PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Hermit's Discovery

AureusFulgens
2018-02-15, 11:12 PM
I have two Hermits in my campaign, a genasi Stone Sorcerer who worked in a mine and an aarakocra Moon Druid who spent some time meditating in the wild. It recently came to my attention that they should have Discoveries, and I'd really like to come up with something interesting for them, but this is not something I've previously tackled, so I'm uncertain of how to go about it.

Ideas I've come up with:

There's a legendary lost city where the final stages of the campaign should take place, and one of them might have discovered it.
The villain of the campaign is a member of a race of wild gods who are widely believed to be gone, and one of them might have found that another of them is awake and active.
There is an ancient magical tool, the Gosiliot Brush, that was used by the order of Knights they work for ages ago but has been lost. One of them might have found a partially working one.

So I guess my question is, if you all have used this feature, how did you handle it? What sorts of Discoveries did you give your Hermits?

Ventruenox
2018-02-16, 12:09 AM
Forty-two.

AureusFulgens
2018-02-16, 12:44 AM
Forty-two.

[...] It might be a great truth about the cosmos, [...]

You know, it fits.

Cespenar
2018-02-16, 03:11 AM
I have two Hermits in my campaign, a genasi Stone Sorcerer who worked in a mine and an aarakocra Moon Druid who spent some time meditating in the wild. It recently came to my attention that they should have Discoveries, and I'd really like to come up with something interesting for them, but this is not something I've previously tackled, so I'm uncertain of how to go about it.

Ideas I've come up with:

There's a legendary lost city where the final stages of the campaign should take place, and one of them might have discovered it.
The villain of the campaign is a member of a race of wild gods who are widely believed to be gone, and one of them might have found that another of them is awake and active.
There is an ancient magical tool, the Gosiliot Brush, that was used by the order of Knights they work for ages ago but has been lost. One of them might have found a partially working one.

So I guess my question is, if you all have used this feature, how did you handle it? What sorts of Discoveries did you give your Hermits?

Those are pretty cool ideas. You should develop them.

In my case, I had done an "ongoing" Discovery for one of my players, showing him nightmares about the various ways their quest could end badly.