PDA

View Full Version : Crafting Feats

Falontani
2018-02-15, 08:52 PM
What is the benefits to each Item Creation Feat?
Which are the best? Which are traps? Why would anyone take Craft Wand other than flavor? Brew Potion?

For the intent of this conversation please refrain from talking about feats that lower crafting costs or classes that get these as bonus feats. I am specifically after the pro/con to each of the actual Item Creation item creation feats.

RFLS
2018-02-15, 08:55 PM
Which are the best? Which are traps? Why would anyone take Craft Wand other than flavor? Brew Potion?

For the intent of this conversation please refrain from talking about feats that lower crafting costs or classes that get these as bonus feats. I am specifically after the pro/con to each of the actual Item Creation item creation feats.

Craft Wondrous item (if for no other reason than spell traps), followed by Craft Wand are probably the best feats. Wondrous Item gives you access to effect not always directly accessible by spells. It also tends to have the most perma-buffs. Craft Wand gives you regular access to situational buff spells; it also frees you from the need for a group healer via wands of CLW.

Mike Miller
2018-02-15, 08:57 PM
The benefits are that you can make items? The best depends on what you want to make? Really, this is highly campaign dependent. If you don't have much downtime then none are useful. If you have all the time in the world and resources galore, then they could all find uses. If you have a more specific goal, it could refine the answer.

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-02-15, 09:00 PM
Craft wonderous and craft magic arms and armor are probably the two that are the most useful unless you're wanting to specialize, brew potion and scribe scroll are useful because you can actually craft more than 1 a day if you're making low level ones (Under 250 gp)

That's my opinion though, I'm sure others have theirs.

Matrota
2018-02-15, 09:04 PM
If your DM allows player crafters to create custom magic items based off of the table in the DMG, then craft wondrous is probably the best due to the sheer flexibility in items you can create.

Falontani
2018-02-15, 09:08 PM
is there anything limiting someone from crafting a Masterwork lets say... glove with 50 uses of Cure Light Wounds set to spell completion or Spell Trigger, with Craft Wondrous Items?

RFLS
2018-02-15, 09:10 PM
is there anything limiting someone from crafting a Masterwork lets say... glove with 50 uses of Cure Light Wounds set to spell completion or Spell Trigger, with Craft Wondrous Items?

DM permission, as outlined in the DMG.

Troacctid
2018-02-15, 10:33 PM
I think Craft Contingent Spell is the most powerful crafting feat. It's on the expensive side if you're crafting a bunch of em, but the action economy advantage of contingencies is huge.

Telonius
2018-02-15, 10:36 PM
Brew Potion is probably the weakest. While they're more versatile (anyone can use one), they're also far more expensive than an equal-level Scroll.

Fizban
2018-02-16, 12:12 AM

The benefit of each item creation feat is the ability to make exactly the item you want- not neccesarily custom items (which still require DM permission), but stuff that isn't available for sale. The DMG does generally support the purchase of items, but it does not guarantee this without limits, and they DM may impose restrictions if they choose, but a character allowed to take an item creation feat can convert cash into crafting materials and make any item they qualify for, guaranteed.

There are no trap creation feats, only feats that you shouldn't have taken because you aren't using them. I'm not sure where you got the idea that Craft Wand is in any way bad, when its actually one of the most common and most powerful courtesy of the Artificer and supplementary feats Wand Mastery and Dual Wand Wielder (and the Cannith Wand Adept PrC). Brew Potion is indeed pretty poor for PCs that actually function as a team and always know when they're fighting, but the specific use of potions is to let non-casters activate buffs on themselves, and that saves actions: thus, any game where you might be suddenly attacked (or dispelled) and would rather have your spellcasters spend their first rounds on offense or BFC, might find use in Brew Potion to let the non-casters set up their own buffs.