put into them. They're an on-the-fly thematic buff to make encounters interesting.

unseenmage
2018-02-15, 08:36 PM
I don't think they're intended to be used with any deep level of thought put into them. They're an on-the-fly thematic buff to make encounters interesting.

Agreed.

Coming from 3.5 I tend to give templates a good hard level of thought. :smallsmile: