PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Hexer Build

Thurbane
2018-02-15, 04:25 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could critique my Hexer build. I'm hoping to use this as a PC at some point in the (distant) future.

Lupin Archivist 6/Ruathar 3/Dragonslayer 1/Hexer 10

Locked in feats: (Expeditious) Dodge, Iron Will

Ruathar is mainly there for Hexer skill reqs (Survival 10 ranks), and it doesn't lose any caster levels.

Recommended changes? Recommended feats?

Cheer - T

The Viscount
2018-02-15, 10:50 PM
Lupin's a fun race. Be sure to nab alter self so you can enjoy some nice monstrous humanoid forms. My top picks are Groundling for burrow, Kir-lanan gargoyle for 90 foot fly speed, and thri-kreen for general combat and movement.

Archivist for hexer is a smart choice, I assume you're using a scroll from a shugenja to qualify?

If you're not too sold on Ruathar and want some more archivist levels, you could nab survival through Apprentice (woodsman).

I admit I'm confused as to the role the dragonslayer dip is playing here. Is it the aura of courage you're interested in?

Since all the Hexes are gaze based, they can benefit from the gaze-related feats in Serpent Kingdoms. Narrowed Gaze might be necessary in tight quarters, and piercing gaze gives it some more oomph but they're all worth looking at.

Since Archivist already has some focus on rolling knowledge checks against enemies, might I suggest knowledge devotion as a way to further reward knowledge rolls?

What is your stance on obtaining Iron will via the otyugh hole?

Thurbane
2018-02-15, 11:08 PM
Lupin's a fun race. Be sure to nab alter self so you can enjoy some nice monstrous humanoid forms. My top picks are Groundling for burrow, Kir-lanan gargoyle for 90 foot fly speed, and thri-kreen for general combat and movement.

Archivist for hexer is a smart choice, I assume you're using a scroll from a shugenja to qualify?

Most likely from an Adept.

If you're not too sold on Ruathar and want some more archivist levels, you could nab survival through Apprentice (woodsman).

True; I generally like to keep feats free, but it's certainly an option.

I admit I'm confused as to the role the dragonslayer dip is playing here. Is it the aura of courage you're interested in?

Primarily for heavy armor and martial weapon proficiency.

Since all the Hexes are gaze based, they can benefit from the gaze-related feats in Serpent Kingdoms. Narrowed Gaze might be necessary in tight quarters, and piercing gaze gives it some more oomph but they're all worth looking at.

Since Archivist already has some focus on rolling knowledge checks against enemies, might I suggest knowledge devotion as a way to further reward knowledge rolls?

Great suggestions, thanks.

What is your stance on obtaining Iron will via the otyugh hole?

It would be dependent on the DM, but I don't fancy my chances.

Venger
2018-02-16, 01:30 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could critique my Hexer build. I'm hoping to use this as a PC at some point in the (distant) future.

Lupin Archivist 6/Ruathar 3/Dragonslayer 1/Hexer 10

Locked in feats: (Expeditious) Dodge, Iron Will

Ruathar is mainly there for Hexer skill reqs (Survival 10 ranks), and it doesn't lose any caster levels.

Recommended changes? Recommended feats?

Cheer - T

I'm a little unclear as to the benefits you're reaping from dragonslayer. Those are some steep taxes to pay to enter. D&D characters just use one weapon all the time. Do you plan on using something ruathar doesn't give you access to, such as the greatsword?

Even if that's true, you can get access to whatever you need through master's touch via divine bard. As a caster, armor's not super important to you since you can get better bonuses from spells.

for completeness's sake, you can also get lightning bolt from a mulan wizard or warmage with southern magician.

I know you're being brutish, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention muckdweller. it's my favorite race when monstrous humanoid is required.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-02-16, 01:54 AM
Dragonslayer is to get a +16 BAB at 20th level. Don't forget you can visit the Otyugh Hole in CS to get Iron Will for 3,000 gp. I'd use Midnight Dodge to qualify, just to have more options.

I'd personally go for Archivist 11 in the build, dip one level of something early for Survival, and finish with Hexer 8.

Thurbane
2018-02-16, 02:06 AM
Dragonslayer is to get a +16 BAB at 20th level.

This. I don't want to have to rely on Divine Power to hit BAB +16 by 20th.

Anthrowhale
2018-02-19, 09:59 AM
You might consider Holt Warden instead of Ruathar as it adds domain spells.

I'm unclear on the value of delaying entry into Hexer. Maybe just Archivist 6/Holt Warden 1/Hexer 10?

Thurbane
2018-02-19, 03:50 PM
You might consider Holt Warden instead of Ruathar as it adds domain spells.

I'm unclear on the value of delaying entry into Hexer. Maybe just Archivist 6/Holt Warden 1/Hexer 10?

I'll look into Holt Warden.

Delaying Hexer means your bonus Sor/Wiz spells are of higher level.

Anthrowhale
2018-02-19, 05:28 PM
Delaying Hexer means your bonus Sor/Wiz spells are of higher level.

If you enter at level 10 rather than 11, you'll have the same spell distribution with a level earlier access for each spell. If you enter at level 8, then you'll trade one 9th level spell for a 5th level wizard spell 2 levels earlier. On balance, I'd probably go for the 5th level wizard spell 2 levels earlier unless the campaign started at a high level.