PDA

View Full Version : Whats my XP after curing lycanthropy

AthasianWarlock
2018-02-15, 11:55 PM
I am trying to find the rules on losing level adjustments but its leaving me scratching my head. Senario:

I am a fighter 1 / wearboar with 3 hit die and a LA of 2. My ECL is 6. I go along and make level 7. I am now fighter 2/ wearboar with 21k xp. Our party makes it back and I pay for a break enchantment. I lose the wearboar template. I lose 3 racial hit die and 2 LA. What is my XP? Is it 2000? Or am I level 2 with 12.5k xp since per the srd losing a level puts you mid way between the last two levels?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-02-16, 12:18 AM
I am trying to find the rules on losing level adjustments but its leaving me scratching my head. Senario:

I am a fighter 1 / wearboar with 3 hit die and a LA of 2. My ECL is 6. I go along and make level 7. I am now fighter 2/ wearboar with 21k xp. Our party makes it back and I pay for a break enchantment. I lose the wearboar template. I lose 3 racial hit die and 2 LA. What is my XP? Is it 2000? Or am I level 2 with 12.5k xp since per the srd losing a level puts you mid way between the last two levels?

Assuming an afflicted lycanthrope, your xp didn't change when you gained the template so why would it change when you lose it?

Now it will change, probably dramatically, the next time you gain xp.

If you gain xp and it would put you past the threshold for your next level, you level up. That's cool. PHB 58, however, says a character can only gain one level at a time and that, if he would gain more than one, stops 1xp short of making the second. This kind sucks since it means you're probably going to lose a crap-load of xp.

Go buy, steal, or borrow a thought bottle ASAP.

Rebel7284
2018-02-16, 02:02 AM
The best way I have found to abuse this is Savage Bard 1/Were-Fleshraker 4/Ur-Priest 4 (+2LA).
Break the curse and enjoy your fast progression. Even without thought bottle shenanigans, leveling will be very fast.

AthasianWarlock
2018-02-16, 10:25 AM
Plan was binder/1 ur priest /1 anima mage /10 Trenebous apostate /5

Then maybe a prc like contemplative that grants a domain and use the heratic of the faith to swap it for magic so I have access to any spell.

JyP
2018-02-16, 11:25 AM
As a DM, I would propose to the player :

- all 6,000 XP to go from ECL 6 to ECL 7 would be converted to : Figher 2 / Barbarian 2 (level 4, 6000 XP)
=> Fighter 2 as you trained for this.
=> Barbarian 2 as you learned to awake your inner beast, fluff-wise. You can go boar totem barbarian, totemist or other matching class if you want.

Segev
2018-02-16, 05:13 PM
As a DM, I’d either let a player in this situation be the leve his XP suggests, or I’d let him have a magic item that takes 5x his lost xp in market gp value in compensation.