PDA

View Full Version : Player Help My backup character, advice wanted.

Aurich
2018-02-15, 04:10 PM
I'm currently playing a paladin in 5E. For convenience sake i'd like to have a backup character mostly thought out in case I'm running into some bad luck with im.

I have settled on a Tabaxi Revised ranger with a panther pet companion.
I'm going with a survival , stealth, animal handling set of skills with the folk hero background. for now if he has to replace the paladin he will be lvl 6.

I'm a bit stuck on fighting style.

I'm not really aiming for optimization, but rather a fun build. I was thinking of going two weapon fighting, picking up 2 scimitars, thinking of the Legolas character and catlike shenanigans.
at lvl 4 possibly taking either mobile, or TWF. As for style i think to aim for a skirmisher like one. using the bow to pick of sole or weak targets, and be versatile. as for fun, a whip will also be in my arsenal.

I'd like to hear from other ranger players what they would think of it. As it would be the first time playing a ranger. tips and such.

For now the other characters in the group are a rogue swashbuckler and a barbarian. Possibly a druid too.

Specter
2018-02-15, 05:07 PM
If your panther will be tripping dudes, it's better to use two swords or sword and board to avoid disadvantage at range.

Rangers can deal quite a bit of damage and control at the same time with spells like Ensnaring Strike and Spike Growth. If you want uber heals, take s level of Life Cleric for massive Goodberries.